PDA

View Full Version : Make A Wish

Stitchahula
06-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I was just wondering about how to go about contacting them? Do any of you remember how long it was from when you first contacted them to when you got your wish? My DS is eligible for a wish and he really wants to go back to disney so we had thought about using his wish for this. I'm just not sure if we should wait a while or let him use it now. If we do I'd like to be able to make use of the free DDP I know it is probably to late to do it this year but maybe next year. Any input you could give me would be a huge help. thanks

merlinmagic4
06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Can one of his doctors get the ball rolling for you? Our son's nephrologist got it going for him. He contacted them and then they contacted us. It was a pretty quick process and they can put it together pretty quickly. I would not say this year is out. I think we met with them in June (???) and we delayed our trip until November. We could have gone earlier.

Keep us updated on the process and especially the trip!!

TinkiTime1989
06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
If you go to the Make-a-Wish website there is a Refer A Child section where you can use their online inquiry form or find out how to contact your local chapter. Have a great time!

Hayden's Dad
06-09-2009, 11:32 AM
You can recommend your child, I recommened Hayden. I submitted it in July when he turned 2 1/2 and we were there by October. They could have gotten us there sooner given his circumstances, but it would have been to hot for him. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Have fun. Enjoy having your son take you to Disney for a change. Just keep in mind you will only have a three day park hopper to Disney, then one day for Universal, and one for SeaWorld (Sea World was awesome!) There are other activities you can do, but I wouldn't recommed them definately don't go to the petting farm it is a waste of time. Sorry went off on a tangent. It is a magical experience. Depending on when you go you might be able to get tickets for either MNSSHP or MVMCP. :mickey:

Stitchahula
06-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I keep debating on whether to call or wait until next year. I guess i could call and see what they have to say. I've looked on their website and it doesn't really say alot about the trip themselves. Thanks again for the advice.

Toodle
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Check about where you stay with Make a Wish. One of my relatives had a wish granted through Make a Wish and she chose Disney - she did not stay on Disney property but somewhere near by that was set up to take care of kids who were critically ill.

merlinmagic4
06-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Check about where you stay with Make a Wish. One of my relatives had a wish granted through Make a Wish and she chose Disney - she did not stay on Disney property but somewhere near by that was set up to take care of kids who were critically ill.

Most Make A Wish families do stay at Give Kids the World. It was a great place to stay with lots and lots of activities! We had a two bedroom condo with full kitchen, two baths. It has a restaurant, a sandwich/ice cream shop, an arcade, a movie theatre, a castle, and more. Best thing is all of it was FREE for the families. My kids loved the ice cream three times a day :)

Oh, and it's all run by VOLUNTEERS, who were amazing!

Stitchahula
06-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Give kids the world sounds a lot like camp sunshine. There it's almost all volunteers too, that some have become like family to us.

merlinmagic4
06-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Give kids the world sounds a lot like camp sunshine. There it's almost all volunteers too, that some have become like family to us.

We went to Camp Sunshine in 2001. My son had such a hard time separating from us that we didn't fully enjoy the trip. I keep thinking we'll get back someday! I hope so!

Stitchahula
06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Kelly if you don't mind me asking what week did you go for? Did your son have a 1 on 1? It's when a volunteer is paired up with him. They usually do this for special circumstances. My son is speech delayed so we've had a volunteer paired with him both times we've gone. We are close with other volunteers too and see some of them in between camp or keep in touch by phone and computer. You really should try going again it is a wonderful place with incredible people. We go again in 13 days and I think I'm as excited as my son is. It's nice to be able to go and not be the family with the "sick" kid.

merlinmagic4
06-16-2009, 07:53 PM
We went for a renal week in 2001- it was well before his kidney transplant. There was one volunteer who seemed to be with him most of the time but I don't know how "official" it was. It was a really hard week with him and we didn't enjoy it at all with him being so miserable. I want to go back but the renal week is now in early June and he can't miss school. I book our camping trips 6 months out and they keep conflicting with the transplant week (by the time I look at the schedule).

He ended up getting sick with a fever and we left a bit early. Some day we'll get back :thumbsup:

jimsgal05
07-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Hello I work for DREAM FACTORY we grant dreams to croniclly ill children and critically ill chrildren we might be able to help... we send kids all the time to Disney they stay at GIVE KIDS THE WORLD you thought staying on site was cool...that is nothing to this place...they are truley amazing...an right near Disney DIsney "vists" them...and there are dcotors on staff 24/7.

please replay if you want...we are a national org.

www.dreamfactoryinc.org

best wishes.....Lori:mickey:

Stitchahula
07-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Lori, thank you so much for the info. I had never heard of you organization before. What we really like about Disney is the convince of being able to use the buses, boats, ect... for transportation while there. We also usually go with other family members that's why we had asked if they let you stay on site or not. I have heard great things about give kids the world though. I am always amazed at people, the ones like the volunteers they always give you faith in the human race. I know it touches my heart when at camp and I meet some of the volunteers,and they take my family into their hearts knowing that we aren't on an easy road. I

jimsgal05
07-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi ,,just keep us posted on how things turn out for your child... will love to hear the story..
also just to let you now there is a free family camp here in Maine...CAMP Sunshine it is for families with children that have alkinds of medical issues/ each week is for a different medical problems..ie cancer, kidney, transplant,...

it is the only camp in the USA that is free and for the WHOLE family they also will help with travel plans...

here is the web site..campsunshine.org :)

Take care...best wishes to your whole family:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi ,,just keep us posted on how things turn out for your child... will love to hear the story..
also just to let you now there is a free family camp here in Maine...CAMP Sunshine it is for families with children that have alkinds of medical issues/ each week is for a different medical problems..ie cancer, kidney, transplant,...

it is the only camp in the USA that is free and for the WHOLE family they also will help with travel plans...

here is the web site..campsunshine.org :)

Take care...best wishes to your whole family:mickey:

Thanks for the info. William has actually been there 3 times now. He went last month/beginning of this month and had a ball. His little brother also had a lot of fun.They especially like the indoor heated pool. It pretty much rained the whole time they were there but that didn't stop them from enjoying themselves. I'm sure this info about Camp Sunshine will come in handy for others as well.

Stitchahula
07-19-2009, 07:43 AM
We love Camp Sunshine, with William's diagnosis that is the only place we ever get to meet other families with Diamond Blackfan Anemia. Yes it did rain the whole week we were there but it was fine there was still enough for everyone to do. William usually hates leaving there and always asks if we can stay. That is the camp that I was talking about in my other posts. Going to Camp is like getting out batteries charged, the place is just good for the soul.

jimsgal05
07-30-2009, 03:31 PM
That is so awesome to here that you guys have been to Camp Sunshine... yes batteries recharged I know what ya mean...have a child with a rear Kidney dis..so yes!!! it has rained so much In Maine..I feel like a Duck...:donald:

But I am glad you still had a great time ...It is amazing place...well if ya ever know of any child needing a dream...just find me here or Dream factory directly!!!:blush:

Enjoy the summer!!! Lori