PDA

View Full Version : OKW or SSR?

VWL Mom
05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
We are booked in August for VWL but may have to change our dates. Called this morning and OKW and SSR are the only options. To those of you that have stayed in one or both, can you share your preference. I've read transportation at both is bad, is one worse than the other?

dlpmikki
05-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Transportation is better at OKW I think. OKW studios have two beds, SSR has one bed and one sleeper sofa. OKW 1 bedrooms are massive. Not sure about room locations at SSR but coul be worth asking for near Hospitality House at OKW as this gives more bus stop options (close to first and last stops).

If you are staying in a 1 bed or bigger then I would go for OKW. If there are just 2 of you in a studio then the bed/settee option at SSR may be better. SSR is close to Downtown Disney ie walkable if that is an attraction for you.

VWL Mom
05-29-2009, 12:58 PM
We will be staying in a 2bdrm. This trip will just be myself and the 2 boys and a friend of DS17. This is more an R&R trip than anything else so my thought is hang around the pool during the day and head to the parks around 3P or so.

pox24
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
OKW by a nose over SSR.:thumbsup:

g8rgirl29
05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
I have only stayed at OKW. I like it there because of the size of the rooms, we don't feel like we are banging into each other all the time. Also after speaking with a few people who stayed at SSR and OKW they said that you couldn't navigate around the livingroom with the sleeper open at SSR where at OKW it is no problem with the sleeper left open. Also it looks like at SSR you get a stackable washer and dryer as opposed to a full size at OKW. We go in September and the only bus we had trouble with was leaving Blizzard Beach we waited for close to an hour for the bus to come. The busses came in a timely manner about every 20 min. Depending on where your room is you may have to ride through the resort to come and go. We have always figured out a way to shorten it though, by getting on and off at different stops. Both years that we have used ME, OKW was the first stop on arrival but we had to stop at SSR after pick up on departure. Neither trip is bad at all. OKW is a very laid back resort and very spread out.

Aero
05-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Transportation is better at OKW I think.

Funny, I'd say transportation is better at SSR. We stayed up near the Hospitality House last year, and we always seemed to get to our bus stop just after the bus we wanted had gone by. We didn't know it at the time, but some 20 minutes later (it's a big resort with quite a few stops and many tight maneuvers for the busses) we'd see it come back through headed the other way, and not stopping for us. We knew it'd be quite a wait for the next one. That was frustrating. If we were midway through the resort, we probably wouldn't have felt that effect as much.

Still, OKW is very nice. Olivia's has great food. We haven't been back to SSR to try the Turf Club, yet. I preferred the pool at SSR.

- Aero

luvDaMouse
05-29-2009, 07:28 PM
I have never stayed at OKW so I cant give any advice on that resort, but we just got back from a stay at SSR in a 1bdr. We had a 3rd floor room in the Grandstand. (room 8345) its the second building from the carriage house. Loved the location, right in between the pool and the bus stop. A short walk to the carriage house for Artist Palette for food and snacks or take any park bus to the springs stop.We were the 1st bus stop picked up and the first stop dropped off. It was nice getting on an empty bus and if you had to stand going home you are the first one off! Plus you are a short bus/boat/walk to DTD! Loved SSR