Cast of characters for WL 5/9-5/17:
Me-37
DH-43
Grandma
DD7
DS4
DS1

Friday May 15- ??
Well last I left off, we had all drifted off to sleep after a great day at DHS with an evening of Fantasmic. Everyone was fine and looking forward to a late brunch at Cape May Cafe and then a half day at DHS. I woke up around 7am and didnt feel very well. Kind of nauseated and run down. I was thinking I was just maybe hungry and tired, but as I was trying to get up, DS went into the connecting room where Grandma and DD were and I heard Grandma tell DH that she had been up with a bad stomach bug since 130 in the morning! She thought maybe it was the taco salad she had had for supper, until DD got sick twice around 4 in the morning. DD said she felt better, and while Grandma was no longer throwing up, she didnt feel the best and said she wasnt going to go this morning. I quickly came to realize that no I wasnt just hungry, I had the same thing, and was a good 6 hours behind them! I didnt think I could make it either, and as DD was getting ready she got sick again.

I couldnt believe it... yet another speed bump. I had read about people getting sick at Disney and always felt so bad for them, thinking how awful that must be... especially when you dont get to go all the time. And here we were. DH planned to go ahead with the boys to breakfast as DS4 really wanted to go, but didnt know if he could manage both kids and the buffet. My mom was an amazing trouper. Even though I know she was exhausted and not feeling great, she decided she was "better" for the sake of her grandkids and got dressed and chose to go along! So they grabbed the boat to the MK and then a bus to the Beach Club. They said the buffet looked amazing, though Grandma ate every little, and now DH was not feeling great. He had some nausea but never got sick so we werent sure if he had a light case, of if he just had sympathy symptoms!!! The boys just loved the characters. DS1 has a real thing for Donald Duck so he was just in heaven and they got some cute pictures and managed to get autographs for DD in her book as well.

Meanwhile, DD and I stayed back at the resort. We both were pretty sick and knew we made the right choice to stay behind. There is no way we would have been able to do it. DD was so disappointed, and at that point, it hurt my heart more to see her so disappointed than to be sick myself! She loves Minnie and had waited all week to meet her. Unfortunatly we never did find her again so DD could see her. :(

The rest of the gang returned after breakfast and Dh took the boys to the pool for a bit. We then all napped and DH decided to take DS4 over to the Magic Kingdom for a couple rides. Dh was feeling better and DS was fine, so he thought he would do something fun for him, especially after his rocky start. They hit BTMRR and Splash. The rest of us stayed behind. Grandma took DS1 to the little playground. DD and I were still not feeling great. I have to admit this is the one time on this trip I did break down. I was so bummed. We had planned to spend the afternoon at DHS and see the rest of the shows and then do the last couple rides. And DHS was to close at 7pm too. Grandma went down to Roaring Forks to see if she could find something we might be able to eat since we had had nothing all day. Let me tell you, it isnt easy when you arent feeling well to find something. I just wanted some toast but no such luck. She did get some jello and fruit and muffins. We all munched at them and felt a bit better. DD wanted so badly to do something and not lose the whole day, but we just didnt feel up to any rides. We were certainly doing better though, so.....

We got cleaned up and headed to Epcot and thought we would do the mask and trip journal at epcot DS and DH met us there as well and the kids did their masks and we walked around the countries. I tell you, it is cheaper to see the countries when you arent hungry!!! The kids had their mask stamped in each country and we asked the CM to write something about their country in DD's journal. It was great... some of them wrote little facts, others wrote a few words in their language. But some great information for her to take back to her class at school. Following the countries it was almost time for illuminations. It was also evening EMH at Epcot, but after that walking and still not being 100%, we headed to the front. The kids really wanted to do Soarin one more time, but it still had a 45 min wait and we werent up for that so we settled on Spaceship Earth one more time and then made our way out and back to the lodge.

So not quite the day we had planned... but there isnt much you can do about it when it happens, and after some brief tears, we recouped and made the best of it. I was so proud of how well my DD handled it all, and missing things. She was such a trouper. Tomorrow was to be our last full day and there were some things we really wanted to do. So we headed to bed with many prayers that we would feel back to normal come morning and that no one else would get it. What would the chances be that the boys wouldnt get sick too?!

UP NEXT... are we able to enjoy our last park day and hit the things we really wanted to do?

ojeilatan
05-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Wow! When life hands you lemons, you do a great job at making lemonade!

I am so sorry that everyone was sick (except those boys....stinkers!!!) On my last trip, I dsicovered the hard way that I am allergic to a mold that grows in FL. Prepared with a shot and pills this time though!

I am glad to hear that you managed to still do some stuff. At least it wasn't your last day, and your DS did get to make up for some of his missed time.

Hope your last day more than made up for it!:mickey:

gauvin4
05-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Oh my! That day sure didn't turn out as planned. Your mom sure is an angel to go to breakfast with DH and the boys!! I was glad to hear you and DD were able salvage the end of the day.

Thanks for sharing.

KylesMom
05-27-2009, 05:06 PM
You know, this has happened to each one of us in my family during a few of our stays at Disney. I know how disappointing it is when your child has to miss something because they just aren't well enough, or you're just not up to par enough to take them to the character breakfast or park they've been waiting to go to. But you've made so many incredible memories this trip, and hopefully tomorrow you'll all be good to go. I'm so sorry that today was a disappointment to you! :( At least you were able to visit Epcot & accomplish the things you wanted to with the Passport & Journal. I hope tomorrow is a better day!

Hull-onian
05-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Sorry about your family's experience getting sick.:ack: On my GD's first trip, we were headed for home, and the night before we ate at Spoodles. When I got up that morning to catch the bus to the airport, I was sick :sick: as a dog. I vomited a little bit. Got her a breakfast and I had a gingerale. Got to the airport and had some crackers. Made it to the airplane and boarded. We were sitting towards the back of the plane. I asked the stewardess if they had anything at all for a queezy stomach. They said no, and gave me gingerale, TG. I drank that, promptly got up, went into the restroom, and vomited :ack: everywhere. I felt bad for the stewadess's but they were great about it. By the time we landed in Boston, I felt great.:D

Madzac
05-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Sorry about your family's experience getting sick.:ack: On my GD's first trip, we were headed for home, and the night before we ate at Spoodles. When I got up that morning to catch the bus to the airport, I was sick :sick: as a dog.:D

I am sorry to hear about this expereince for you as well... that was our fear, that we would be too sick to fly... ugh!!

Kyle's mom- thanks for the very sweet reply. You are so right... seeing the disappointment in your kids is the hardest thing!

DizNee143
05-28-2009, 11:44 AM
aww that stinks..but glad you were feeling better by the end of the day to go out and do something..:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
05-28-2009, 03:29 PM
The suspense is killing me!! Im heading to day 8!!:mickey:

faline
05-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Oh, gosh! Not fun to be sick on vacation! Unfortunately, I've had experience with this more times that I would like to admit! Glad everyone was mostly back to normal by nightfall!

pdrlkr
05-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

yjgirl32
06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
I know how you feel- on our last trip my ds3 got an ear infection before we left and then I got it and then DH and my mom & aunt got it right before we left to come home. It didn't really keep us from any rides- but ds3 was cranky the 1st couple of days. So sorry to hear that you guys got sick. Hope the last day goes better.

vizsla
06-05-2009, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the report.