PDA

View Full Version : Can we discuss laundry for a minute?

Hull-onian
05-31-2009, 06:40 PM
I find that laundry detergent is very expensive. Do you? So what I have done was change brands and that didn't go over to big. So I went back to Tide. What I have done, is cut back on the amount per laundry load. The next thing would be not to :laundry::laundry2: wash my clothes. What do you do to bring down the cost :spend: of doing laundry?:confused:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-31-2009, 07:31 PM
I find that we can use about 1/2 of the amount that is "recommended" and still get clean clothes.

Other than that, we hang dry/air dry as much as we can, to cut down on drying, and it makes the clothes last longer.

NotaGeek
05-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Since I moved to Spokane last March I have been using a front load washer ... I can't believe how little detergent I use now and my clothes are SO much nicer thanks to the front loader. I think the cost of detergent is just the way it is ... they gotta make money somehow.

JPL
05-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Since I don't have a washer and dryer in my apartment I use to go to the laundry mat about once every 2 weeks. I later found a wash dry and fold service that picks up and delivers my laundry and believe it not it saves me a few bucks over going to laundry mat.

Briansmom
05-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, my DH used to be a 'nothing but Tide' guy, but then I snuck in 'Gain' and he was fine. Then I went further and snuck in Purex Lily and something, environ friendly,(light green bottle) and he is good with that now too. I don't use as much as they recommend. Also, you can tear the dryer sheets in half...only use 1/2 sheet per load.

marylynne95
05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
I get whichever detergent is on sale!! :mickey:

tinksmom02
05-31-2009, 10:07 PM
I get whichever detergent is on sale!! :mickey:

Same here, whatever "detergent- and perfume-free" detergent I can get for a decent price...

Tink2002
05-31-2009, 10:49 PM
cost of detergent aside, it's even worse when you don't have machines in your apartment and have to go do it elsewhere.... for sheets, towels, and clothes about once a week for dbf and I it easily costs 15-20 dollars, not figuring in the cost of supplies. (Which means that I ALWAYS haul it all home with me on weekends that I go visit.) I can't WAIT to buy a washer and dryer in a few years when it's time to settle in somewhere after college. I'll certainly be shedding some happy tears. ;)

Boojum
06-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Oftentimes, if you'll read the fine print directions on a box of detergent, it will recommend something like "half a cup" of detergent per load. But guess what?? That scoop they enclose holds MUCH more than half a cup! I've experimented enough to discover that half a cup will usually clean a load just fine, unless the clothes are exceptionally dirty.

Also, from what I've found, bleach is bleach is bleach. You may see commercials claiming Clorox cleans better than other bleaches, but my dollar store brand does just fine!

I use wooden drying racks in my basement playroom. Luckily, there are two vents blowing air down from the ceiling, and the clothes dry pretty quickly in both winter and summer. Lastly, when you air-dry clothes this way, there is little or no static in them. No dryer sheets or fabric softener needed.

Magic Smiles
06-01-2009, 06:54 AM
I like the suggestion of tearing the dryer sheets in half. Will definitely try to remember that one.

Somebody somewhere suggested soaking a used dryer sheet in fabric softener and the re-using the sheets. Don't know how well this would work, but I am sure it is worth a try.

I use Sunlight HE (have a front loader) and I can't use the cheaper brands as I end up with a rash everywhere. As the Sunlight HE is very concentrated you require very little in the machine. The biggest problem is to remember that you require very little.
But, yes, the cost of doing laundry does seem to be on the rise along with everything else, except the majority of salaries!

Tinkerfreak
06-01-2009, 08:03 AM
I have tried many different brands of detergent but I still find that Tide works the best and you can use half the amount and get the same results. When I tried using the lesser amount of the cheaper brands they just didn't clean as well. DH is in construction so his clothes can get really dirty. It saves me no money if I use the cheaper brands and have to use more detergent plus sometimes have to rewash them because they didn't get completely clean.
I also have a front load washer and love it. My clothes are much cleaner than when I had a top load washer.
I agree that hanging your clothes to dry can save alot of money on your electric bill.

Disney Doll
06-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I switched to Charlie's Soap last spring when I was looking for a good soap for cloth diapers. That stuff is fabulous and we quickly started using it for everything. It seemed expensive, but that was before I realized that you are only supposed to use 1 tbsp per load. They also sell in bulk so I invested in a 5 gallon bucket which I split with my mother. A year later my half a bucket is never ending. Works great, environmentally friendly, and budget conscious.

disneymom15
06-01-2009, 09:46 AM
On our local morning show, there was a viewer who makes her own laundry soap. She says in total, she spends about $6 a year to wash her clothes. She's a nurse and says her whites come out very white and also smell fresh and clean. Here's her recipe for anyone interested. I haven't tried it yet.
1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
1/2 cup 20 Mule Team borax
1/2 cup Arm & hammer washing soap
mix together, use 1 tbsp per load.

Hull-onian
06-01-2009, 07:33 PM
On our local morning show, there was a viewer who makes her own laundry soap. She says in total, she spends about $6 a year to wash her clothes. She's a nurse and says her whites come out very white and also smell fresh and clean. Here's her recipe for anyone interested. I haven't tried it yet.
1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
1/2 cup 20 Mule Team borax
1/2 cup Arm & hammer washing soap
mix together, use 1 tbsp per load.

Wow, I have never heard of this recipe before. I use to use 20 Mule Team borax, and Arm & Hammer, I used Fels Naptha Soap when I got poison ivy (it worked great for that.):thumbsup:

Hull-onian
06-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I switched to Charlie's Soap last spring when I was looking for a good soap for cloth diapers. That stuff is fabulous and we quickly started using it for everything. It seemed expensive, but that was before I realized that you are only supposed to use 1 tbsp per load. They also sell in bulk so I invested in a 5 gallon bucket which I split with my mother. A year later my half a bucket is never ending. Works great, environmentally friendly, and budget conscious.

We looked up Charlies Soap. It looks good too. We would have to have it shipped to us though. Thanks for the tip.:thumbsup:

teambricker04
06-02-2009, 12:07 AM
I like my nice smelling 7thGeneration... it is a little expensive, but I love it. I don't buy dryer sheets any more... I use vinegar with essential oil in a spray bottle on scrap fabric. Works like a charm (except in sheets, it tends to get stuck in the bulk!). Our best investment was our super nice front loader. Now if the laundry could do itself :)

jrkcr
06-02-2009, 10:31 AM
I have used the above homemade laundry soap, and added a few drops of lavender oil I got at our local lavender farm. I thought it worked just fine, but I only make that when I am in my "save the earth/become a homesteader" kind of mood.
DD9 had a blast helping to make it! We filled a plastic box(21 lb kitty litter came in it) and she had to stir and stir. :stir:

But mostly I buy Ecos from Costco. Jumbo sized, around 15$ for 120 oz, and heres the ingredients:
Plant (coconut) based surfactant, soap bark, chamomile, horsetail (plant), lavender, rosemary, soy based fabric softener, essential oils of magnolias and lilies, water.

Hull-onian
06-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I have used the above homemade laundry soap, and added a few drops of lavender oil I got at our local lavender farm. I thought it worked just fine, but I only make that when I am in my "save the earth/become a homesteader" kind of mood.
DD9 had a blast helping to make it! We filled a plastic box(21 lb kitty litter came in it) and she had to stir and stir. :stir:

But mostly I buy Ecos from Costco. Jumbo sized, around 15$ for 120 oz, and heres the ingredients:
Plant (coconut) based surfactant, soap bark, chamomile, horsetail (plant), lavender, rosemary, soy based fabric softener, essential oils of magnolias and lilies, water.

Wow, those are nice ingredients, makes ya want to eat it. :tasty:

pixiesmimi
06-07-2009, 03:51 PM
I used to use Tide until it became so expensive. Then I switched to Arm and Hammer liquid until the store I shop at stopped carrying it for some reason and only carry the powder. I don't like using the powder. So I started using All or whatever is in a smaller bottle/smaller measure. It just keeps going up and up because they know people have to have it.

The best detergent I have ever used and was concentrated so you only used about 1/4 cup per load was Amway SA8. Then they went out of business. I have seen commercials lately where they are back in business again but haven't found anyone to buy it from. It came in a gal jug and lasted forever. Now I just buy the cheapest I can find without all the fragrances, etc. And, yes, bleach is bleach so I buy the Wal-Mart brand that is about 97 cents a bottle. Works just as good. I may try your new recipe though.

I use the dryer balls in my dryer instead of dryer sheets. Saves me lots of money and works just as good. Has anyone tried the new sheets that are supposed to have detergent and fabric softner both in them and you use one per load? I have been wondering how these work.