PDA

View Full Version : La Cellier

Kaps
05-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I have been trying for 5 years to get in here for dinner and have not been able to. Is it worth the hassle, how is the food?:chef:

motherof4
05-29-2009, 08:46 PM
that is exactly how long I have been trying to get into le cellier and I was wondering the same thing. I finally got in the last day of my stay.there happen to be a cancellation I guess I got lucky I will let you know if it was worth the wait. I heard it was delicious.

faline
05-29-2009, 09:00 PM
The steaks are very good. The overall experience seems to depend upon where you're seated and how crowded it is.

GrmGrninGost
05-29-2009, 09:09 PM
We have enjoyed the food at all our meals there. The service on the other hand has been hit or miss. I still highly recommend it! I feel sure you will enjoy it! :mickey:

missymouseworld
05-29-2009, 09:20 PM
We were recently there on our last trip in April and was disappointed. We really didn't care for the dark/dungeon type atmosphere. The food was OK, but we have had better in Epcot. However, the best part of the experience was our server, she was really great.

Funny experience there, when my husband was standing up to let our son out of the booth we were at, he leaned on the table with his hands and the whole table top came off from the pedestal underneath and all the screws were on the floor. Very strange.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Le Cellier is good, not great, and nothing to get super-excited over.

We've been twice, and don't bother going back...there wasn't anything really wrong with it, the food was good, the service OK, but not worth the hype (at least in our opinion).

I did love the maple creme brulee though :blush:

dmosher
05-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Personally, we LOVE Le Cellier and make it a point to get a reservation at least once per trip. Is it worth it? You will get mixed reviews and reasons from everyone. Look at the online menus and take personal reviews with a grain of salt. My advice is to keep trying to get your reservation and/or keep checking at the reservation desk in case there has been a cancellation.
:pipes:
D

GoofyforFun
05-29-2009, 10:24 PM
The steaks are very good. The overall experience seems to depend upon where you're seated and how crowded it is.
we had a great experience when we went and my brother just got back (Easter) and had a so so experience???

DisneyGlutton
05-29-2009, 11:02 PM
We really didn't care for the dark/dungeon type atmosphere. The food was OK, but we have had better in Epcot. However, the best part of the experience was our server, she was really great.

I agree with all these points. As long as you keep your expectations to an appropriate level, you should enjoy yourself. You won't be blown away, but it should be fine.

SBETigg
05-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Le Cellier is good, but it is so overrated. Once you're there, it's a pretty basic restaurant experience that specializes in steaks, and does a good but by no means great job of it. It's not worth the hassle to get in or worth the hype. But it is consistent and you will have a good meal.

jcvalenti
05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Le Cellier is good, but it is so overrated. Once you're there, it's a pretty basic restaurant experience that specializes in steaks, and does a good but by no means great job of it. It's not worth the hassle to get in or worth the hype. But it is consistent and you will have a good meal.

Agree 100%. It's a decent restaurant, but nowhere near good enough to earn the accolades it seems to get on these forums. It's gone downhill a lot in the last 3 - 4 years, too.

If you can get in, it's decent ... but it's at best an average steak joint and severely overpriced for the quality of the food you get.

Night Tracker
05-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Can't get a reservation?
Here's how we get in (this was two years ago, off season during free dining.)
We went to guest relations and asked if we could get a reservation for any time during our stay, they said no. Even though we couldn't get a reservation, I asked them what time the latest reservation could be.
We went to Le Cellier at the time they said would be their last ressie and DW begged the CM at the outside podium to let us eat there. He went inside for a minute then came back out and told us we were in luck.
Turns out we really were in luck, there we only a few occupied tables and our server was only working one other table. Normally I wouldn't care too much about talking with the waiter, but he was from Vancouver BC and we were from the Seattle area. DW told him about her last trip to his hometown. He had been working WDW for about a year and was planning on returning home in three months, he was sooo homesick. Not the creepy kind of homesick, but rather the happy reminiscing kind of homesick. He told us of all the great parts of British Columbia (we'd been to most parts.)
We had a great time and good food. We ended up double tipping because he was so great (this was when gratuity was included, and we included a little extra cash for him.)

Upon other visits, they were busy and our service suffered but I still think that Le Cellier is a must do for each trip... well during free dining anyway.

So, if you can't get a ressie, just try going before closing and ask if they will take a walk-in. Tell them you haven't been able to get that reservation in those five years you mentioned. It can't hurt. Of course, if you don't get in, you won't have many choices after park closing, so plan a backup just in case.

Tigger&Stitch
05-30-2009, 02:50 AM
I think it's totally worth it! To be honest, though, we haven't had trouble getting reservations on our past three trips (we tend to go in September).

I think it's also pretty telling that so many people love the place that reservations are difficult to come by. Sure, some people have had bad experiences, but they have to be in the minority, or the restaurant would eventually lose business.

In my opinion, the pretzel bread sticks alone are worth it. :D

Some might see the atmosphere as a "dungeon", but to us, it's a romantic cellar (hence the name). Depends on your expectations, the time of day/evening and who you are dining with.

Like another poster said, drop by and see if you can get a table. There are definite lulls in the day, and people cancel or forget reservations all the time. At least stop by and see if you can get the pretzel bread sticks to go - you won't be sorry! :thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
05-30-2009, 07:50 AM
1) It is a good eatery.
2) Not great, but good.
3) It does not rate its reputation.
4) If you get an ADR, good.
5) If you can't get an ADR, it is not major crime.

RedSoxFan
05-30-2009, 09:12 AM
We finally were able to get an ADR at LeCellier on our last trip. Like some of the others have said, it's good; but not great. We had a good meal; but I don't think it was worth the money we spent and will not be rushing back.

disneymom2000
05-30-2009, 01:52 PM
I think Le Cellier is like most high profile restaurants. The food is pretty good, but you can get better at other restaurants. The reason it is so hard is that the posters on Intercot have built it up so much that if you can't get a reservation here during your stay, your vacation is almost not complete. Well - that said - I think if you get in, that's great, you can see what all the hype (not) is about and go out, even if you had a so-so meal, and exclaim that it is the best thing at WDW so that it is difficult for anyone else to get a reservation. I have eaten here twice in my 8 visits and if I get in, like I said, I have had my treat at Le Cellier, if not, I'll bee-bop on over to Chef's De France or the Italian restaurant, which are equally impressive, if not more so.:thedolls:

Kaps
05-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Thank you all for your input it all helps!! Thanks again

Daddy Mouse
05-31-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry about your luck. This is the first time we've tried to get Le Ceelier and we were able to get in for dinner. It is not our normal dinner time, but we'll just have to suffer.

pdrlkr
06-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Yes! :thumbsup:

Menai2WDW
06-01-2009, 07:08 AM
I think Le Cellier is above average but not fantastic. Whenever we have been we enjoyed the food, atmosphere and service (though my DW does think it is a little too dark).

I would say though that it is probably one of the best restuarants that uses only one credit on the dining plan.

leighe
06-01-2009, 03:05 PM
My favorite thing about Le Cellier is the cheese soup and the bread. I agree with PPs. It is very good but nothing to get upset about missing. We hadn't been able to get a reservation our last two trips but did manage to get in for lunch on our upcoming June trip.

joonyer
06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I would also have to cast my vote for LeCellier being way OVER-hyped. It's good, but it does not match up to the excessive hype about how great it is. There are several other WDW restaurants that are much better, hands down, and are not as hard to get ADR's for.
California Grill, Narcoosee's, Citrico's, Artist Point, Shula's (at Dolphin), well the list goes on, heck I even enjoy 'Ohana more than LeCellier (different experience, but i enjoy it more).

Nini5055
06-02-2009, 09:46 AM
1) It is a good eatery.
2) Not great, but good.
3) It does not rate its reputation.
4) If you get an ADR, good.
5) If you can't get an ADR, it is not major crime.

I agree! :thumbsup: After going on our trip in May, we found the atmosphere nice enough and the waitress we had was very nice. However, the food was jus so-so. :( It is one of those restaurants that left us with a lukewarm feeling. We will not rush to return as I feel there are better options.

I think on our next trip we will try the Rose & Crown. :)

AvonleaCF
06-02-2009, 01:37 PM
I was disappointed after all the hype.

I liked the dark atmosphere, and the breadsticks were great, but the meal was "eh."

The lettuce in my salad was salty, and then the risotto that came with my steak was also extremely salty. The steak was good though. And the chocolate "moose" dessert was divine.

I was glad to try it once but we'll be going to other Epcot restaurants before returning.

Kaps
06-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Finally got in although it was not the day I wanted. Thanks for all the input it was very helpful:party:

DANAM
06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
:congrats:

I hope you enjoy it. We always have. It is one of our favorites.