PDA

View Full Version : Boma v. Jiko

bostomco
05-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey Everyone, We're trying to put together our dining plan for the last week of september. We're debating between Boma and Jiko at AKL for one of our TS meals. Boma will cost us one TS per person whereas Jiko will cost us two. How does everyone feel about each? Is Jiko worth the extra TS? We're already going to the California Grill one night (I'm so pumped for Wishes while eating dinner again!) Thanks!

MinnieMommie
05-31-2009, 03:56 PM
There is another thread in Dining called "is Jiko worth 2 TS". There are some really good responses in that thread which will be helpful.

Both Boma and Jiko are great places to dine (however very different). I would pay out of pocket if you want to dine at Jiko rather than use the 2 TS. Since you already have Cali Grill you will be down even more TS if you go with Jiko. The 1 TS for Bomo is well worth the it. Great food and lots of it! :mickey:

svarhall07
06-01-2009, 12:49 AM
EAT AT BOMA!

it is my absolute favorite restaurant in WDW. I do like Jiko as well, but you have to choose an appetizer/entree, etc. At Boma you can try everything and the quality is outstanding. It is not like a typical buffet, the food is prepared right behind the line and you can see the fresh ingredients going in. I always say try Boma first, and then once you know the AKL's flavors, then try Jiko.

pdrlkr
06-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Our vote is for Boma. The food is awesome. And it has a variety of foods to try in case you don't like one of the dishes. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
06-01-2009, 07:09 AM
I've tried both. I do love Jiko, but if I had to choose one, I would choose Boma. Choose Jiko if you're looking for a relaxed meal in a nicer setting, more of a fine dining experience. Boma is fun in a louder, more casual setting, but so many amazing dishes to try. I would do Boma first, then try Jiko on a future trip. It's possible, though no guarantees, that you could book Boma and check both out and switch to Jiko if you change your mind on the spot. I think Jiko usually has openings.

Menai2WDW
06-01-2009, 07:13 AM
We are having the same dilema as to which place to choose to eat on our first night (we are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge).

We arrive on my DW's birthday and so would like to try something special. However, we will have flown in from the UK on that day and so it will have been a long day travelling and I wonder if we will be too tired to do either restaurant justice!

Is Jiko quite formal?

MinnieMommie
06-01-2009, 06:25 PM
No it is not formal. It is fine dining experience in a relaxed environment. We stayed at AKL recently and made late reservations for the night of the day we flew in. It was a quiet and elegant evening. We were dressed but there were people who were not dressed up much at all. I recommend Jiko on the first night of your stay. It will be a great place to unwind and to fill up on a great meal. :mickey:

SBETigg
06-01-2009, 07:09 PM
No it is not formal. It is fine dining experience in a relaxed environment. We stayed at AKL recently and made late reservations for the night of the day we flew in. It was a quiet and elegant evening. We were dressed but there were people who were not dressed up much at all. I recommend Jiko on the first night of your stay. It will be a great place to unwind and to fill up on a great meal. :mickey:

I agree. In this case, Jiko is probably a good bet. It is a relaxing environment, and you won't have to worry about getting up to fill plates. Just enjoy and let them take care of you.

ThanxForNoticin
06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Another vote for Boma. Jiko is very good, but for us, Boma just offers more variety and options. It gives you the chance to try new things - if you don't like it, you try something else. If you do like it, you can get more. We feel it's also one of the better 'values' at Disney.

joonyer
06-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I love Boma, but generally you can get more value for your TS credits by not using them at buffets. However, I don't know about the math when it comes to using 2TS credits for one meal. You'd have to look at the menu prices and decide if it's worth your credits to use 2TS credits for Jiko.

bostomco
06-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Sounds like Boma it is! Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

jcvalenti
06-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't know anything about the dining plan value, since I refuse to participate in, but I do know that out of the two dining experiences, I much prefer Jiko.

The food at Boma is nice, but I just hate buffets. If you are going during a peak season, for me there's no debate: Jiko. The food is spectacular, it's one of the nicest restaurants in WDW, and it is a singularly unique sit down experience.

Furthermore, if you're a wine drinker, Jiko features one of the best wine lists I've ever seen, featuring the largest collection of South African wines in the USA (reportedly) ... and South Africa is doing some fine wines these days.

VolMickey
06-03-2009, 06:45 PM
We love both. As we're not wine drinkers, I think of it like this:

Boma -- variety, hectic, serve yourself
Jiko -- less variety, quiet, table service

Depends upon your mood. FYI - the breakfast at Boma is great.

figgie
06-04-2009, 09:19 AM
We ate at Jiko on Tuesday night and I agree with the previous posters, it all depends on the mood you want. Boma is a great place to try different things but can be hectic and noisey. A good place for families with kids because they can get up and move around and try different foods. Jiko is quieter and more formal. We were celebrating our anniversary and it was just perfect for us. We did dress up and most people in the restaurant were dressed up as well. Most of the people were adults but the children that were there were well behaved and seemed to enjoy themselves. There was a little girl at the table next to us who was celebrating her 3rd birthday and she was a little doll. I think you know your own party and where they will be most comfortable. Just choose what is right for your group and you will be happy with your mealtime experience.