PDA

View Full Version : over the top

oldkeywest91
06-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Read in the Sentinel yesterday that Disney is going to charge$250.00 to use/rent the covered huts that have been FREE since Typhoon Lagoon opened.Having used these huts for Family events for many years ,I think this is the straw that broke the camels back.I hope Disney has other ways to make money because they just lost 10 PPH.First they take away P.I. and now they want to charge extra to use TL,We will just save the money and pool .

Jeri
06-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I thought I read some where that for that price you get an attendant, towels, water, and other beverages. I thought there was more but I can't remember right now.

I don't think it is that big of a deal because it seems like a good deal for what you get. I figure if you don't want to pay the price then don't, but I don't think I would stop going to Disney over it.

oldkeywest91
06-06-2009, 09:34 PM
The problem is not what you get.You still have to pay the admission price to get in.This we did with the session pass,on top of that Disney now wants to charge 250.00 for the use of the hut that was free .since when does 6 people drink that much soda.The cost of a locker for 6 people is not worth 250.00.And what is a private attendent going to do for you at a water park,dry your back? This is just upper manegment making the wrong choice at the wrong time with money as tight as it is.And I did not say I was going to stop going to WDW,I said I and my family would not renew our over priced premium passes,and just pool hop thru the vacation clubs.

Spectro is #1
06-06-2009, 10:08 PM
It appears to me after reading the story posted on the OS and then going to the source of the story WDWmagic. The $250 Shacks were recently built and include fancy padded lounge chairs. They are also available at Blizzard Beach. It looks as if these new shacks are the ones for rent and are in there own area. I wouldn't worry about it it looks like the old mini pavilions will still be around for those who get there early enough to snag one.

Boost
06-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Horrible idea...

garthbarth1
06-07-2009, 01:50 PM
sounds like renting a cabanna in Vegas...weekday price anyway....hopefully they will keep some of the free ones they always had...

Wishing Star
06-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I've seen those cabanas at other hotels and they just don't seem worth it. The cabanas at the Nick Hotel have video games and t.v. and I never saw anyone use them on our last visit.

I think the price is much too high for most people to add on top of admission.

Kenny1113
06-08-2009, 09:10 AM
I think I read somewhere that SeaWorld's Aquatica does this as well, may have been the inspiration.

Ian
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
They have these all over, especially at the Deluxe resorts. I know the Grand Flo has them and I think they're the same price.

I'm pretty sure this is something new at TL and not replacing the old free ones.

BrerGnat
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
We have a local waterpark here that has something similar.

BUT, they only charge $80 per day...which I think is totally reasonable. And, their cabana is a real cabana, with tent flaps that you can close for privacy so you can CHANGE in there. You get waiter service and you can eat in there (there are tables/chairs) too. I would pay $80/day for this priviledge.

I would LAUGH at paying $250 for this...

I think they should charge somewhere around $80-100 for this type of thing at the Disney water parks, and make them first come, first served (no advanced reservations). They would get MUCH more business. When you consider that a locker rental costs anywhere from $10-12, per, plus the availability of a GUARANTEED seating area in the shade ALL DAY...well, a LOT of people would be willing to shell out some extra bucks for this. But NOT $250...

ThanxForNoticin
06-08-2009, 12:38 PM
sounds like renting a cabanna in Vegas...weekday price anyway....hopefully they will keep some of the free ones they always had...

I agree. This is exactly what it sounds like.

I guess some folks feel it's worth the extra money for privacy and some additional perks. Some don't. If it's not taking away any of the regular amentities (like the free huts for families), I'm not sure I see it as a problem.

GrumpyFan
06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Admittedly, the price seems really high. But, maybe there's people who will pay it. Time will tell if they turn a profit.

I was at our local water park yesterday, and noticed they have several cabanas alongside the wave pool. I think they were priced around $125, but none of them were occupied. I'm guessing Disney might get a few people that can and will fork out this kind of money for the experience, and amenities, but probably not very many.

Seasonscraps
06-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I love the idea of renting a cabana and would love to indulge if I were planning to spend a relaxing day by the pool. A quiet day by the pool is not what I am looking for at a water park so I would take a pass there.

Ian
06-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I think people might underestimate the audience for one of these at the $250 rate ... every time I've stayed at the GF the ones by the pool have all been taken up.

And that's at a hotel pool. I'm quite certain that a lot of people who visit WDW wouldn't have any issue shelling out $250 for a day's worth of privacy, drinks, and an attendant's service.

Me? Nah ... but I bet these things are booked up near 100% most of the time.

SBETigg
06-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I would be interested, but $250 is a little steep. The GF ones go for $110 a day or $60 for half day. They include a phone and TV along with padded chairs and other perks (stocked fridge, etc).

See this thread http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=133071&highlight=cabana+rental (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=133071&highlight=cabana+rental).

I don't know why the water park cabanas would be so much more, unless they include meals or some other extras, or WDW anticipates that high a demand for the service.

BrerGnat
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I would be interested, but $250 is a little steep. The GF ones go for $110 a day or $60 for half day. They include a phone and TV along with padded chairs and other perks (stocked fridge, etc).

See this thread http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=133071&highlight=cabana+rental (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=133071&highlight=cabana+rental).

I don't know why the water park cabanas would be so much more, unless they include meals or some other extras, or WDW anticipates that high a demand for the service.

I was just going to post this! There is a HUGE discrepancy between the cost of the hotel pool cabanas and these ones. Unless these include MEALS in addition to the waiter service or something else, it seems WAY high. I mean, if I was planning a FULL DAY by the GF or Contemporary pool, or even a half day, that $60 or $110 might be worth it.

But $250??? Seriously???

Ian
06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Huh ... I could have sworn I saw the GF ones were $250 a day.

Is it possible they have some kind of tiered pricing for them? I distinctly remember thinking to myself when I looked into them, "Who the heck would spend $250 for one of those???"

Had it been $110 I might have at least considered it.

Imagineer1981
06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Ya, but if you split the cost of 250 among a group, which is probably who would rent one, then its not bad. If you have 10 people, its only 25 bucks extra a person for the cabana and you guarenteed to have your stuff not stolen, plenty of food and drinks and an attendant to get you what you want. Actually seems like a good deal, especially when you sometimes have to fight for a shady beach chair or a few together if you get there late.

oldkeywest91
06-09-2009, 06:37 PM
You did not read the fine print.Only 6 people to a cabana.That includes kids,which make it $41.oo and change plus it looks like you still have to pay to get in.Add that in and its OVER THE TOP

ThanxForNoticin
06-12-2009, 02:10 PM
You did not read the fine print.Only 6 people to a cabana.That includes kids,which make it $41.oo and change plus it looks like you still have to pay to get in.Add that in and its OVER THE TOP

For some people it will be too steep and they won't bother. For others, it'll be extra money they are willing to spend.

Just like anything else, vacations are about paying for what you enjoy. Some folks think $400+ per night at GF is 'over the top', but yet GF maintains a pretty high occupancy rate because others think it's worth it. Some folks think Victoria and Alberts is 'over the top', but they still do fine every night there. Along those lines, some folks will pay for these cabanas because they enjoy the pampering and privacy. I'll bet some days they have empty cabanas and some days they'll have people turned away. But since these cabanas appear to be an extra, and don't take away from anything already there, I don't think there is any problem with Disney offering the service.

oldkeywest91
06-15-2009, 06:55 AM
The piture that was used by Disney to show off the cabanas was llocated on the right side of the pool just before the lifeguard stand.It has been there since the waterpark opened.It is not new, just extras added.Are there new cabanas being addded?,from what is being reported they are just refurbishing the old and now chargeing for what was free.

Live4WDW
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
:mickey: Hey all. If one wants to spend the money to rent this extra during a vacation then they will do it. There will always be someone that will rent and pay money for items that other people will not. I think the idea is good, for those that will, and want to then it is good that it is now available to them. Hopefully there will be a few that are still free, just without the extras. :mickey: