PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP vs Hopper

Kaptain Hook
05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
We are booked for Oct. with base tickets. First time traveling with DS (3 yrs) and DS (1yr). Originally thought we would not need hoppers but now we think we might. With naps and pool time we might decide to go to a different park in the evenings plus we can be more flexible with ADR's. We would also like to go to MNSSHP but can only afford to do one or the other. Which would you choose and why? Thanks for your responses. Intercot is the best!:mickey:

joonyer
05-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I would choose MNSSHP ticket if I had to pick only one. You can plan around enough to fill your day without hoppers (although we always use them) and still get to all the parks during your trip. But you can't get in the Halloween party with a ticket so I'd go that route. You won't regret it; MNSSHP is GREAT!

Disney Doll
05-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I'd also choose MNSSHP. It's a unique event that you only get to experience with the ticket. However, with young kids you'll probably call it an early night so you won't get to experience everything the party has to offer, but it's still worth it IMO. We did MNSSHP with our 1 yr old last time and even though we didn't stay late we had a blast.

caryrae
05-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I would choose MNSSHP too. It is really fun and with the small kids you have it will be fun to dress them up and go around to all the candy booths.

Dsnygirl
05-28-2009, 01:57 PM
:mpumpkin: I, too, would choose MNSSHP over a hopper. It is the best party Disney does, and even with your kid's ages, it is a not to be missed. We went 2 years ago and are going again this year... it is just so much fun, and the atmosphere is different than during the day or other parties. :mpumpkin:

As far as a hopper, don't forget that on the day of the party, your MNSSHP ticket gets you into MK at 4pm, so you can use the early part of the day for the pool/naps/DTD... and I don't know how long your trip is for, but I bet if you split your days up with some non-park activities before or after naps and some pool time, you'll probably find you won't need a hopper, esp. if your little ones go to bed on the earlier side.

I noticed you said you wanted more flexibility with your ADR's as a reason for a hopper... here, I will just offer a word of advice based on past experience. Last December, we park hopped quite a bit for some unique ADR's. We had an 8-day trip, and figured we had the time to jump around a bit. What we found, though, was that given Disney transit time, we lost quite a bit of time leaving parks to go somewhere else to eat and then to a third spot - a different park, etc. - and that we'd wished we'd stayed put and eaten at the park restuarants, or the resort restaurants close to whatever park we were at and just returned to that park afterwards. We felt we spent a lot of our time "travelling", which is part of the reason we are trying to not hop this fall.

(Now, all that being said, my DH and I have always been "hopper" people, and are trying to not use one for the first time. So, my advice on this whole thing is speculative, based on what we're thinking it'll be like next time. :blush:)

SFD998
05-28-2009, 02:22 PM
When my wife and I first started going we always bought hoppers. After a while we found that we weren't hopping and only wasting money. We started doing one park per day to save money and with a little planning it can definitely work. Last year we took the plunge to AP's which automatically include hopping. We were doing what a PP said and hopped around to different locations for our ADR's. Although nice it can take up alot of time even with a car.

This OCT will be our first time at MNSSHP (been to MVMCP). Our two boys will be 7 and 4 at the time of the trip and our plan is to spend most of that afternoon resting and not having to get up early the next morning in order to make the most of MNSSHP.

If you sit down and plan your trip out you will probably find that you can go to the parks and ADR's you want without hopping and therefore be able to go to MNSSHP. Based on the other posts it definitely sounds like it is something you don't want to miss. We are hoping so too.

gerald72
05-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Go with MNNSHP.

I went in September 07. I didn't have hoppers or go to MNNSHP. Now, two years later, I don't regret not getting the hoppers, but I think of all the missed memories by not going to MNSSHP.

I figure the hoppers are always the first thing I can trim off the cost when trying to make the trip cheaper. I have had them already, but I don't feel they are a necessity.

Aggie97
05-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Last December, we park hopped quite a bit for some unique ADR's. We had an 8-day trip, and figured we had the time to jump around a bit. What we found, though, was that given Disney transit time, we lost quite a bit of time leaving parks to go somewhere else to eat and then to a third spot - a different park, etc. - and that we'd wished we'd stayed put and eaten at the park restuarants, or the resort restaurants close to whatever park we were at and just returned to that park afterwards. We felt we spent a lot of our time "travelling", which is part of the reason we are trying to not hop this fall.

This has been our experience as well -- it just takes a lot of time out of the day to travel between parks or to and from resort restaurants. In October, our excursion from DHS to Beaches & Cream and back took almost three hours (in the middle of the afternoon). We generally have APs, but we rarely use our park hopping privileges.

I definitely would pick MNSSHP tickets. I think it's WDW's best "party" experience and an absolute blast! :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't worry about not have park hopping tickets at all!

We always get the hopper, but on our last trip, we only "hopped" once in an 8-day trip. I don't think we'll bother getting them for the next trip.

Kaptain Hook
05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the great advice! Looks like we're going to MNSSHP!:thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
05-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Great decision! Your family should love MNNSHP - it is a blast and not to be missed. Your children are young so too much hopping might be much for your family. Just plan your days, travel time and ADRs well and you will be fine without the hopper option. :mickey: