PDA

View Full Version : Who has teen boys?

svarhall07
06-03-2009, 02:26 AM
i'm helping out a family I tutor with plans on their upcoming trip. There son is 15, really into baseball and video games, and not too excited to go to Disney. I'm 21 and in high school was really athletic and into video games, and have explained that I loved it then and still love it now. I'm trying to find some cool things he can do with maybe just his dad away from his little brother and sister, any suggestions or stories about your own teen son's vacations?

DisneyWFan
06-03-2009, 06:04 AM
first things that come to mind would be Disneyquest the only other thing would be one of the water parks other than that make sure they hit Buzz Ligthyear's Space Ranger Spin and TSM These are always a hit with my video game obsessed 13yr old son

VWL Mom
06-03-2009, 07:24 AM
ESPN for lunch is something he might like. Also, depending on where they are staying he might be able to rent a Sea Racer and explore on his own. I'm not sure where the age is on these now, 2007 it was 16 & 2008 it was 13. DS was 16 at the time and had a blast.

Iteachpc
06-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I have a son who will turn 13 this year. We've been going to WDW since he was a toddler, so he loves it and luckily needs no convincing. :mickey:

For a reluctant teen what about checking out Disney's Wide World of Sports. Is there are baseball game while they are on their trip? If so that would be a great father/son activity.

A trip to Disney Quest and a waterpark would probably be hit as well.

How about pointing out the thrill rides in each park: ToT, RRC, EE, MS, TT, Splash Mountain, etc.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-03-2009, 08:28 AM
I have a 15 year old son and we went to Disney World in December. He too is into video games and plays football, but he still loves DW and would go anytime at the drop of a hat.

He likes most of the rides and shows, but he is a typical teenager and loves roller coasters the most. I don't ride roller coasters so he went as a single rider on most of them. His favorites were Rockin Roller coaster, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Everest which he rode 17 times. He also likes Mission Space and Test Track at Epcot....there are so many things but those are his favorites...and of course, like most teenagers he loves to eat and try the different restaurants....he should be fine.

thrillme
06-03-2009, 09:06 AM
He'll probably really enjoy it a lot once he gets there.

Direct them to the thrill rides, Disney Quest, and "down town Disney".

ALL 15 year old boys will appreciate "water parks"...lots of 15 year old girls in bikini's most 15 year old boys can "appreciate" that...get him a pair of nice shades so he can look cool :cool:...He'll probably get a good laugh about someone actually bringing that up. My girlfriend's daughter was about 14...she almost always found a "boy friend" to hang out with at the hotel pool (with both of their parents nearby of course :D). Her parents had a good time too. They enjoyed hanging out at the pool having a few :beer::marg: while their teens flirted and frolicked in the pool.

Sci Fi dinner theater is always rather cool for all ages. Lights, Camera, Action excellent show for teens (don't do this in your car)...

HUGE fun thing for kids of all ages (teens are here too)...get him the latest Hidden Mickey book. There's something about looking for "hidden mickeys" that's really challenging.

MNNHFLTX
06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
My son is 16 and (fortunately) as big a Disney World fan as I am! There are some activities he likes better than others, however. Besides the rides and other attractions, consider checking out Innoventions at Epcot. Of course, it depends what the current exhibits are, but my son can typically spend several hours in there, especially if they have some of the latest video games going.

biggun35
06-03-2009, 10:16 AM
After we returned from our trip last year, our 14 yo was asking when we can go back. He spend the day at Dinseyquest and said it was ok but didn't want to go back later in the trip. He loved the roller coasters especially Aerosmith.

One of the funniest things my son did was when we went to a character dinner the first night. He sternly said that he did not want his picture taken with any of the characters but it only took Goofy coming over and he was all smiles, we have the evidence in the hundreds of pictures that we took.

The young man might think he's too old for Disney but he will enjoy himself once he gets there.

SBETigg
06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
My son loves Disney, and though we've tried to give him some freedom to roam as he has gotten older, he still really prefers to spend time with us visiting his favorite attractions. I think the 15 yo has no idea what to expect and just has to chill and realize that once he gets there, it's so much more than he imagined. My son also enjoys the water parks and spending resort time at the pool. We never fit in enough pool time for his liking. He enjoys the resort arcades. He likes games, but oddly enough was really put off by DisneyQuest. He didn't like it there at all.

joonyer
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I have two DS (16 & 13) and although they have been to WDW since they were kids, we have taken some of their friends who had never been before. Trust me, even if the 15 year old is not gung-ho on going to WDW now, once he gets there, all that will change. Send him to DHS and Rock 'n Roller Coaster and ToT. He'll love it. Just don't send him to "It's a Small World" first. That would be cruel. We did that with my boys when they were much younger. Told them it was the most exciting ride in the world.

MOJoe
06-03-2009, 12:23 PM
I also have a 15 yr old son, who is a baseball and video game player. And i am very familiar with this issue.

I think that if left up to my son, after he rode Test Track, Rockin Roller Coaster, Space and Everest a couple of times each, he would be ready to come home. The rest of the parks and especially the shows have little appeal to him. He sometimes complains and on occasion can get testy.
That said, he does enjoy some things at WDW other than the coasters. Typhoon Lagoon, Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf, and the Espn Club are all things he asks to visit. Also, he really seems to enjoy staying up for the late EMH - after midnight at MK.

The most important thing to do, for us, is to remind him that our vacation is for everyone in the family. And even though he may despise Beauty and the Beast, at some point in the day we will get to the thing that he wants to do.

svarhall07
06-03-2009, 10:05 PM
thanks for all the responses. i actually called him tonight, gave him the link to these boards, and he read through some of the ideas with me.

he is not interested in Disney Quest (not sure why, I think because there are no shooting games). He wants to do the water parks - very into other 15ish year old girls. He also is looking forward to the roller coasters and thrill rides. They are staying at the Grand Floridian, so I've told him the pool is great and big and his parents have said he can spend a few afternoons there alone (and the girls) while his bro/sis rest in the room.

Mostly he is upset that I can't go with him, I was originally supposed to tag along and hang out with him while his parents and little bro/sis did children's rides/character meets.

his parents have booked a boat at the contemporary for him to go parasailing, but it is a surprise (I've tried to tell them to tell him so he will get excited, but they want it to be a surprise). They go next week, I'll let everyone know his thoughts after. Keep the suggestions coming.

SandmanGStefani24
06-03-2009, 11:26 PM
well I WAS a teenage boy not too long ago. Thrill rides are always a hit, but the Motors show at MGM might also be a good thing. If all else fails, maybe turning him loose for a while will be ok. After all, there is plenty of something that is bound to keep his interest...

Girls.

:D

All joking aside, I had a blast when I was a cynical, metalhead, obnoxious kid. He will too.

VWL Mom
06-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Mostly he is upset that I can't go with him, I was originally supposed to tag along and hang out with him while his parents and little bro/sis did children's rides/character meets.

I just had to change our August dates as DS17 is bringing a friend this time and the HS sports start the day we were leaving. He was very disappointed but I was able to move everything and it worked out.

Remind him to FP rides and he can get on them while they are doing the rides/meets. He can always double up in a location if any of the family cards are available. For example, in MK BTMRR & SM next to each other so DH & I FP one while DS13 & DS 17 FP the other and then the boys use both sets. Similar at DHS for ToT & RnRc.

aurora, ariel, and bell
06-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Its been a few years since i've been to disney quest with my two teenage boys, but even though there are no shooting games they did enjoy building and riding in their own rollercoasters. there was also a raft ride that i remember them spending alot of time on.

The boys really enjoyed the water parks as well, for them that was the big hit!

another suggestion if he plays golf, perhaps hif father and him could take in a round of golf. i don't golf but went with my husband and really enjoyed it.

Good luck and hope he has a blast!

MarkC
06-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Ditto the water parks. Also, this could fill an afternoon-- a couple of years ago my son and his friend (both 17) borrowed my camera. They went to each country in the World Showcase and had their picture taken with the cutest girl in each country. And judging from the pictures, they did a good job. Mark

wendy*darling
06-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Mu boys went as teens several times.
My now 19 yo is the big Disney fan, but my now 22yo is more into sports and tolerates our Disney trips. There is always plenty he enjoys though.

I have taken our Boy Scout Troop twice- in 2001 and 2007. 15 teenage boys- some were very skeptical about going to a kiddie park! All were converts by the end of the week! :thumbsup:

There is something in every park for everyone. As long as Mom & Dad let him pick one or two things each day that HE wants to do, it will make it easier to tolerate the stuff for the younger sibs.

And, as has already been mentioned- mini-golf, boating, ESPN Club, water parks, hanging at the pool- those are all appealing to teens.

(Great idea for the "surprise"- although I doubt it is still surprise since you gave him the link to the boards! ;))