PDA

View Full Version : Sending purchases home

terri110874
06-01-2009, 06:15 PM
With airline fees for extra bags so much $$$$$. I was thinking of having Disney shipping items I buy to home. Does any know how much it cost? How do I have them sent home? Any advice? Thank you:mickey:

NotaGeek
06-01-2009, 07:03 PM
They charge you a shipping fee to cover postage and boxing -- but it is a REALLY good deal as you do not pay tax on the items! I started doing this 2 years ago and it's really worth it because I don't have to worry about getting a lot of stuff home ... I just try to do all my shopping at once so I have fewer charges as Disney's charge is by the cost of the item. Sorry I don't know exact amounts I just know when I checked shipping vs. tax it was never that far off.

Aggie97
06-01-2009, 11:09 PM
We used to do this when we lived farther from WDW and traveled there by plane. I can't recall the cost, but it always seemed reasonable considering the sales tax exemption! It was especially nice for breakable items, which we did not trust in our airline-checked bags. As the previous poster suggested, we would try to purchase as many items as possible at once (usually from World of Disney due to its large selection) to minimize the shipping cost. :mickey:

DizneyRox
06-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Shipping costs are actually quite expensive these days. They are based on the cost of the items. I think it starts at about $10 and goes up from there. There was a thread about current shipping costs, I'll try to find it.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=124232

You may want to look into the Flat Rate baxes at your local post office. YOu can pre-pay the shipping and have those sent home. Anything you can fit in the box goes where you address it.

As far as sales tax goes, you ARE suposed to claim these tax free items on your state taxes at tax time. So I don't know if it's wise to advocate this as a way to save money. I'm not a tax accountant, but I believe you are supposed to pay up to your normal sales tax on any items purchased. So, you're really not saving anything, unless your local sales tax is less than the Florida state sales tax. Check with your tax preparer however, this may vary by state.

TheRustyScupper
06-02-2009, 07:57 AM
1) DO NOT ship items home from the WDW stores.
2) Shipping is now a profit center, with a HUGE service charge markup.
3) Ship the items from your resort.
4) WDW resorts do not add a service charge, just the actual ship costs.
5) You can select UPS, FEDEX or USPS.
6) If you claim more than $100 in value, you must itemize the contents.
7) You
. . . go to the gift shop and ask for old boxes
. . . pack your stuff
. . . take to Concierge or Front Desk
. . . they will seal and ship for you

spoiledraf
06-02-2009, 08:46 AM
You may want to look into the Flat Rate baxes at your local post office. YOu can pre-pay the shipping and have those sent home. Anything you can fit in the box goes where you address it.

Those flat rate boxes are VERY SMALL. You won't get more than a couple T-shirts in them. And they go up to 70 pounds. Don't think I want my snow globe traveling under a stainless steel die going to a mill somewhere. :(

DizneyRox
06-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Those flat rate boxes are VERY SMALL. You won't get more than a couple T-shirts in them. And they go up to 70 pounds. Don't think I want my snow globe traveling under a stainless steel die going to a mill somewhere. :(
There are now at least three different flat rate box sizes, the large is actually pretty large. I woudln't trust a snow globe in one either. If you are concerned with breakage, that's one reason I would go through Disney shipping. That was, if it does break on the way home, THEY are the ones who pick up the cost. Once you take ownership of the items, you are responsible for getting it home.