PDA

View Full Version : Reviews from 5/10 to 5/12

estein80
05-27-2009, 03:43 PM
DH, dd (10 months) and I had a great trip and really enjoyed the food this past trip and I thought I would share our thoughts.

5/10 Lunch - We got MK just in time for lunch and went to Columbia Harbor House. I thought this was really great CS. I got a tuna sandwich and was happy to see that it wasn't chunk light, and it was on whole grain bread, a really nice healthy option. DH got chicken fingers (to share w/ dd), he said they were okay. We also split the vegetarian chili. I thought this was really good. And for me (I don't eat any meat, pork, poultry or shellfish) it was a great option! I know we will head back again.

5/10 Dinner - We went to Portobellos, a standard stop for us, as we love their bread and garlic. Imagine our surprise when we sit down at the table and get totally different bread and no garlic. When we asked our server, he explained that it is now on their Antipasti menu, and that they were losing too much money when people didn't eat it. So we ordered the garlic and also the Mozzarella Antipasti. It was pretty good. DH ordered the filet, he was happy. I normally order two appetizers, but because we were there on Mothers' Day they were taking 1/2 off Mom's entree. Which meant I was ordering an entree, I tried the snapper, which was okay. I'm not the biggest snapper fan, and will definitely go back to my appetizers next time.

5/11 Dinner - Jiko!!! DH and I cannot say enough about this dinner. The only problem we had was that we underestimated how long it would take to get there and we gave it an hour from POR to DTD to AKL. Our server was very helpful because DH wanted an African beer. He did a great job explaining them and helping DH choose which one he would like best. We started with Chef's Specialty Flat Bread, this was excellent, even DD. I also started with the Curried Cauliflower Soup, which was out of this world. I could have had two orders of this and been plenty happy. DH almost ordered his own bowl, and even DD enjoyed some (I had to stop feeding it to her so I could have some). For dinner I had the Curried Samosas (I got to do my appetizers). They were great, they had a little kick, so DD didn't have any, but I enjoyed them quite a bit. DH had the lamb loin, which he was a little reluctant to share with DD. We were both very happy and just thinking about that dinner makes my mouth water.

5/12 Lunch - We were wandering WS and trying to find someplace to sit down and eat without ADR's. We ended up at Chefs de France. DH started with the Salade maison. It was a nice start. I had the Gratin de macaroni, which was pretty good macaroni and cheese, gruyere made for a nice difference. DH ordered the asagnes de legumes du soleil a l'huile d'olive au thym, which he was quite happy with. DD enjoyed bits and pieces of everything, but her favorite part of lunch was when Remi came to our table. She was very upset when he left to go to another table.

5/13 Dinner - We didn't have this one preplanned. The only thing we figured out was that DH wanted to go to one of the hotels on the monorail. We were interested in checking out those hotels and DH had never seen the Grand Floridian. When we spoke w/ concierge DH asked for a reservation at the Contemporary, when we were asked which one, I said how about The Wave? I'm a big fan of organic and sustainable cooking and goods. We started off with salads. I had the Avocado and Citrus Salad (I knew this would be a hit w/ DD, she loves Avocado), and was very happy (even though I don't normally love citrus). DH ordered the Seasonal Mixed Greens, and was also very happy. For dinner, I had the Vegetable Stew, which I thought was great (and was great to share with DD). DH ordered the Flank steak, he said it was very good and was happy with how it was cooked. He gave DD a little of his guacamole and we had to ask for more. Our server was more than willing to help out with this because she was so amazed by what DD was eating. We both got dessert, DH ordered the Creamy Indulgence dessert and subbed in the Creme Brulee. We were very curious how they would make it without sugar. It was pretty good, and I couldn't tell tastewise that it was made with a substitute and I can pick out the typical ones. I ordered Decadent Flavors, which was also very good. We were very happy with our dinner and would definitely recommend it.

TheVBs
05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Mmm! Jiko sounds great!

BluewaterBrad
05-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Cool..thanks for sharing! maybe have to put the Wave on my plans. i love avacado.:mickey:

Nicki'sMom
05-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Wow, great review. I will be going in Aug and my son will be 13 months so it was nice to hear your 10 month old did well. We are trying Chefs de France too! Can't wait to see Remy!