PDA

View Full Version : CBR Review

Spaceship Tigger
05-29-2009, 12:51 PM
I thought I would post a review of our visit to the Caribbean Beach Resort, May 15-22.

In the past we have always stayed at the deluxes, but I must say that we were very surprised by how much we enjoyed the CBR. I requested and got building 45 in Jamaica and found it to be a very pleasant walk across the bridge and over the island to Old Port Royale. The room was very nice and the size was comparable to the WL and AKL rooms, only with double beds. The room was a very short walk to where we always parked our van. Since we always came and went a couple of times a day, this was very convenient. The only thing I really missed over the deluxes was the daily newspaper delivery and the bed size.

OPR met our needs quite well. The food court and grab n' go areas had plenty to offer. We ate there twice for lunch and once for breakfast. The only thing that I thought was missing was a freezer for ice cream bars or ice cream sandwiches. The shops were very nice as well. We didn't visit Shutters since we have our own vehicle and are able to easily visit other resort restaurants.

The pool area was great. I would personally rank the CBR main pool on par with the WL, AKL, and Poly pools, and I would rank the children's 'pirate ship' area far better than the children's areas at those deluxes. The many beaches were also nice, but the playground sets were just okay.

Overall we thought that the CBR was great and will stay there again (in fact, we are planning on staying two nights there before DW and I take a cruise next year). The short distance from the parking lot to the room and the nice walk to OPR are actually things that we thought were better at CBR than the deluxe resorts.

Disneyfirsttimer
05-29-2009, 01:02 PM
We love it there too! Can't wait to get back!

Wrigley
05-29-2009, 01:13 PM
We love CBR too!:mickey: I can't wait to get back in October!:thumbsup:

TysMomTink
05-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the review! We're staying at CBR in September and I can't wait. :)

Kerry823
05-29-2009, 02:29 PM
CBR is our family favorite. We also have stayed in Jamaica 45 and loved the walk over the bridge every morning and evening. Can't wait to go back!

RedSoxFan
05-29-2009, 04:28 PM
We enjoyed CBR too back in October.:mickey:

Jimenyfan
05-29-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm happy to hear such a good review of CBR we are checking in next friday and can't wait.

GINNY69
05-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the great review. We are staying there in August for the first time and we are really excited.. :joy::yay:

ljv1975
05-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the review! We are staying at CBR in a pirate room for the first part of our trip this September. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!! I can't wait to get there!

Dixie Springs
05-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the review. The CBR is one of our fav's, but we haven't stayed since they were nearing completion of the pool overhaul. Glad to here it's still nice.

Dsnygirl
05-30-2009, 02:47 AM
:mickey: Glad to hear all the kudos for CBR... it's our favorite! We stayed there in December and are headed back in October for the first part of our stay... we've stayed in Barbados and Aruba, and are hoping for Jamaica this next stay.

We just love the ambience, the buildings, the lake and Caribbean Cay... the walk over to OPR & the shops over there... it's come to feel like "home" for us at Disney, and I'm glad to see others love it as much as we do! :cloud9:

Night Tracker
05-30-2009, 05:02 AM
CBR is our favorite! Yea building 45! We once stayed there too!
I swear there was a small freezer compartment at the top of the fridge though. We never have anything that needs freezing so I can't remember.
Anyway, glad you enjoyed your stay. It seems that people have not been complaining about CBR since the rooms were refurbished, except for the Nemo theming, whats with that? An Australian theme to a Caribbean resort :confused:.

We haven't stayed at any deluxe resorts, we've visited them but can't justify the extra cost for a place we just come back to sleep in. We spend all day in the parks and think of our resort as a just a place to shower and sleep.
We go to value resorts for just this reason, but on special occasions we will splurge and go to CBR. I should mention it doesn't take much to warrant a special occasion (for me anyway.)

I think we have stayed in all of the areas, in fact one visit they moved us three times. This was the only visit where we had anything we would consider bad.
Long story from CBR about 10 years ago, they had to move us for some unexplained reason after our first night. They asked us to pack and leave our bags by the door and they would move them for us while we were at the park. When we came back that night from PI at 2AM, we went to our new room to sleep. The people next door were arguing, loud. We called and complained. Within two minutes security was knocking on their door and had a talk with them. A short time after security left we got a call asking if we wanted to change rooms, they were quiet now so I just said forget it, we'll call back if they start up again. They told us they could move us to a preferred room in the morning, so I said OK. It was the kind of thing that could happen anywhere but I think they handled it very well.

Spaceship Tigger
05-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I swear there was a small freezer compartment at the top of the fridge though. We never have anything that needs freezing so I can't remember.

I was actually talking about freezers in the Grab n' Go place that I've seen in other resorts where they keep the ice cream bars and such. So I couldn't get a Mickey Bar at the CBR. :(

I can't remember if the in-room fridge had a freezer section either - we only used the fridge part.

PrettyMinnie
05-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the review. I am interested in staying at CBR and your insight is very helpful!

Night Tracker
05-30-2009, 10:28 AM
I was actually talking about freezers in the Grab n' Go place that I've seen in other resorts where they keep the ice cream bars and such. So I couldn't get a Mickey Bar at the CBR. :(

I can't remember if the in-room fridge had a freezer section either - we only used the fridge part.

Oh, that freezer, It was there in OPR last time I was there (last September.) If I remember correctly it was at the end of the cash register, sticking out into the walkway at the grab n' go. DW says it's on wheels, so if you get there too early or late, it may have been put away.

nicster
05-30-2009, 11:14 AM
I wanted to stay at CBR in Aug 2004, but DH wanted CS, so I conceded. Good thing too, when hurricane Charlie came thru the CBR people were evacuated to CS, because CBR is on lower ground and they were worried about flooding. The CS is beautiful, and the room was what you expect from Disney moderates. However, the next time we could afford a moderate resort we went to CBR, and are in LOVE with it! We got a corner room, which made it feel much bigger (not a huge deal, but a nice effect). The pool area is very nicely themed; we go to the actual Caribbean every winter so we enjoy the Disney twist on it. I am not so concerned with being close to OPR as we rarely go there. Our main thing is the walk to the shuttle stop. We had a very pleasant, short walk from building 46 to our stop, and with so many stops at the resort there doesn’t seem to be any that are a long walk away. The other nice thing, depending on how early you go to bed, is that we could see both Illuminations & Fantasmic above the buildings from the balcony of our room! We are going back in September!:mickey: