PDA

View Full Version : child flying solo

gerald72
06-06-2009, 07:16 AM
A friend's 17 year old daughter is flying solo from Newark, New Jersey to Los Angeles, CA, and then returning two weeks later.
Neither of them have flown before and are nervous about this trip.

What do they need to bring to the airport for the trip? Anything beside Identification and the trip itinerary print-out?
And what about the return flight? It is with another airline. The trip was paid for by the mother, but she won't be there in CA. Will the daughter only need to show ID to get the tickets?

Any tips from flying veterans would be appreciated. It's a 6 hour flight, what do you recommend she bring to occupy herself?

princessesmom
06-06-2009, 02:36 PM
A gov't issued photo id and a printed copy of her e-ticket is what she will need to check in and get on her flight. Most flights now let you check in 24 hours before the flight from a computer. I recommend doing that, just make sure she prints her boarding pass and brings it with her. Make sure she is up-to-date on what is allowed in carry-on luggage (nothing bigger than 3oz and it must all fit in a quart zip log bag, that is the latest from my last flight).

Personally I like to read on a plane. Other options are an iPod for music and or movies. Depending on her carrier, some offer movies on the flight. I like to have some water to take on board, which you have to buy after you get through security. I always bring some food along, just in case. We bring bagels, because everyone in our family likes them and they hold up well in a backpack for a few hours. I also bring a change of underwear and a fresh shirt. Our luggage has gone missing a couple of times and this has saved us (it always turned up).

She will be fine, 17 is plenty old enough to handle a direct flight. Just make sure she has contact information for whoever is picking her up on both ends. And make sure she has some money or a debit/credit card just in case of an emergency.

VWL Mom
06-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Depending on the airline, your friend may be able to get a pick up pass since 17 is still a minor. This would allow the adult to walk her to the gate and the adult on the other end to pick her up at the gate. She should call and check if interested.

gerald72
06-07-2009, 07:58 AM
thanks for your help

disneyfamily05
06-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I agree with the above poster about the Ipod, bringing some snacks (no liquid - as I still don't think they let you bring drinks through the x-ray machines, but someone else should know better than me about that) and reading material.

I used to fly solo at the age of 14 quite frequently (to visit between my divorced parents - I'm 31 now) - although a much shorter flight. And honestly the most confusing part was always trying to figure out where to go AFTER i got my luggage. So make sure she knows who is picking her up, where they will be EXACTLY, and a number in case she can't find them.

Till this day when I am picking up someone from an airport i give them such exact directions to where I will be-- i get teased (I'll be by the last row of tables next to Au Bon Pain in a bright blue shirt!)- and i really think its from my experiences of trying to figure out where my ride was in the hoard of people at baggage claim.

Also, if she lets a flight attendent know this is her first time flying, she is a little nervous and she is alone they will keep an eye on her no matter how old she is (at least that is what i've experienced).