PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Belle Riverboat

Familyof4
06-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Has anyone heard that there are characters on the Riverboat? I just read it somewhere, but would like to know for sure, before I take my kids on a long boat ride. Also, does anyone have any opinions on the boat ride, i.e. is it boring, is it fun, do kids like it, etc. Thanks!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-04-2009, 11:01 PM
It is a long, boring boatride.

We finally took it for the first time this past trip, and we won't bother with it again :(

Stu29573
06-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Well, what some see as a "long boring boat ride" we see as a relaxing, even slightly romantic, ride that gives you a fresh vantage point on the park. It's a "don't miss" in my book. That being said, I don't recall any characters...

Zippy 1
06-05-2009, 12:29 AM
We love it! It is relaxing and fun. It is a don't miss for our family:number1:

GrumpyFan
06-05-2009, 02:19 AM
DW and I rode it for the first time on our trip last year. It is a nice, enjoyable and relaxing ride. But, there wer no characters on board when we rode it.

brownie
06-05-2009, 08:03 AM
It's been a few years since this character has been on it! I haven't heard of characters being on the Liberty Belle, but a search did turn up some pictures showing characters on it. I'm guessing it's an occasional thing.

5togetherWDW
06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Years back, we saw them on the river boat. I'd say it was mainly back while they still had the keelboats going. More often, though, they had a meet at the exit ramp / handicapped load ramp to the boat. We saw the Brers there, mostly -- it was always Fronteirland characters that we saw. I think some of those meets may have been introducing Splash Mountain - then moved to that area.
When my boys were toddlers, we did see characters on the boat a couple times -- but even that puts it back quite a few years.

figgie
06-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Not seen characters onboard for many years now. This was never intended to be a thrill ride but for a break in the middle of the day to rest tired feet and let a little one nap, it is very pleasant.

Familyof4
06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
So, does anyone know how long the ride is? I have 3 boys, 9,7 and 1...just wondering if it might be too long for some of them. I am not looking for a thrill, just trying to do everything Disney has to offer. Each year we go, we try to do one more thing we may have not done in the past. Anyway, I appreciate all of the comments.

Stu29573
06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
The ride ranges from 17 to 20 minutes.

5togetherWDW
06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
The Liberty Belle was a ride my boys really enjoyed when little. They did not ever want to watch the scenery though -- they liked to sit and stare at the water going around / off the wheel. By 9, though, that had lost its appeal for my boys. On the other hand, the trip is only about 17 minutes of travel time and does not require a wait. There is a cool breeze and it provides a nice break. Be aware, though, that while there are some seats -- most areas are standing room only. This is not a problem, for me -- I have sat on the floor many a times and they have not complained -- but, if you go on expecting a seat, you may be disappointed. (I've been frustrated many times by healthy young families taking the few seats available -- leaving no seats for the elderly who stood nearby. Personally, I find it strange how few seats they have.) In any case, I would recommend you try it. If you arrive near the time they are boarding, it will take little time away from your day and is a decidedly Disney experience.

Familyof4
06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Ok, so seating is limited, but can I bring a stroller on?? I don't mind standing nor do my older 2 boys--they will look at the water as well. The stroller option would be key if I have to stand.

PlutoPlanet
06-05-2009, 12:30 PM
This year is our 9th at the world and will be our 1st ride on the Liberty Belle.

AmandaChan
06-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Well, what some see as a "long boring boat ride" we see as a relaxing, even slightly romantic, ride that gives you a fresh vantage point on the park. It's a "don't miss" in my book. That being said, I don't recall any characters...

:ditto:

This is also why we love Tom Sawyer's Island. We LOVE to go over there and just sit in the rocking chairs, play some checkers for a refresher. Plus the boat ride maybe lasts what.. 20 minutes, probably. Long enough for a nice break. I think it would be neat for kids, especially if they've never got to be on a big boat. Also you get to wave to everyone waiting to get on Tom Sawyer's and you get to see some scenes (the other side of the indian campsite) that you don't normally get to see. Definitely worth a try -- just to say you did it at least!

p.s. We rode halfway through May and there were no characters.

Stu29573
06-05-2009, 02:28 PM
:ditto:

This is also why we love Tom Sawyer's Island. We LOVE to go over there and just sit in the rocking chairs, play some checkers for a refresher.
Yep, Tom Sawyer Island is a must do as well!:thumbsup:

crltkcagle
06-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Strollers are not allowed, and the ride is about 20 minutes and there are no bathrooms on the boat. My boys 7, 5, and 4 enjoyed it. It was really neat to see the park from the water and take a nice break. Don't ride on the middle part of the boat because its the hottest. The upper deck give you a nice cool breeze and a good view.

VolMickey
06-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Saw some "characters" alright -- wearing Jorts! (just kidding!)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-06-2009, 11:43 PM
We tried getting on the boat last year and just couldn't time it right. I haven't ridden it for awhile but don't remember seeing any characters. It's a nice relaxing 15-20 minute ride and you can see some things you don't normally see.

disney100%
06-08-2009, 04:48 PM
There were no characters on our last trip either. I love this ride because it is relaxing and I can get some nice pictures of the Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mountain (I like to scrapbook). The funny thing on the last trip, my 3.5 year old couln't wait to ride it. He is obsessed with cars, boats, planes, etc. But when they sounded the horn, it scared the pants off him and all he wanted to do was go to the lowere level and wait to set off! I felt terrible. Who knew the Liberty Belle Riverboat could be so scary! ;)

PrincessJadesMom
06-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I thought the ride was kind of relaxing (I was able to get off my feet for a while), but my daughter thought it was boring.

TheRustyScupper
06-08-2009, 08:17 PM
The ride ranges from 17 to 20 minutes.

Based upon
. . . tides
. . . waves
. . . dodging the Indians

Stu29573
06-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Based upon
. . . tides
. . . waves
. . . dodging the Indians

...and gators!:D

GrmGrninGost
06-08-2009, 10:30 PM
We have always liked this ride. I've been on it many times over the last 17 or so years and have yet to see any characters. However, my children still liked it a lot when they were younger. They loved to ride on the top deck and look at the river and listen to "Mark Twain". As they've grown into teenagers, they are not into it like they once were, but DW and I always insist on at least one trip on the Belle each vacation! For me, it's relaxing and most enjoyable. :mickey:

KAJUNKING
06-09-2009, 12:26 PM
i really enjoy the ride, the narration is great and my wife got the best pictures of hm and thunder mountain weve ever taken, its nice to see things from a different point of view