PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian Review - Best Trip Ever

llamaface
06-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Vacation - 5/8 - 5/16
Check-in: We waited less than 5 minutes at check-in. When we got to the front desk, the CM informed us that they had a surprise for us - upgrade from a GV room to a TPV corner room. I cried. We have never received an upgrade before and I was so grateful that this was the vacation that we were to experience our first. The CM (I think her name was Penny) was wonderful.

The Room:OMG, I don't even know where to begin. In addition to being a corner room, it was also a dormer room. The ceilings were vaulted making the room look even larger. We had 2 balconies - one facing the MK and one facing the marina. We could watch the fireworks from the balcony as well as hear the happenings at the MK. There is nothing like having the train whistle wake you up every morning. The room amenities were great - love the H2O products - will definitely be ordering some at a later date. And what is it with the smell of the room? We loved opening the door every night after a day at the parks and being welcomed w/ that wonderful aroma. Wish I could've bottled it and brought it home!

Service: Mousekeeping was wonderful. I always thought TD service was silly - who needs that? However, I came to realize how nice it really is! All of the CM's that we encountered at the resort were great. It really was a different atmosphere than all the other resorts we have stayed at. They all seemed to go out of their way to make our stay special. My DH even received some special help in choosing a Mother's Day bouquet that was specially delivered to me at our cabana on Mother's Day!

Resort Food: We only tried Gaspies, Grand Floridian Cafe and room service. Gasparillas was OK-not much of a selection and very small. The Grand Floridian Cafe's food was great, service - not so much. It seemed to take a very long time to get served. The restaurant was not busy, but I think we got there after the b-fast rush and they were slowly preparing for lunch. Room service was outstanding - food was great and the service was terrific.

Pools: Loved them - especially the courtyard pool, which seemed to be significantly warmer than the other. We did rent a cabana for a day. Was it worth the $100 - I would say yes, but it not something I would do more than one day. There are lots of activities at the beach pool to keep the kids occupied.

Overall: We decided to go all out for this trip for 2 reasons. 1 - you couldn't beat the 4/3 deal, really that was the only thing that allowed us to stay here 2 - we knew that this would probably be our last trip in a while, so we wanted to splurge! (plus we were celebrating my 40th and my oldest DD 13th b-day - 2 milestones) We couldn't have had a better vacation. My whole family has agreed that we will wait to return to Disney until we can afford to stay at the Grand Floridian again! My 8 yr old son has said that he wants to stay in the Main Bldg next time because he wants to be in the middle of it all - LOL We better start playing the lottery :D

PS - not that this has to do w/ the resort, but I just wanted to add that while we were there, we got to see Atlantis lift off from KSC - that was something I have wanted to do since I was a kid - very memorable moment!

figgie
06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Glad you had a wonderful time! By the way, for anyone there, another space shuttle launch is scheduled for June 13 at 7:17 am. Dh and I can watch them from our home but we have been on Disney property a few times and were always able to see the schuttle rise into the sky.

yjgirl32
06-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Congrats on the upgrade!!!! Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

TysMomTink
06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for sharing and congrats on the upgrade. Sounds like a truly wonderful trip. Happy belated b-day too. :mickey:

Checkers
06-05-2009, 09:43 AM
:mickey:Always glad to hear good news. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

RedSoxFan
06-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Sounds very nice. I would love to stay there; but DH has no interest. And how cool to see the space shuttle.:mickey:

TammiMcMan
06-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Nice to hear about the Disney magic, glad you had a good time.

Kathy Jetson
06-06-2009, 03:41 AM
Sounds like a magical vacation!

nicster
06-06-2009, 04:34 AM
Thanks for letting me live through you for the moment:mickey:

SBETigg
06-06-2009, 10:32 AM
So glad you had a great stay! Love that upgrade. Must have been amazing.

I love the GF so much that it's hard to stay anywhere else. My kids prefer the Poly, so next trip will be there, but then it's back to GF.

Seasonscraps
06-06-2009, 12:06 PM
I am glad you had such a wonderful time!! :mickey:

artyboy
06-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Gotta love the GF!

Glad you got an upgrade and had a nice time...room service there is quite nice!

Nini5055
06-08-2009, 08:52 AM
So happy to hear you had such a wonderful trip!!! Aren't those room upgrades amazing?!?!? We were upgraded from GV to Tower room on our 5/7 to 5/13 trip.

Such a wonderful place to stay makes such a huge difference!!!:cloud9:

BluewaterBrad
06-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Good for You! Sounds like You had a great time!:mickey:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm glad for you that everything was so wonderful!

This year, we're skipping Disney for the Caribbean since we're traveling in group and not just the family - oh well! I can't wait to go back and reading your post made me remember why...