PDA

View Full Version : Just returned - dining reviews

hotelhound
05-25-2009, 01:51 PM
We just returned from a 7 day land/sea vacation - May 14-21. I'll focus on the land dining reviews here although with a surprise upgrade to Beach Club club level and the cruise, there is a lot to share.

1st Night -- Flying Fish -- my 10 yo dd's request and my favorite for the entire week based solely on food. Always terrific -- I enjoyed the tuna. 3 dd's ordered onion soup and salads and all were very happy. DS (4) had chicken strips and was also very happy. FF is one of my favs.

2nd Day Lunch -- 50's Prime Time Cafe -- another request from dd #3 -- food was much better than I remembered. Kids worked very hard to be part of the Clean Plate club. Our server was young and clearly working too many tables so that part of the fun never happened. Too bad because that's really the reason to visit.

2nd Day Dinner -- Coral Reef -- DW's request. I came very close to cancelling these ADRs based on what I had heard however the Beach Club concierge assured me that the restaurant was one of the "top" dining experiences in all of the World so we kept them. Boy, did she get an earful (nicely) when we returned. The biggest disappointment of the week, if not, ever in my nearly 2 dozen trips to WDW. Terrible table location, terrible service (do I really need to hear how all of your other customers that day have had food allergies so you hope we don't?), and mediocre, stale food. We will never return and never recommend. It's not even worth going into what we ordered. Skip this or enter at your own risk.

Day 3 Breakfast -- Character Breakfast at Cape May --- what trip is complete without a character meal? We had never dined here -- most character meals have either been Chef Mickey's or at the Swan for breakfast. Server was drolly entertaining and the characters did spend a lot of time with us. Food was good and plentiful selection. My preference is still the Swan because it is the most low key but I would rank this second because of the chaos that is Chef Mickey's.

Day 3 Dinner -- Chefs de France, a request of DD1. Aside from me, this was everyone's favorite meal and I also enjoyed it. I had escargots, the cheese plate and a salad. More French onion soup for the girls and my wife had something she loved but I can't remember. Our server, Bryce, was terrific. BTW, my wife could not get over how handsome all of the young waiters were -- definitely added to her dining experience. We'll add this to the return list for our next trip.

Day 4 Breakfast -- Tusker House --- a suggestion from the cruise check in lady at the Beach Club --- and the food was good. Another buffet with some local 's thrown in -- not quite as ambitious or delicious as Boma -- but still a treat. Character interaction was more abbreviated than at Cape May. The location was prime because we went in before the park opened and finished just after the park opened so we were able to hop right in the safari line with no wait. Not sure I'd return for the food but enjoyable.

SBETigg
05-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Great reviews, thanks! Flying Fish is one of my new favorites, too. And I feel the same way about Coral Reef as you do. I'm sorry that one wasn't better for you.

GBBT
05-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Have to agree with you on Coral Reef.We will NEVER go back there.We were on the DDP and felt like the waitress was rushing us out.Very bland food for us.:down:

2lilboys
05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Out of all your restaurants, I have only been to Coral Reef and 50s Prime Time. It is a shame that Coral Reef was so bad. DH and I went there about 5 years ago and really liked it. I do remember the service was slow, but I thought the food was good. I have not heard many positive reviews of Coral Reef recently though.

Thanks for your review. You have given me some great ideas for new restaurants to try on my next trip. :thumbsup:

KAT1811
05-25-2009, 06:16 PM
BTW, my wife could not get over how handsome all of the young waiters were --

LOL! We are dining here for the first time this fall. I'll have to remember to check the waiters out as well as the food! ;)

Glad to hear that you enjoyed Tusker House. We too are planning on an early breakfast prior to park opening. This will be our first time dining at Tusker so thank you for the feedback.

Sorry you did not care for Coral Reef. Being from NE where we get lobsters and the like off the boat (literally) and all the amazing seafood places around here that never appealed to me. Glad to hear I haven't been missing anything!

mludman
05-25-2009, 08:18 PM
agree on coral reef. went in 2003, will never go back. too many other places to try.

Nicki'sMom
05-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey, thanks for the reviews! Enjoyed them!

CaptSmee
05-25-2009, 09:39 PM
too bad you had an unfavorable experience at Coral Reef. for us, we like to have lunch there. never had a bad meal or service.

ljv1975
05-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the reviews! I ate at Chefs de France earlier this month and really enjoyed it as well. The waiters are quite handsome!!

I was considering Coral Reef because I thought the kids would like seeing the aquarium, but I am thinking of skipping it based on all the negative reviews.

We are trying Tusker House and Cape May on our next trip. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them!

crltkcagle
05-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Glad I canceled Coral Reef last minute. Thanks for the reviews

motherof4
05-26-2009, 07:59 AM
thank you for sharing your thoughts on chef de france I had never been there before and just booked res hoping to see remy that is why my kids want to go