PDA

View Full Version : Learning to go with the flow... trip report! May 9-17

Madzac
05-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Welcome to our trip report!!! I posted a trip report after our last trip in 2006 here on Intercot and it was a great expereince and I printed out my posts for our trip memory book. I decided I would try it once again... We took our second family vacation to WDW from 5/9 to 5/17 this year. We stayed at the WL thanks to the 4/3 deal (upgraded from a moderate). We had the regular dining plan and we spent seven days visiting the parks. This was also the first trip trying out Ridemax to see if it would help organize our days. It was a wonderful trip, and certainly a trip of dealing with the unexpected and learning to roll with the punches... such is traveling with young kids, right?! But not so easy when you are an OCD planned like myself!

We started planning this vacation two years ago, when I was on bedrest with my youngest child and couldnt imagine the day would come we would all be off to the world again all together!

Cast of characters"
Me- disney lover and planner- 37
DH- along for the ride... likes disney ok, but gives in more for the kids and I- 43
Grandma- 62- loves disney and along for a trip and to help out with the kids.
DD7- second trip to WDW, loves all things Disney
DS4- also second trip, but first trip to remember!
DS1- first time in the world!

Arrival Day, Saturday 5/9/09

After several days of heavy duty packing and organizing, and running last minute ridemax plans, Sat morning finally arrived. We loaded up the van and were on the road from Cedar Rapids by 815am. We had just over an hour drive to Quad Cities where we stopped for breakfast at one of my favorite places, the Cracker Barrel!!! We were all so excited to be underway at last. Everyone was healthy, happy and looking forward to a great trip.

We arrived at the airport on time and got all checked in. We would be flying to MCO with a stop in Atlanta. Our flights had been switched several times and we had been moved to a 45 min layover in Atlanta. About two weeks before the trip after being very nervous about this, I moved the flight to the next one out. Very glad I did!

Unexpected "surprise" number one was about to occur. Our flight to Atlanta was 30 min delayed. We were waiting in the airport and the kids were getting a bit antsy. Our active four year old was climbing on the railing and I had told him several times to get down. I was also trying to keep an eye on our one year old so he didnt run off. Next thing I knew, bam! Down goes the four year old and whacks his head! Immediate screaming. I thought he just bumped his head but I quickly noticed he was bleeding. A lot... I sat down on the floor with him and grabbed some tissues. Everyone is staring at us at this point, including my mom and husband. I took one look at his head and it was there was a laceration in the back about 4 cm long. I knew he needed stitches. I couldnt believe it... here we are, they are just calling our plane for the trip we have been planning for for so long and my four year old needs sttitches!!! How can this be?!!!

Finally one of the airport workers comes over and I tell her what is going on and she radios for help. Within 10 min we had security, paramedics, you name it there. He was upset, but clearly ok, but needed stitches and he certainly wouldnt be making this plane. We talked with the airline and they said they would be glad to reschedule but didnt think they could get all six of us out together anytime soon... we would have to take several flights. After some talking amongst us, we made the decision that my DH would go with DS to get his head fixed up and get out on a later flight. And I would go ahead with the rest of the family. It was killing me to not be with my little guy, I was always the one that handled stuff like this, but I was still nursing the one year old who is very mommy attatched and we knew if I stayed, he would have to stay and then I couldnt help the older one!

So feeling very frazzled, my mom, myself and the oldest and youngest boarded the flight to Atlanta. We arrived just a little bit late, and called my DH as soon as possible. DS had done just fine at the ER and had four new staples to boot! Bad news, they couldnt get them out until early the next morning so they were stuck staying there for the night. I was bitterly disapointed about this! They would miss our arrival night and half the first day, but what can you do? The airline was wonderful, really and worked to get them out and didnt charge any change fees, etc.

We arrived at MCO around 630pm without further incident and made our way down to the ME area of the terminal. There was NO line at all and we were quickly on the bus and within minutes of boarding, the bus was on its way to the world. Normally, this is so exciting, arriving and all, but I have to say, I was really missing my little boy and worrying about him.

We were the third stop on ME and arrived by about 740pm and had no wait to check in. The Wilderness Lodge is absolutely amazing!!! Everyone says walking into the lobby is a wow moment and they werent kidding! It was simply amazing!!! I was still feeling pretty upset and frazzled and I explained to the wonderful CM about what had happened and that my DH and son wouldnt be arriving until the next day. We had booked standard view and requested nearby rooms. Well, that sweet CM upgraded us to courtyard view with CONNECTING rooms! We were thrilled and thanked her over and over! I had rented a crib for my one year old from A Baby's best friend and it was at bell services waiting for us.

We made our way to our rooms and they were really nice... quiet, on the first floor looking into the courtyard. We really liked the decor. Mom had a king room and we had a regular two queen bed room. We set the crib up in the king room since there was more space and then headed down to Roaring forks for supper. We hadnt eaten since breakfast but none of us ate much after the stressful day. There was tons of variety here, but pretty long lines and little seating. Mom and I had a salad and DD had mac and cheese. DS shared. We all had ice cream for dessert! It was pretty good.

We talked to DH and DS4 one more time before turning in early. They were anxious to get there and would be landing at MCO by 1130am and then catching the bus to WL. We decided to go ahead with our plans to hit Epcot on Sunday and they would catch up when they could and we would go from there. Not ideal, but the best we could do!

Oh, and our luggage finally arrived about 11pm that night... mom waited up wanting her stuff! We then drifted off to sleep anxious to all be reunited the next day!

UP NEXT.... Epcot all day, the Biergarten for supper, Illuminations... and all getting together again!

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh my, I'm so sorry about your first day. I hope things got better.:ill:

jillluvsdisney
05-26-2009, 06:27 PM
WOW. All things considered, I seems like you held it together amazingly well.

BluewaterBrad
05-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Wow....what a start!:mickey:

princessgirls
05-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Tracy~

It wasn't the best start was it, but it could have been worse. Boys... they'll take years off your life...LOL! I'm glad your little guy was OK after he got stitched up.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Julie:mickey:

Donald
05-26-2009, 07:40 PM
BOYS!! It is not if you will need to visit an Emergency department, it is when!!

At least he will have a funny story to tell his kids when he takes them to Disneyworld!!:mickey:

faline
05-26-2009, 08:03 PM
I've read many trip reports but this was truly the most unique beginning of a trip that I have read! I'm so glad your son's injury was minor but I'm sure it was very distressing for you to leave him behind! I certainly hope the rest of the trip doesn't contain surprises this dramatic!

Kathy Jetson
05-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow I would be a wreck since I worry about everything. I hope your little boy had a great time when he got there. Not much you can do but be happy your at disney and make the best of it heres some pixie dust:pixie:

Madzac
05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the kind responses guys!!! I tried to be brave for my DD, but inside, boy it was tough to be strong. It was a very stressful day, I am a worrier too... but it definitly got better!

And yes about boys! They are something arent they? He is only four and this is his THIRD laceration... but certainly the one with the worst timing!!! It will be quite the story when he gets bigger though!

DizNee143
05-27-2009, 12:12 PM
sooo sorry to hear about what happened to your son..hope he is doing good now!!
besides that..sounds like it was a nice travel day and that was awesome you got an upgrade!! :mickey:

pdrlkr
05-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: