PDA

View Full Version : Our Meal Choices - Thoughts?

ljv1975
05-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Our 90 day mark for the first part of our vacation is coming up. I'm hoping to get some feedback on our wish list for ADRs. It will be me, DH, DD and DS. We will be at WDW for 17 days/16 nights in September on the deluxe dining plan. Our first 10 nights are at the CBR and the last 6 are at BC.

The trip is for our daughter's 4th birthday. Since the kids are younger we are doing a lot of buffet and family style places. My husband is a chef and likes to eat at some nicer places too, so we have a few of those thrown in for him. Please let me know what you think!

Breakfast
Crystal Palace
Hollywood & Vine
1900 Park Fare
Chef Mickeys
Tusker House
CRT
Cape May Cafe
Akershus
Ohana

Lunch
Tusker House
Sci Fi
Grand Floridian Cafe
Beaches & Cream
The Plaza

Dinner
Ohana
Liberty Tree Tavern
Coral Reef
Brown Derby
Jiko
Le Cellier
Yak & Yeti
1900 Park Fare
Teppan Edo
Chefs de France
Garden Grill
San Angel Inn
Mickey's Backyard BBQ

I am unsure about both Coral Reef and San Angel Inn. I thought the kids would like the atmosphere of both of these places, but I haven't heard good things about the food and service - especially at Coral Reef. I'm thinking of dropping one or both of these.

Thanks in advance for any input!! :mickey:

TheVBs
05-28-2009, 04:59 PM
It looks like you have some great choices! I just wanted to say that our girls had an absolute blast at Mickey's Backyard BBQ on our last trip. :mickey:

denygold
05-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Well, the thing about the San Angel Inn is that the quality of the food and service are not the greatest. The array of choices (especially for kids) is not great either. Having said all that- I sure wish I was having lunch there tomorrow !
The theming is fantastic.
You have a few choices on your list that will definitely delight the grownups more than the children (Jiko, Chefs De France, Brown Derby) but it's nice to give all ages meals to look forward to. You have almost all of our favorites on here- Boma & 50s Prime Time excepted.
What a list, I am so envious !

KatMark
05-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Our 90 day mark for the first part of our vacation is coming up. I'm hoping to get some feedback on our wish list for ADRs. It will be me, DH, DD and DS. We will be at WDW for 17 days/16 nights in September on the deluxe dining plan. Our first 10 nights are at the CBR and the last 6 are at BC.

The trip is for our daughter's 4th birthday. Since the kids are younger we are doing a lot of buffet and family style places. My husband is a chef and likes to eat at some nicer places too, so we have a few of those thrown in for him. Please let me know what you think!

Breakfast
Crystal PalaceLove
Hollywood & Vinecould not pay us to eat here--did dinner twice--yuk; have never done breakfast
1900 Park Fareare trying next visit
Chef Mickeysalways fun
Tusker Housenever done
CRTnever done--we have boys--wouldn't be caught dead in a castle eating with princesses
Cape May Cafe our second favorite (after CP)
Akershusdid not like lunch, would like to try breakfast
Ohanahaven't done since they switched to that awful Stitch and went to family style and took away Minnie and friends

Lunch
Tusker Housenever done
Sci Fialways enjoyed
Grand Floridian Cafenever done
Beaches & Creamnever done
The Plazaour last meal of every trip before we head to airport--a nice change of pace from all the heavy meals we eat on the dining plan all week

Dinner
Ohananever done
Liberty Tree Taverndid lunch...really enjoyed, but never done dinner
Coral Reefdid many, many years ago--it was okay
Brown Derbynot impressed with the food; hated the grapefruit cake
Jikonever done
Le Cellierour absolute favorite
Yak & Yetisecond favorite meal of the trip last year--we can't wait to go back
1900 Park Farenever done
Teppan Edonever done
Chefs de Francedon't like fancy/saucy foods
Garden Grillour least favorite character meal
San Angel InnI don't eat mexican food
Mickey's Backyard BBQhave never done

I am unsure about both Coral Reef and San Angel Inn. I thought the kids would like the atmosphere of both of these places, but I haven't heard good things about the food and service - especially at Coral Reef. I'm thinking of dropping one or both of these.

Thanks in advance for any input!! :mickey:

I gave our comments in red. Hope it helps a little. But as I usually say, everyone should try what interests them once based on their interest and not what others think

Hull-onian
05-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Wow that is quite the trip. You won't be bored, that's for sure.

Breakfast
Crystal Palace Good for kids. For me, okay.
Hollywood & Vine Prime Time 50's Cafe better
1900 Park Fare Good for kids.
Chef Mickeys Good for everyone.
Tusker House Good for everyone
CRT A Nice time to be had by all.
Cape May Cafe Excellent choice.
Akershus Good for kids
Ohana Good for kids

Lunch
Tusker House Excellent
Sci Fi A lot of fun
Grand Floridian Cafe Excellent
Beaches & Cream Don't know
The Plaza All right

Dinner
Ohana Good for kids
Liberty Tree Tavern Um, Columbia harbor hs.
Coral Reef We loved it, it was excellent
Brown Derby Never been, try it
Jiko Better than Boma
Le Cellier Uh, not so much
Yak & Yeti Did counter service it was excellent
1900 Park Fare Good for kids
Teppan Edo Nice Choice
Chefs de France Nice Choice
Garden Grill Um, not so much
San Angel Inn We like the Cantina better
Mickey's Backyard BBQ Go for it :tasty:

stitchaholic
05-28-2009, 07:08 PM
i love chef mickeys and tusker for breakfast,i also love the best friends breakfast at ohana's,the character interaction is great,so is the coffee and sweet breads.
i did not love the ohana supper,you must be a meat lover and very hungry to eat there,next time i will try kona instead.
i would add a lunch at wolfgang puck express in downtown disney,even my kids loved the food there,i had to take a second trip to DD at the end of our trip for another great meal.
i didn't love the CP supper last time.
I do like the garden grill,the food is fresh and the rotating restaurant is cool.
have a great trip

chefmickey3
05-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Wow! Sounds like you will have an awesome trip! ( I added comments about each we have done in (). You may want to consider the Hoop de Doo Revue. It takes two TS but that frees up another day to not need a TS (think pizza delivery in the room!) We love those "down" days... My DS laughed soooo hard!

Breakfast
Crystal Palace (One of our kids favorites!)
Hollywood & Vine (Did not like dinner here, never tried breakfast)
1900 Park Fare
Chef Mickeys (One of our favorites!)
Tusker House (Good)
CRT (Have not done BF, but the atmosphere is cool)
Cape May Cafe
Akershus
Ohana (Trying BF for the first time this year!)

Lunch
Tusker House
Sci Fi (Kids enjoyed, good lunch choice)
Grand Floridian Cafe
Beaches & Cream
The Plaza

Dinner
Ohana (We all love this one!)
Liberty Tree Tavern (better when the characters were here)
Coral Reef (We enjoy it)
Brown Derby
Jiko
Le Cellier (Not impressed in 2002)
Yak & Yeti
1900 Park Fare
Teppan Edo
Chefs de France
Garden Grill (Kids really liked this one; great character interaction)
San Angel Inn (Used to be one of our favorites, but kids don't care for the food...)
Mickey's Backyard BBQ

DizneyRox
05-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Bail on Hollywood and Vine and CRT for breakfast. CRT is much better at Dinner.

I would also pass on Sci-Fi and swap that one over to 50's Prime Time.

I think you're on the right track with San Angel and Coral Reef as well. You couldn't drag me into those places.

DisneyWFan
05-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Your choices look great. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. We LOVED the breakfast at CRT especially the cheese danish french toast(not sure what they actually call it) :mickey:

Nicki'sMom
05-29-2009, 08:45 AM
I think I only see one to warn you about and that is Hollywood and Vine. Food very bland during our lunch buffet. We went for the characters so that may rule out the food if your kids like JoJo and little Einsteins. Just be prepared and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised. We did the castle for lunch. Very good. Cape May is GREAT. I say keep Sci Fi. I bet it is fun and for lunch it is no big deal. You have plenty of other meals to enjoy on the deluxe plan. Have a good trip!

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Breakfast
Crystal Palace - one we never miss
1900 Park Fare - best breakfast buffet!
CRT - great way to see the princesses

Lunch
Sci Fi - least favorite restaurant in all of WDW. Good shakes though.

Dinner
Ohana - good food
Liberty Tree Tavern - not worth it without characters
Coral Reef - good food. great lobster bisque.
Le Cellier - a new favorite. one of my favorite restaurants in the world.
Yak & Yeti - large portions. good food.
Chefs de France - good food. nice atmosphere.
San Angel Inn - so so food but wonderful atmosphere.

You're only missing 2 that I really enjoy. Biergarten - good food, great atmosphere and entertainment.
Tutto Italia - surprisingly good food. tried it on our last trip and will be going back again.

Sounds like you've got a lot of really good restaurants. Have fun!