PDA

View Full Version : Family Style?

cherbie66
05-30-2009, 08:56 AM
What exactly is "family style?"

It's a stupid question I'm sure. But I'm confused.

sassy2000
05-30-2009, 09:36 AM
They bring out large platters of food for everyone to share and it's all-you-can-eat. The Garden Grill & Ohana are 2 of our fave places to eat that offer family style dinners.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-30-2009, 09:36 AM
No stupid questions!

Family style is like what you would do at home. Food is served to the table, on a large plate and everyone takes some. Just your family/group is seated at the table, so you're not sharing with strangers.

You can order more of everything, or of any specific item you'd like.

Night Tracker
05-30-2009, 11:13 AM
I like to think of it as a full table service buffet. It's a buffet but they place the platters of food on the center of your table so you don't have to get up. But yes like the others said, it is like a "normal" meal at home where you have all the food sitting in the middle of the table and your family dishes themselves up. But when the platter is almost empty, no one has to fight over who gets the last piece of turkey... You just ask for more and they bring another platter for your family's table.

DS9 and DD7 love family style and buffets, especially the Liberty Tree Tavern family style dinner, it's just like Thanksgiving minus the in-laws. We usually go during free dining and our kids hate the kids menus they have at most places. DS9 pigs out on the roast beef at LTT.
I think these styles are better deals for picky eaters.

wdwfansince75
05-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Ever been to Good N' Plenty in Smoketown, or Plain and Fancy (Not the one in Quakertown, but the one in Bird in Hand)?
That's Family Style!

Now, if Disney could just add Shoe Fly Pie to their deserts! Maybe next trip, I'll ask DW to bake one to take with us!

TheRustyScupper
05-30-2009, 02:47 PM
1) Think of home style as style at home.
2) They place all the food on the table.
3) Then, you get to
. . . reach across the table for your food
. . . reach in front of others for your food
. . . reach into the food dishes to scrape out your food
4) Just like at home.
5) Except, you don't have to clear or wash dishes.
6) Maybe.

Daddy Mouse
05-30-2009, 10:50 PM
3) Then, you get to
4) Just like at home.
6) Maybe.

I've never tipped at home :D

tjstrike
05-31-2009, 03:01 AM
3) Then, you get to
4) Just like at home.
6) Maybe.

You forgot the part about paying them a couple hundred bucks for them to let you do that.... :D

TheRustyScupper
05-31-2009, 08:38 AM
I've never tipped at home :D

I do, once in a while. :thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
05-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Ever been to Good N' Plenty in Smoketown, or Plain and Fancy (Not the one in Quakertown, but the one in Bird in Hand)?
That's Family Style!

Now, if Disney could just add Shoe Fly Pie to their deserts! Maybe next trip, I'll ask DW to bake one to take with us!

When we went to Plain and Fancy we were seated at a long table with a lot of strangers. This not, I repeat not the way you are seated at family style restaurants at Disney. You will only be seated with the members of your party.
Now the German restaurant in Epcot is a different matter entirely.

rsumrall
05-31-2009, 04:13 PM
The family-style menus are a nice change of pace from other dining options.

We particularly like the bbq platter at Whispering Canyon, which isn't a truly family-style restaurant, but as we all order the platter, it essentially is the same thing.