PDA

View Full Version : Buying Disa Visa Rewards

Disney_Barbie
05-29-2009, 09:50 AM
NOTE : I am not looking to solicate or purchase rewards from anyone. This is just a post discussing the process.

I'm curious about people on craigslist or ebay selling off their rewards they get from their disney visa. We have a disney visa and intend to redeem our rewards for our upcoming trip, but haven't yet redeemed any yet, so are thus unfamilar with the process.

My first question is : is this legal & ok to do? I guess it's basically like a give card, and to the best of my knowlege it's A-ok to buy and sell gift cards. But since these are rewards to they specifally say "non-transferable" or anything like that???

Second, from what I think I've seen they have a name printed on them (almost like a credit card does) would it / could it be an issue since obviously that is not my name.

Ideally, I'm thinking I was considering purchasing a reward from a local person selling theirs on craigslist. I would then take this reward and immediatly apon arrival at home, use it to purchase our Tickets & keep them at will-call until our trip. Would this be in an issue that the name to pick up the will call (my name) would be different than the name on the rewards card (the peson whom I purchased it from) Also, what if I redeemed some of our own Disney Visa Rewards and thus had 2 differnt rewards cards (with thus 2 different names printed on them) would it be OK to submit payment with 2 rewards cards ?

Again, I do'nt want to do anything wrong or "cheat the system" but if it is Kosher to do this, we could save some serious $. Thanks!

BMan62
05-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I would think that if someone had unused Rewards 'Points' on their Rewards Card that they knew they would not be able to use before the expiration date on the Rewards Card, it would be OK to 'sell' them, as long as they are not charging more than face value.

The card is basically a debit card that can be used by anyone. The name on the card in only to whom it was issued. The number does not correlate with the actual credit card in any way.

Now, this brings up a very touchy subject...Do you actually KNOW that there are points on this card? Personally, unless I actually knew the person that this card is coming from, I would stay well away from it.

As far as using this card to purchase tickets, lodging, etc., I believe that only thing they are worried about is that the card number is valid.

Disney_Barbie
05-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Now, this brings up a very touchy subject...Do you actually KNOW that there are points on this card? Personally, unless I actually knew the person that this card is coming from, I would stay well away from it.

No, I guess my plan of attack was to meet up with the craigstlist seller (she lives just like 2 towns over from me). Before making the exchange I intended to call & check the balance on the card. If all is well I'm thinking I'll ask her to sign something I had previously drawn up (some form of reciept saying that she signing over the rewards dollars to me). And then I intend to purchase our tickets the MOMENT we get home. OR I supose I could even request that we meet at my home to make the exchange & could process the transaction of using the card to purchase the tickets while she waits.

KylesMom
05-29-2009, 10:30 AM
According to the fine print of the Chase Disney Visa card, Dream Reward Dollars cannot be sold:

5. The Disney Dream Reward Dollars accrued and the Program Rewards Balance posted to your Disney’s Visa Card monthly billing statement and Disney Rewards Cards issued thereunder are not the property of the Cardmember, and cannot be bought, sold, encumbered, transferred or extended in any manner whatsoever

Missy_Mouses_Dad
05-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks, KylesMom. I work at a bank in the Midwest and we don't allow our rewards points to be sold either. It's pretty much standard operating procedures..

Disney_Barbie
05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
According to the fine print of the Chase Disney Visa card, Dream Reward Dollars cannot be sold:

Well that clears that up. Thanks!

KylesMom
05-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Any time, Disney_Barbie. I'd hate for you to get involved with something that Chase could negate the card for.

I also found it interesting that rewards earned cannot be transferred to anyone else, even upon the cardholder's death. Now that's some stringent rules!

Chic-a-pin
05-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Just one last entry on this, unless the Rewards Card has changed since last year, I'm looking right at my card that expires this December there is no name on the Rewards Cards, just the number. I've always thought that strange since you need to sign the back of the card :confused:

MickeyandTink
05-29-2009, 05:30 PM
While I would be leery of buying a card from a person I did not know, a co-worker did give me her rewards card to use on our trip a couple of years ago. It was going to expire in a couple of months. She was unable to use it before the expiration date and didn't want it to just go to waste. We were able to use it at the parks without any problem.

brownie
06-01-2009, 11:46 AM
I would avoid it, you have no way of knowing how many dollars are on the card, aside from the fact it's against the rules. Since there are a multitude of ways to use those reward dollars, why would someone sell them at a discount?

AmandaChan
06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
how much would people sell rewards points for anyways? I mean it's basically like actual money, isn't it? Say you have $50 in reward points, that equals $50 to be spent in a park. Do they try to sell them to you for half the price or something? merely curious :confused:

Disney_Barbie
06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
how much would people sell rewards points for anyways? I mean it's basically like actual money, isn't it? Say you have $50 in reward points, that equals $50 to be spent in a park. Do they try to sell them to you for half the price or something? merely curious :confused:

I guess just because they expire. Which granted, I think you can use them @ the disney store and stuff, but still. Like IE - the card I was looking at was selling for almost half of the value of it, but it expired VERY soon (my trip is soon, so it would work for me, but the seller didn't plan on going anytime soon and really it was like a $500 card that's a lot of cash to blow @ the disney store unless your gonna buy tickets or something) Anyway, I guess just soley for the exp reasoning people often sell them, on ebay it's generally only a few dollars of a discount, but occationally people will craigslist them for literally like half the price.
But, either way I'm gonna stear clear. Don't want to cheat disney :mickey: Just answering your question of why people might possibly sell them.

egospotter
06-04-2009, 05:19 PM
$500!! :eyes:

From what I figure, to have accumulated that many reward dollars they had to have charged $50,000 to their credit card. I'm luck to get the required $10 in rewards every other year to add to our card.

I think though, that I would have little trouble finding stuff at the Disney Store that I wanted with $500 in my pocket, rather than sell it for half. But maybe they need the cash to pay their credit card bill.

DigitalDaredevil
06-16-2009, 02:58 AM
I would be very hesitant to buy a card from someone I did not know. People are quick to pull a scam today, and they could be using the "aura" of Disney to make you think that they are a "good" person. I am not saying that this person is being dishonest but I would be very cautious.
Losing any money on your trip is bound to leave a sour taste during your whole trip.
That person who has the card for 500 dollars can go to the Disney Store and buy park tickets for you while you are present so you can verify the purchase if you feel so inclined to go through with the deal.

TheRustyScupper
06-16-2009, 06:48 AM

1) Bummer.
2) I have eight points that expire in August.
3) Wanted to sell them.
4) Oh, well.

BMan62
06-16-2009, 09:28 AM
1) Bummer.
2) I have eight points that expire in August.
3) Wanted to sell them.
4) Oh, well.

Guess you'll just have to use them on DisneyShopping.com!!! :thumbsup:

BMan62
06-16-2009, 09:33 AM
I guess just because they expire. Which granted, I think you can use them @ the disney store and stuff, but still. Like IE - the card I was looking at was selling for almost half of the value of it, but it expired VERY soon (my trip is soon, so it would work for me, but the seller didn't plan on going anytime soon and really it was like a $500 card that's a lot of cash to blow @ the disney store unless your gonna buy tickets or something) Anyway, I guess just soley for the exp reasoning people often sell them, on ebay it's generally only a few dollars of a discount, but occationally people will craigslist them for literally like half the price.
But, either way I'm gonna stear clear. Don't want to cheat disney :mickey: Just answering your question of why people might possibly sell them.

Stupid question #1: Why, in the name of common sense, would anyone put $500 on their Disney Rewards Card at one time? Put $50 to $100, OK - but $500 or more? They must have been expecting to spend a ton of money on souvenirs!!!!

We may have $100 by the time we go in September (2 years worth) and I may just have the credits put on our KTTW card/room account to make sure they get used up.

MarkC
06-16-2009, 12:58 PM
We put $500 on at a time to pay for the maintanence fees on our Disney timeshare. This August we will put $300 on to help pay for our food costs since we already have park tickets. That being said, we put absolutely everything on our card to help build up points. 8 different monthly payments (i.e. church, directv, phone, etc) are all on the card. So putting $500 on there is probably more common than you think. Mark

chucklesheartsdisney
06-25-2009, 03:40 PM

From what I figure, to have accumulated that many reward dollars they had to have charged $50,000 to their credit card. I'm luck to get the required $10 in rewards every other year to add to our card.

I completely agree - it took me 2 years to get 20 points, plus with a few extra - I'm happy I'll have 10 for september. Oh well, there's 2 keychains or something for people!!

DisneyAndRedSox
06-26-2009, 08:33 AM

I had ear surgery in 2007, I put all co-pays and deductible payments on my Disney Visa! DH begged me to buy a new TV a few years ago... only under one condition, it goes on my Disney Visa. I get a coffee at Dunkin, it goes on the Disney Visa. It adds up as long as you pay it off every month! Tip, if you don't use it for a few months then they send you a bonus in the mail (i.e. 5x rewards on food and gas).

Brownie54
06-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I had ear surgery in 2007, I put all co-pays and deductible payments on my Disney Visa! DH begged me to buy a new TV a few years ago... only under one condition, it goes on my Disney Visa. I get a coffee at Dunkin, it goes on the Disney Visa. It adds up as long as you pay it off every month! Tip, if you don't use it for a few months then they send you a bonus in the mail (i.e. 5x rewards on food and gas).

We use our card every month, but just got the 5x offer in the mail. I think that because we have been paying off the card each month they want us to spend more in hopes that we will carry a balance.