PDA

View Full Version : Dilema on accomodations

aurora, ariel, and bell
06-08-2009, 11:29 AM
We are staying two weeks at POP. We have our two granddaughters 4 and 5 with us. Our friends are coming for the second week we are there. They stayed at POP once, (we have never stayed here only at POR) and weren't too keen, they say it is very busy, the buses are always crowded, and the pools are crowded as well.

The dilema is should they stay with us at POP (easier to get together) or should they stay at POR. It will cost them $300 more at POR and then we would have to meet at the parks which may be inconvenient trying to get together.

We can't use our cell phones to communicate because we are from Canada and it would be long distance and roaming all the time.

We would like to be together and are so confused as to what to do. We are going in September with the free dining and it is saving us about $800 to stay at POP so we can't move to POR. We could visit them at their resort, but that means so much more traveling with little ones.

Any advise would be appreciated:mickey:

offwego
06-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Well the hotel problem seems fairly difficult (after all you want to save your money understandable, and they don't wish it sounds like to spend their where they don't feel they will enjoy themselves)

One thing on the communication side if you call your cell provider you can normally add a feature to it (such as US texting or roaming minutes) call the billing cycle before you need it and then cancel it on your return. I do this all the time and it works like a charm and is very inexpensive vs using the minutes without prearrangment.

This will be our first trip meeting up with folks without staying at the same resort but I'm confident it will go well. (and as luck would have it we are staying at Pop as well, we really enjoyed it last december.)

yjgirl32
06-08-2009, 11:46 AM
You could also try getting a prepaid cell phone which are pretty cheap. I wouldn't let it upset me too much. You will still be able to find each other- we did on our last trip.

KAT1811
06-08-2009, 11:58 AM
You could also try getting a prepaid cell phone which are pretty cheap. I wouldn't let it upset me too much. You will still be able to find each other- we did on our last trip.

This is exactly what I was thinking! That way you are only a phone call away and you didn't have to spend a ton of $$$ on roaming. Or go through the trouble of changing your plan only to change it back upon your return. Good luck!

offwego
06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
The only hiccup I can see to prepaid is if the OP is flying in, as a Canadian Pre-Paid is still going to have all the roaming issues and will zoom through the $ in moments flat.

Each time I do the change over it takes me about 5 minutes or so on the phone no paperwork etc. It's a problem I was grateful to another intercoter's suggestion of altering the plan as I'd previously been unable to come up with something.

KAT1811
06-08-2009, 01:29 PM
The only hiccup I can see to prepaid is if the OP is flying in, as a Canadian Pre-Paid is still going to have all the roaming issues and will zoom through the $ in moments flat.

I wouldn't suggest buying a canadian phone but a US phone. Even if you had to have it delivered to the resort the front desk would have it waiting for you prior to arrival.

The change of plans may be an easier route. I know myself and I guarantee you I would forget to change my plan back! :blush:

dnickels
06-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Can't you just call between rooms or leave messages for the room? It seems like it'd be a lot simpler to just call POR and ask for Mr. and Mrs. X's room than it would to buy a prepaid phone or have it delivered to the resort.

After all, how many times a day would you really need to get in touch with them? Once to say "let's meet at the entrance to attraction A at 10 AM" and then from there you can either spend the rest of the day together or make plans to get together again somewhere else at another appointed time. Even after that you can make your plans for the next morning before parting.

PETE FROM NYC
06-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I am on VERIZON using their friends and family plan. No charge for calling any 10 phone numbers that I add or delete from the plan.All it takes to change is a few minutes on the computer.
OR.....if everyone in your party is already a verizon customer,mobile to mobile is free.

pixiesmimi
06-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Try using walkie talkies in the parks. We do this sometimes instead of using our cell phones. You can get on a channel with not a lot of traffic to keep from picking up everyone else with one but you might still get one or two. They have a good range. We used ours the first trip to keep up with our party when we split up or when some went on a ride without others and they let us know when they were coming off the ride.

KAT1811
06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I am on VERIZON using their friends and family plan. No charge for calling any 10 phone numbers that I add or delete from the plan.All it takes to change is a few minutes on the computer.
OR.....if everyone in your party is already a verizon customer,mobile to mobile is free.

The OP said that they would have problems doing this because they are out of the country while in WDW. The OP is Canadian and would have serious roaming charges if they used their phone in the US.

aurora, ariel, and bell
06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
I like the idea of getting pre paid phones, as we live about 1/2 hour from Buffalo so we could go there and get them.
Where do you get them? Walmart? and How much do you think they will be?

KAT1811
06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Where do you get them? Walmart? and How much do you think they will be?

I just checked the Walmart site and it looks like they are about $30 for the phone itself and about $30 for 1,000 minutes. I'm not sure if they have any smaller cards as I am not familiar with how they actually work but I'm sure someone there will know all the answers. Good luck!

pixiesmimi
06-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Adding international coverage to your existing phones for that time might be cheaper. DD did this when they went to Italy and it was only about $50. I was going to suggest getting a prepaid card for minutes from up there but didn't know if it would help on roaming or a phone from Wal-Mart. The only thing if you get the International thing, be sure it works or has been turned on. DSIL got out on their cruise and discovered his didn't work because they hadn't turned it on or something so had to get his money back when he got home and DD had to use hers with roaming on the trip.

offwego
06-09-2009, 12:37 PM
OP I would call and check to see the cost of your plan (adding texting was 10 bucks and did everything I needed to get in touch with all the folks I was meeting up with and DH etc for that price I got 150 texts..I would have to get seriously lost to burn through that many)

i didn't ask about minutes as texting was going to be easier for me..(we did use walkie talkies one trip with my mom and step dad but they were very spotty, and we didn't find they worked for us as the traffic and trying to readjust only works if you can tell the person what your adjusting too. but it wouldn't work for the "I'm still waiting on a bus sorry we won't be there at 10 probably closer to 10:30 unless one shows up right now" issues as the range won't be sufficent for anything but a really really expensive set)