PDA

View Full Version : First Time Flyer..

Dulcee
05-29-2009, 06:50 PM
So DBF and I leave for Disney in 8 days. I've been super excited but my fear of flying is begining to creep up and put a damper on my excitment.:(

The last time I flew I was six months old and I'm less then thrilled about this flight. It's only two hours and I know people do it every single day but I can't seem to shake the nervousness.:sick:

Any tips or stories from frequent or recent first time flyers out there. Please help me calm down abou this so I can be excited for Disney.

Strmchsr
05-29-2009, 07:37 PM
You've said the important part - millions of people do it every day and they're just fine. I would recommend googling the Ask Captain Lim site. He's a pilot who has LOTS of great info for fearful flyers and first time flyers. Knowledge is great for easing fears. Also, research turbulence so when it hits you'll understand what's going on a little better. It's really not that big of a deal - just basically like a ship going over a wave - but if you're not used to the sensation it creates it can make you a little nervous.

Relax and have a great trip!!

Dixie Springs
05-29-2009, 08:00 PM
I've had some personal experience in this area. Prayer, and remembering where you are going are great helpers. Also, think of how awful the 21-hour drive would be! Statistically, the wings are much safer! Enjoy - you will overcome the fear.

NotaGeek
05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Ask your doctor for a little pill to help take the edge off. That's what a VERY good friend of mine does and it seems to work for her. :plane:

You know, fear of flying is SO common -- and it's understandable. I think it's good that acknowledge the fearm just keep moving forward in your mind. Where are you going? Why are you flying? Just keep focusing on your goal and not to what you are doing at that minute. Talk about it with your boyfriend and let him be strong for you ... it will rub off on you. You'll be fine! :mickey:

brianlw71
05-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Listen, I am a pilot and have flown thousands and thousands of hours around the world. If your nervous about what could go wrong with a flight, you are way safer flying than you would be driving. If your afraid you may get air sick, take something that will make you sleepy to help you relax. ie. sudafed or dramamine, which its only purpoe is to make you sleepy. Flying is a piece of cake just relax.

Kaps
05-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Use dramamine it works great:thumbsup:

MarkC
05-29-2009, 08:52 PM
The pilot is right-- you are much safer flying. Look at it this way-- if the pilot was worried he wouldn't be flying himself. And don't worry if you hit some mild bumps or hear noises like the flaps, etc. It's all normal. I fly several times a year for work and it's the only way to go. I wish you the best. Mark

dinahvixen
05-29-2009, 10:41 PM
I hate flying - didn't fly for the first time until I was over 30. I especially hate take off and have such an anxious feeling while taking off. I usually deep breathe through it and conciously try to relax. You get up into the air so quickly that a few minutes of that gets you up into the sky. Don't be alarmed when the plane rolls a little as it gains altitude, it's just the plane getting into the right direction - I hate that nonetheless, but I know it's coming, so I know it's normal. Once the cokes come down the aisle, I am fine. I generally try to avoid thinking about my imminent flight until I can't avoid it any longer, then I think about all the safe landings that have occured on that Orlando route and calculate my odds! Fairly good since there hasn't been a crash enroute to MCO. I was surprised at how easy it is to forget about flying while enjoying my time at Disney and the flight home is better than the flight there for me. I can't take anything b/c I fly with my kids, and I feel it's better to be alert and prepared if I need to be. I think about how the pilots and attendants do this as their normal day and they make it home as well. I don't know if those kind of 'thinking' tips will help, but it's one person's way of coping. Everytime I fly I swear it will be my last, but I am going again in Sept to WDW, and flying there...

JPL
05-29-2009, 11:16 PM
I am the opposite I love flying. I can't stand sitting in a car for long periods of time especially when I know I could be alot faster flying. I think the important thing to remember is that it is probably the safest form or travel. One tip I can give is keep yourself occupied read a book, bring a portable DVD player or iPod and before you know it you will be on the ground on your way to WDW.

Boojum
05-30-2009, 01:03 AM
I agree with the poster who advised visiting your doctor!

We vacationed in Jamaica a couple of summers ago. I don't fly often, and had NEVER flown over water before. The thought of water under me was freaking me out somewhat. I knew I wasn't going to panic, but I also wasn't looking forward to sweating and gritting my teeth for 3 hours.

My doctor gave me some low-dose Xanax pills. I took one before the flight down and one before the flight back. They didn't knock me out, but "chilled" me just enough that the flight wasn't too stressful.

Scar
05-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Just say no to drugs.

Do what I do... Drive. ;)

nicster
05-30-2009, 11:53 AM
I like to take my sound canceling headphones on our flight. They work great, even when not connected to the music. They really buffer that sound that the plane makes when taking off & landing. Mind control is really hard when you have a fear, but I have to make myself stop thinking the fear thoughts & just think the happy thoughts… is that where Peter Pan got that?:mickey:

last real pirate
05-30-2009, 01:23 PM
i will only fly. from where i live it is either a 14 hour drive or a 1 hour and 10 minute flight. i can fly and be eating a ice cream on main street before i could drive half way. your ears might get alittle stuffy during the flight. this is very normal and it is just the difference of height that makes them do that. i always bring chewing gum and the gum helps pop my ears to where that goes aways. i would stay away from the drugs but do thing it would be idea to pick up some dramamine for motion sickness just incase. i have always be a firm beliver in it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. if it helps, just close your eyes and pretend you are getting on to your favorite ride in disney.

dmosher
05-30-2009, 06:20 PM
I can tell you that you will be OK or that planes never really crash, etc, etc, but we both know that that does not help the fear at all. Trust me I know. In the end the only way to really get over a fear of flying is to suffer through it enough times that your body and your brain both agree that you will be OK. I know people have had a fear of flying and have been flying for years and it still bothers them. No drug, alcohol, meditation or prayer is going to get you past it, only time and experience will. My advice? Distractions are good but be prepared and try to take 1 long flight with very few stops (the takeoffs and landings are the worst in this case) and have a routine for before and after flight. Focusing on this helps you to calm yourself a little before and a lot after. Good luck and remember what is at the other end of the flight to WDW.
:pipes:
D

Melanie
05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Ask your doctor for a little pill to help take the edge off. That's what a VERY good friend of mine does and it seems to work for her. :plane:

My doctor gave me some low-dose Xanax pills. I took one before the flight down and one before the flight back. They didn't knock me out, but "chilled" me just enough that the flight wasn't too stressful.

:thumbsup:

Call me dramatic, but I hate flying. It's my one true fear in life. All logic, facts and knowledge mean nada to me when it actually comes time to get up in the air. I actually feel all the traveling I've done in the past three years (some necessary, some not) has made my fear worse. Can't wait to have my feet planted firmly on the ground for a looooong time!

That said, I haven't let my fear stop me from traveling to fun destinations. That's the purpose the Xanax serves. ;) I'm just kinda ridiculous to be around when we are actually in the air. My poor family, or whoever happens to be traveling with me! :blush:

To Dulcee, I just want you to know I sympathize and totally understand the feeling of flying putting a damper on your excitement. :( I'm sorry this is happening to you. But hopefully, since you haven't flown in so long, or even remember, you will find you love it and then no problems. Actually, the website Chris suggested is a great one for explaining turbulence.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :plane:

Dulcee
05-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks so much for all your comments, stories and suggestions!

At this time next week I'll be walking down mainstreet USA :cloud9: so I'm trying my best to keep that in mind.

Like I said before this will be my first time flying that I can remember at least so I'm going to try to avoid drugs on the flight out and hope my fear is more of the unknown then flying in general. (However I did talk to my doctor and got some low dose drugs just in case for the flight home :blush:).

Thanks everyone, I'll let you all know how it goes! :thumbsup:

Jillirose
05-31-2009, 11:57 AM
I do not like to fly and have to admit that I have passed on opportunities due to the fear. However, I seem to make it to Disney every other year, so it must be motivating!!

Some things I do that may help:
1. Go to the doctor! I don't always use it (xanax or clonopin), but it helps to have it if needed. Take a half tab prior to flying, so you know how it feels. Decide the morning of if it will help you to take the 'edge' off.
2. Practice deep breathing - you can regulate your heart rate and calm yourself.
3. Dowload relaxing music to put on your ipod or CD player to listen to - time the mix to be a little over your time in the air. That way, when you take off, you can start it and know that when it ends, you will be safely at Disney.:thumbsup:
4. Get some real mindless reading material (People magazine, etc.)! I once read EVERY ADD in the Skymall catalog that they have. By focusing on light stuff, it get's your mind off of irrational thoughts.
5. You'll want to return again by plane, so visit a good cognitive therapist. You can overcome a lot of fears by identifying your faulty thinking and working on replacing, reframing your thoughts.
6. Just remember half the plane is feeling like you. Imagine they are like the Verizon Network (ever see the commercials?!) kind of there behind you, all of us, cheering you on - saying "You can do this!":plane:

Dulcee
06-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi all, I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who responded to my original post here. I just got back from my 8 days in Disney (I'll work on dining reviews and a trip report soon) and wanted to let you all know I survived my first flight.

Aside from a minor incident :sick::sick::blush: when we first showed up I did ok and the flight home went fine. I can't tell you all how much I appreciated the stories, websites and suggestions. Thanks all!