PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Addtional Points

DestinationWDW
06-05-2009, 05:41 PM
I have been receiving a lot of email with perks about purchasing additional points. Can someone explain how this process works? If I purchase 50 or 100 additional points at Bay Lake Towers does that give me an additional home resort?

Thanks for any help you can provide

DVC Mike
06-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Yes, you would have a second home resort. However, you could only use the points you own at a particular resort to make a reservation within the home resort priority period (11 months - 7 months).

DizneyRox
06-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Yes, you would have two home resorts. BLT you would have 50 or 100 points you can use at 11 months out. Your original contract would only be good at BLT at 7 months out. And, your original contract would be usable at your existing home resort at 11 month out, and the BLT points wouldn't be good until 7 months out there.

Points go with each home resort you buy at.

DestinationWDW
06-05-2009, 07:08 PM
If I understand this correctly than I could book 11 months at BLT I could than add additional days at 7 months out with my points from AK. Which would probably be near impossible to do?

I would imagine then the process for purchasing the additional points would be identical to purchasing the original purchase.

Thanks for all the info it actually is making me rethink if i should add on to my original home resort.

DizneyRox
06-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Yes, you understand me correctly. It would give you a couple days maybe at BLT and the rest at AKL. And you could attempt to waitlist, but that's not going too well these days for many.

I would either buy a ton at BLT and sell your AKL, or add-on to AKL. It's nice not having to juggle too much around. If you don't mind a split stay whenever you go though, owning at two resorts it not a bad thing.

Again, this is all worst case. You could end up finding that you get whatever you want at the 7 month mark all the time.

DVC Mike
06-05-2009, 10:09 PM
It's nice not having to juggle too much around. If you don't mind a split stay whenever you go though, owning at two resorts it not a bad thing.

Rather than booking a split stay, you can use banking and borrowing.

If you own 100 points at AKV and 100 points at BLT, you could take a 200 point trip at AKV one year, followed by a 200 point trip at BLT the next.

Or 100 points at BLT could give you a 300 point vacation there every 3 years.

I have 6 home resorts but typically take just 4 trips. I bank points for 2 of the resorts each year, on a rolling basis.

DizneyRox
06-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes, but that's still a bit of juggling IMHO. And then you have the possibility of losing points if the year you are supposed to use them, something comes up.

I went through this whole thing myself, we wanted to add-on, but even though we carefully calculated the number of points we needed, it was so much easier to own in one place. So we sold and bought a new contract.

DestinationWDW
06-06-2009, 10:56 AM
We have a family of 5 so the reason we bought at AK was because of the additional wash room for the kids. We haven't even stayed there yet. We have stayed at a few other locations. I don't think I will sell my AK but either may be just add on for the same location or purchase at BLT and kept those points for the wife and I for nice quick get always without the Kids. I see both sides and actually agree with both of you, there are a lot of choices.

Thanks again

Mushu11756
06-06-2009, 10:27 PM
We thought about adding on points through Disney but have decided against because of the above mentioned reasons.

We own a SSR and would like to add on there.Not have to have a whole separate contract at a new home resort with a different use year. To me thats not adding on points to and existing contract or home resort. That sounds like buying a whole separate contract.:secret:

Anyway why bother adding on through DVC when you can get the same thing a whole lot cheaper.:thumbsup:

If I new then what I no now I would not have bought threw Disney and saved $34 a point:ack:

DizneyRox
06-07-2009, 06:10 AM
Well, I do want to clarify.

First, yes, Disney will now tell you that there are no more points at SSR, it's sold out. This is somewhat of a lie. If you tell them to waitlist you, I'm sure you'll get a call fairly soon with some available points at SSR. Buying through Disney you have a pretty good chance of them matching your use year as well, again, just tell them you'll wait.

The only problem with buying through Disney is the cost. You can probably save significantly buying resale, but it does depend on the incentive that Disney is offering. If a resort truly is sold out, I would bet that Disney just exercises their right of first refusal on a resale and divides up the points to sell back to those wanting to buy from Disney.

Resales are going for a loss right now on many properties, even ones like Boardwalk. Now is a good time to take advantage of some bad decisions...

DVC Mike
06-07-2009, 08:09 AM
First, yes, Disney will now tell you that there are no more points at SSR, it's sold out. This is somewhat of a lie. If you tell them to waitlist you, I'm sure you'll get a call fairly soon with some available points at SSR.

Actually, Disney isn't saying SSR is sold out. Disney is actively selling SSR right now, since they declared additional units (THV). However, I would never buy SSR from Disney but go resale, as you'll save a lot.

The only problem with buying through Disney is the cost. You can probably save significantly buying resale, but it does depend on the incentive that Disney is offering.

If someone wants BLT or VGC, there are few resales available, and with the incentives DVC is offering, it's probably better to go with them than resale.

DestinationWDW
06-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Well after a long conversation with my wife we have decided to postpone the addtional points. The deal is pretty good and I really want to add the points but i don't want to lower my reserves.

I guess i put the cart before the horse.
Thanks for all the feedback. I would actually purchase at BLT.