PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews: 5/25-5/29

Yvette
06-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I can't believe our time at WDW passed so quickly. Here's a brief review of what we ate and our impressions of each restaurant and service. I apologize in advance for no pictures, my camera was on the fritz this trip and my phone takes poor quality shots, so no pics for you! Next! ;)

The diners: Me and DD, 25. We didn't get the dining plan as we like appetizers and aren't real big dessert eaters. I've included the bill totals of those I kept track of.

Mon 5/25 (Memorial Day).

MK: Pecos Bills for a late lunch.

Me: Cheeseburger and fries with an iced tea.
DD: Taco Salad, chili cheese fries and a water.

Grade: B+. Very good, large portions and the toppings bar was great. Note: the cheese sauce is very hot!

Cost: $25.99

Cafe Rix at CS for a late snack.

Grade: A-. DD had a turkey sandwich which she said was pretty good and I had a slice of strawberry shortcake (I know, I know, I said I don't eat desserts, but the strawberries looked so good!). Very good cake :thumbsup:

Cafe Rix Bar: Cute place. Good drinks, I had a Margarita and DD some kind of martini. A bit pricey which was to be expected.

Grade: A

Tues 5/26. Animal Kingdom

Tusker House for lunch.

My DD is not a big fan of buffets, but this one was awesome!! Very good food, great variety. We will definitely be returning!

We ate: roast beef, pork loin with a spicy chutney sauce, roasted chicken that was perfect. Chicken curry that was my DD favorite. Couscous, bamati rice, and orso. We even had dessert! Very, very good.

Grade: A+

Dinner: Rose and Crown England in EPCOT.

Bit of a disappointment here. My DD really wanted to try it but while the leak soup was tasty the fish and chips were not very good. Also the service was painfully slooooooow. We ended up missing the first half of the fireworks waiting for the check.

Grade: C? I feel so bad, but for $60 I was expecting much better. Both DD and I had bad heartburn all night.

Wed 5/27 EPCOT Day

Lunch: Kringla Bakery in Norway.

We originally had an ADR for Biergarten for lunch, but opted for light sandwiches after the fish and chips mayhem of the night before.

DD had a Norwegian Club and I had a roast beef sandwich. Very good. Fresh bread and veggies. The spreads were quite tasty as well.

Grade: A

Dinner: Marrakesh in Morocco.

This, I am sorry to say, was a disappointment. In the past a must, I don't think we will be returning. They took the rice off of the menu along with the spice red dipping sauce for the kabobs. I had the steak and DD the chicken. Both were served with couscous, no substitutions. They were pretty good, but not what we enjoyed in the past.

Grade: B-

Cost: $82.91 You read it right folks. Now we each had a Casablanca beer which was tasty, but not worth the price tag.

Thurs. 5/28 DHS. (Or MGM in my mind).

Lunch: Sci Fi Diner.

We never ate here before but I wanted to check out the theming. What a cute place. Both of us laughed at the old B movies. Now onto the food.

I had the Italian Grilled Chicken Sandwich with fries, DD had the chili and we shared onion rings. Surprisingly good. ;) The onion rings were quite tasty.

Grade: B+

Cost: $52.31 with 2 beers (notice a trend here?)

We will be back.

Dinner: Capt. Cooks, Polynesian

For the life of me I can't remember what I ate. :blush: DD had the soba noodles with chicken which was quite good and we both refilled our mugs from the fountain. Not bad for CS.

Grade: B+

Cost: $16.57

Fri. 5/29. All over the place! This was our day to revisit the parks and re-ride our favorites like Pirates and Everest

Lunch: Kona Cafe, Polynesian.

We originally had an ADR for breakfast but overslept. :blush: They were quite accomodating in getting us in for lunch anyway.

I had the teriyaki steak with pineapple salsa and rice, and DD had the Macadamia nut and chive encusted Mahi Mahi with noodles and bok choy. She gave it a hearty :thumbsup: and finished every bite!! No mean feat with my daughter. My steak was tender, mashed potatoes tasty. We will definitely return!

We even took a piece of the Kahlua Torte to go for a snack later. Excellent! And we're not that big on sweets.

Grade: A+

Cost: $56.91

Dinner: Tutto Italia, Italy at EPCOT.

I had the penne in a spicy red sauce with cheese, DD had the Pollo al Matone, a pressed chicken with lemon and potatoes. Mine was good, nothing special and DD said her chicken needed more lemon. The service was very good, but the restaurant was loud and crowded. And the bill!! Mama Mia!

Grade: B-

Cost: $85.21 which included wine. Will I return? I doubt it. I'm Italian and the food wasn't anything I haven't made myself.

Now we did have Italian Margaritas from the stand which were quite good and earned a big :thumbsup: even with the $10 price tag!!

Tambu Lounge, Polynesian.

We needed to try the Lapu Lapus to drink on the beach while watching Wishes.

Grade: A+ perfect end to our last day!!

Final analysis:

Eating at WDW is not cheap!! The drinks are even more outrageous. I planned on $200 a day for food, drinks and stuff. While we didn't spend that much, we came pretty close.
Would the Dining plan have helped us save money? Not really, since we don't have dessert with every meal. We only ate 2 desserts total between us the entire 5 days. Now, if they introduce a drinking plan, we're on it!! :beer:

alliekat
06-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Great report! I also support the drinking plan!! On the next trip you have to try a Yak Attack in AK at the outdoor drink counter near the Yak and Yeti, it's sooo yummy! :marg:

SBETigg
06-01-2009, 10:10 PM
We love paying in advance for the DP, and depending on what you order, whether or not you get dessert doesn't always matter. Sometimes you break even, sometimes you still save, sometimes you lose money. For the convenience, I'll take the plan. But I also love dessert.

Re: Rose and Crown. I love it, but my husband and I both got vicious food poisoning after our last visit. It was the only place that we both had the same foods, and we were both wretchedly ill all night afterwards. Had shared meat/cheese plate and bangers and mash for lunch, and it ruined our late dinner plans at Jiko. It also took us almost three hours for lunch, due to slow (but very friendly) service. Sadly, we won't go back next trip (or maybe just for a Guinness).

tinksmom02
06-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the great reviews, and here's another vote for a drinking plan! We discovered the Peach tea schnapp-something in China last trip--YUM!

Great report! I also support the drinking plan!! On the next trip you have to try a Yak Attack in AK at the outdoor drink counter near the Yak and Yeti, it's sooo yummy! :marg:

What's in a Yak Attack? May have to try it in Sept!

MOJoe
06-02-2009, 01:46 PM
If there was a Disney Drink plan, then the conversations on my cell phone would go like this......

Where are you?

At the Bar.

When are you coming to bed?

I have 2 more beer credits, and a mixed drink credit left..........so don't wait up.

Yvette
06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
If there was a Disney Drink plan, then the conversations on my cell phone would go like this......

Where are you?

At the Bar.

When are you coming to bed?

I have 2 more beer credits, and a mixed drink credit left..........so don't wait up.

:cheers: Too true!!!

Spaceship Tigger
06-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Dinner: Rose and Crown England in EPCOT.

Bit of a disappointment here. My DD really wanted to try it but while the leak soup was tasty the fish and chips were not very good. Also the service was painfully slooooooow. We ended up missing the first half of the fireworks waiting for the check.

I must completely agree with this one. We have eaten at R&C on each of our last two trips and both times now we have waited a VERY long time to get our check taken care of. Last time it took twenty minutes to get our card and receipts back after giving them to the waitress. When one of you has to take the kids outside while the other is sitting there alone waiting to pay, it's not very enjoyable.

artyboy
06-04-2009, 02:02 PM
A Disney Drinking Plan sounds like a blast...but they'd probably lose money on us!:blush:

mudpuppysmom
06-04-2009, 02:45 PM
For once I hope someone from Disney exec's is reading.....yes to the Disney Drink Program!!! Normally I say something about not giving them any ideas on how to take something away!! Now, let's add this!!!

Sounds like you girls had a nice trip, sans the R&C incident w/ heartburn! UG!

Thanks for sharing!!

pdrlkr
06-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Great Reviews! :eat:

Belster
06-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Great reviews thanks!!!

I think you may have saved a bit of money with the DP...maybe??? Even if you did not eat the sweet treats you could have chosen what you wanted and it would be paid for. Just a thought...