PDA

View Full Version : Photopass CD Price Increase

DizneyFreak2002
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
On June 16th, the price of the Photopass CD is increasing to $149.00...

yjgirl32
06-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Wow thanks for the heads-up- how far in advance can you order it?

CaptainSad
06-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Of course they did.. How else are they going to milk us out of more money. I take my own. Costs less and I get what I want. Honestly, I take better pictures...

Dsnygirl
06-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Just got off the phone w/ Disney and was told that the pre-order price will not be increasing, though... still $99. Guess that's what everyone's going to have to do now!!

(You can order it as far in advance as you'd like, and have read on a few other sites about people "preordering" it after they've gotten home!)

Also - there is a special out there right now from Disney Visa for 15% off the pre-order price... can't post the link here, but if you google it, you'll find the link on a few other sites.

Just pre-ordered it for my October trip for $84.99!! :woohoo:

Stu29573
06-09-2009, 10:17 AM
We're going to be trying out Photopass for the first time next week (I pre-ordered a while back). It seems like a cool thing, especially since we're going for our honeymoon so "us together" pics will be all the more important!

TheRustyScupper
06-09-2009, 10:18 AM
On June 16th, the price of the Photopass CD is increasing to $149.00...

PT Barnun is alive and well, and living at WDW.

Ian
06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
PT Barnun is alive and well, and living at WDW.Yeah, I mean ... I'm all for capitalism and everything and fully support a company's right to charge whatever the market will bear ...

But I have to wonder who, in their right mind, would pay $149 for a photo CD??? :confused:

GrumpyFan
06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I mean ... I'm all for capitalism and everything and fully support a company's right to charge whatever the market will bear ...

But I have to wonder who, in their right mind, would pay $149 for a photo CD??? :confused:

Probably the same ones who would pay $129! Sorry, call me a cheapskate, but I don't see how it's really worth THAT much! I mean, at that price, you can buy a really decent digital camera and a 4gb memory card and take your own pictures.

Ian
06-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Probably the same ones who would pay $129! Sorry, call me a cheapskate, but I don't see how it's really worth THAT much! I mean, at that price, you can buy a really decent digital camera and a 4gb memory card and take your own pictures.I know, right??

And really ... how many Photo Pass pictures are you going to get in one trip that are actually worth having? 20? 30? Even if you say 40 pictures, at that price it comes out to like $4 per picture ...

I can get a whole suite of professional photos taken of my kids at a real, honest-to-goodness picture studio for like $100!

Dsnygirl
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
:) Okay, so I tried really hard to not post on this thread again... but I just can't help myself.

I totally agree with the fact that $129, and even $149, for a Photopass CD is ridiculous. It's highway robbery, Disney-style.

But, I also confess to having bought one. :blush: My primary reason? We were at Disney for Christmas, and we probably never will be again, and there was no way I was going to ask complete strangers to keep taking our picture (so we could have all 4 of us in the picture, not just the kids, or the kids w/ one of us...) over & over again, esp. after I saw how the first few came out. No one does your camera as good as you do, unless they have the same exact one.

So, I think we came home with about 55 pictures on the CD... and I put borders on about 15, so we ended up with 70. (I know, who really pays for borders... well, I guess I do, they were unique for us, as I don't usually photoshop my pictures that way.)

Then my DH and I sat down and really, I mean REALLY, looked at the photos... and decided that we really liked about 25 of them. And they weren't just ones of the 4 of us -- some of them were ones we weren't aware the photographer was taking, like my DD7's reaction to seeing Donald Duck up close for the first time -- the wonderment on her face was priceless. Could I have gotten that shot?? Probably... but I was too busy watching the exchange b/w her and her sister and the characters... and honestly, I was thankful to not be behind the lens for that moment.

So -- it came down to not getting all the pictures printed that we loved -- that would have been about the price of the CD -- and spending around $80 for the ones we could "settle on" -- or just biting the bullet and getting the CD (and cursing ourselves for not knowing before we left that we could have pre-ordered it for less).

I have since used the CD to print over 75 pictures... many for our scrapbook, many more for frames in our house, some for our girls to have in their rooms and/or take to school for projects, some as gifts for relatives who liked a particular shot.

So.... is it really worth the $129, or even $149? No, probably not, on the face of it. But the memories caught that we didn't capture ourselves and the Christmas pictures we'll never have again -- I guess for us, that made it priceless.

Oh, and I do agree that pictures in a studio are usually far better, and less expensive... but for us, there is something about the carefree nature of the Disney shots... everyone's hair is messed up and they're grinning from ear to ear... loved the ones of my girls holding Simba... (yes, they suckered me in with those... I realize completely it was a bait & switch... :blush:)

So, call me sappy -- and a spendthrift, maybe -- but I'm still glad I got it... and I'm even happier I pre-bought one for our next trip!! ;)

wdwnomad
06-09-2009, 10:46 PM
If you are going on a trip with other members of your family or friends, you can all spilt the cost of the CD. Makes it much more affortable that way.

Ian
06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
If you are going on a trip with other members of your family or friends, you can all spilt the cost of the CD. Makes it much more affortable that way.Good point ... our next trip we're going to have a party of 17 so that would definitely make it more cost effective.

BelleCiavo
06-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I totally agree with the fact that $129, and even $149, for a Photopass CD is ridiculous. It's highway robbery, Disney-style.
But, I also confess to having bought one.

-- but I'm still glad I got it... and I'm even happier I pre-bought one for our next trip!! ;)

I agree. It's expensive, but I'm glad I got it. Especially because ds6 was chosen for Jedi Training and we got 19 pictures from that alone (ante-borders.) I also really like the water park shots. Sometimes when the photographers aren't busy they will spend a lot of time with you and add special touches.

momofaprincess
06-11-2009, 11:27 AM
We just got back from a trip to WDW and purchased the CD. We were told that the price would be increasing soon. We always purchase the CD but utilize the service to our advantage. This year we had 384 pics on our cards resulting in having to burn two CDs (still same price). In 2007 we had 500+pics. This year we had family pics in all the parks, pics with characters (esp Star Wars Weekends), and in the water parks. The pics are great and it's nice to know you have them if something happens to your own camera. I would suggest preordeing the CD and then having your photopass card handy to get the most out of your money. There were only 4 of us so larger families could have even more pics.

tinksmom02
06-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Just pre-ordered and used the code. $85 is a heck of a lot better than $149! We'll be a party of 9 this year, so I think we'll get our money's worth. I always upload my pics to winkflash, they often run a 6 cent per print special.

Disney Doll
06-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah, with the $85 offer I went ahead and ordered. We're a party of 8 this time with extended family along and it will be nice to have the pictures. We did the CD one other time when we took DS for his 1st trip on his 1st birthday. We knew we wanted to take a ton of pictures and it even got us a discount on the private photo sessions at the resorts. Yeah, I could have taken my own pictures, but instead DH and I got to experience every character interaction with our son and nobody had to be stuck behind the lens. I certainly don't shell out the money for CD on every trip, but for special occasions I do feel it's worth it. This time we have more than one family so I'm sure we'll more than get our money's worth.

We LOVE Disney
06-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Hi

While I am not new to going to Disney, I am TOTALLY new to the photopass CD so I apologize in advance for all of the questions :blush:.

Is it sort of like when we are in the parks and a CM takes our picture (posed) and hands us a card? Will we instead hand the CM something stating we have a CD?

How do they get the candid shots? I'm sure this isn't how it's done but do we seek someone out and tell them to follow us around to take candid shots?

We will be doing a family shoot at the Polynesian this year so do those go on the CD?

We will be traveling with my brother in law and his family so could we share the CD even if we aren't together 24/7 during the trip?

Thanks for your help. I'm certain I'll come up with more question but this will help me start learning!

Tracy

wdwnomad
06-13-2009, 10:43 PM
I will answer your questions under each one:

Hi

While I am not new to going to Disney, I am TOTALLY new to the photopass CD so I apologize in advance for all of the questions :blush:.

Is it sort of like when we are in the parks and a CM takes our picture (posed) and hands us a card? Will we instead hand the CM something stating we have a CD?

When you see a PhotoPass photographer for the first time just tell them you need a card. After taking your picture they will scan a card then give it to you. Next time you get your picure taken just give the photographer your card and after taking the pic they will scan it and give it back to you.

How do they get the candid shots? I'm sure this isn't how it's done but do we seek someone out and tell them to follow us around to take candid shots?

PhotoPass photographers are stationed at pretty much all of the landmark sites in the parks (all along Main Street, in front of Spaceship Earth, etc). Just get in line for the picture you want and they will take it. Photographers are also with a lot of the characters. You will also find them in some random places taking pictures. They won't follow you around but there are alot of them around. Some ask you to pose like in front of the Tower of Terror the photographer might take a standard shot then ask you to look frightened. The only ride where you can add your picture to the Photopass card is Test Track.

We will be doing a family shoot at the Polynesian this year so do those go on the CD?

I am pretty sure they will go on the CD. Just let them know when you are checking in.

We will be traveling with my brother in law and his family so could we share the CD even if we aren't together 24/7 during the trip?

Sure you can. When you brother in law's family goes off on their own they can get their own card. You can use multiple cards for one CD. In fact, I always end up with more than one card during a trip. Sometimes I forget to give the guy the card and before I know it he hands me a new one. Not a big deal. Just remember when returning home to add his card to your account since you would have purchased the CD. Although you can have multiple cards per CD you can't have cards tied to multiple accounts.

Thanks for your help. I'm certain I'll come up with more question but this will help me start learning!

Tracy

It is a really good system they have. A couple of other tips I have found are first and foremost either write down your Photopass card #'s or better yet take a picture of the card. If you lose the card you will still have the numbers which you will need to retrive your photos. If you forget to do this don't worry go to one of the Photopass booths and ask to see if they can find your pictures. They will ask you where you were, what time of day, etc. If you can answer those questions there is a really good chance they can find the pictures. They did it for once for me. When they do that they will find the card number and transfer them to a new card for you. Another tip, is ask if they do any magic shots. Some photographers can take a picture of you and have your hands open. When you see your pictures Tinkerbell will be in your open hands. There are a bunch of other ones like holding balloons, cradling Simba, sword fighting with Captain Hook.

chefmickey3
06-14-2009, 02:19 PM
We used it for the first time last summer. I loved the shots! We also put our Chef Mickey and CRT pictures on the disk. My husband was picked for HDD and that picture was on there too! I print through Kodak Gallery - I printed many more pictures than I would have bought and have great memories to look at in our scrapbook. We are definitely pre-ordering for this year!

mikelynn91
06-25-2009, 08:53 AM
It's also a good value if you can get other family or friends to go in with you. Everyone gets their own photopass card and snaps away. When you get home upload all the serial numbers to one designated account. There are no limits on number of pics and with the username and password everyone can go in and edit their pics before the final order is placed. CDs are made for the participants upon delivery and wah - lah you've got some beautiful pics to mix in with the snaps you take on your own. Cool and economical! lb:thumbsup:

momofdisneyprincess
06-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Do you think it's too early to order this for my May 2010 trip?

Fryguy
07-06-2009, 04:06 PM
We did the pre-order last year and loved it! Everywhere we went we had pictures taken of us. Even the character meals that we purchased we where able to get on the CD.

Another nice thing about the CD is that you can edit the pictures online - add signatures, borders, crop, rotate, etc. We turned our small amount of pictures from Family photos to couple photos by cropping the pics.

I think by the time I was done editing the pics on-line we had about 200+ pictures. Then once I got the CD, I was able to send the pics to a local photo shop and get them printed for pennies.

All in all, much cheaper then buying a few photos while you are in the park.

jjramsey
07-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Too bad they don't do as much specialty graphics on the disks now. Several years ago, we had over a hundred photos taken, plus they had about 70 more with specialized graphics and frames. I believe it was around $100 then....

It was definitely cheaper than buying a few photos in the park. We could print all we wanted. Just be sure you have a copy of the release, as several photo printing places refused to do them until they saw the releases. It was funny watching them pick their teeth up off the floor. They couldn't believe we had rights to print!

Fryguy
07-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Too bad they don't do as much specialty graphics on the disks now. Several years ago, we had over a hundred photos taken, plus they had about 70 more with specialized graphics and frames. I believe it was around $100 then....

We where just down there in October 08 and I was able to crop, add pics, frames, signatures etc.

Did this change recently?

NJGIRL
07-09-2009, 10:12 AM
IMO wasn't worth the $100 I paid in Oct let alone the increase. I can take better pictures than they can. In their deffense these people are not professional photographers so I should have known better.

lockedoutlogic
07-09-2009, 10:19 AM
IMO wasn't worth the $100 I paid in Oct let alone the increase. I can take better pictures than they can. In their deffense these people are not professional photographers so I should have known better.

Good point

The photographers are not...in fact....photographers

or should i say - they don't have to be.

some of course are, retired, second job, etc...but many if not most are the same rank and file cattle that funnels through casting.

So you may get decent pictures...or they could be horrendous

Even the photographers from special services that do wedding pictures aren't necessarily qualified (personal experience on that one....$1000 worth)

NJGIRL
07-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Good point

The photographers are not...in fact....photographers

or should i say - they don't have to be.

some of course are, retired, second job, etc...but many if not most are the same rank and file cattle that funnels through casting.

So you may get decent pictures...or they could be horrendous

Even the photographers from special services that do wedding pictures aren't necessarily qualified (personal experience on that one....$1000 worth)

I think I got caught up in seeing them with those big cameras thinking "they must be good at taking pictures with those expensive cameras, they must be pros " I was wrong. Some of the pictures were fine but when you only have two people in the picture and one is not in focus or looking in the wrong direction you know they don't know or care (maybe) what they are doing.

Also all of the hours I spent adding borders and cropping (disney is making you work for their money) when I printed out the pictures (reg size) alot of the borders were partially cut off:thedolls: What a waste of time and money.