PDA

View Full Version : What is it about Pop?

forever a child
05-25-2009, 11:49 AM
OK, I just have to ask this question:

What is it about Pop that everyone loves so much? :confused: We have not stayed there but honestly, I just don't care for the theming I see from all the photos.:shrug: I know it is the newest value resort (which would be the only reason I think I would care for it). I dont get it...so perhaps someone can tell me. Are the rooms any bigger? Is there something special about the pools? I realize that the All stars share buses, but isn't Pop so much larger that it almost balances that out?:goodbad:

I know that there are many here that LOVE Pop, so I dont mean to offend anyone. :blush: Just trying to understand it better.:scratch:

Thanks!:balloon:

LudwigVonDrake
05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Newer and cleaner for starters. The bus service is more efficient because you don't share buses with another resort and it's closer to the parks. The All-Stars are only close to AK and Blizzard Beach.

Strmchsr
05-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I have heard the myths about the buses being better, as well, but having stayed at all 4 values more than once I think you wait just as long for a bus at Pop as at the others. The only advantage is you don't make a stop at another resort so, once you're on the bus it's a little quicker. However, the buses don't seem to run as often meaning you might wait a little longer for one to arrive. Also, bigger lines waiting for the bus since the resort is bigger.

That said, we like the themeing, but we like all the values. I think Pop's food court is smaller than the others. I can't confirm that by square footage, but it feels more crowded and packed to me than the others.

Is it cleaner? I've always found them all to be pretty clean, so it's certainly clean but not more so than the others IMO. Rooms are also the same size.

So, all in all I think the biggest thing about Pop is crowd mentality. Everyone hears it's so great so they pick it over the other values which I think are also quite nice. It's sort of like Le Cellier. There's better steaks at WDW but everyone still wants to go to Le Cellier (which I do like as well) because of all the chatter about it.

ransam
05-25-2009, 01:00 PM
i really like checking out the hotels...and there is more to see at the pop....going accross the generation bridge to the lake is a very peaceful trip.....and a great way to get away from the crowds.

hel5165
05-25-2009, 01:05 PM
We are DVC members since '93 staying mostly at OKW or Saratoga. We stay at Pop in between and for the free dining offer.

Housekeepers are the best and friendliest; they don't skimp on shampoo/soaps. You have to beg at the DVC resorts.

The pools and pool areas are cleaned every day.
We recently stayed at Saratoga for 10 days and never saw the pool cleaned.

It's very upbeat and lively -- I'm 66 yrs old and not ready for the "home" yet.

The bus service is very efficient. The buses double up when returning in the evening.

Checkin is quick as is the baggage handling.

The food is great and the staff sure know how to move the people through the lines. I stood in line for breakfast at Saratoga with one person serving and it took 25 min to get my plate.

If I had stayed here on my first trip I wouldn't have joined the DVC.

MushuGrl
05-25-2009, 01:09 PM
It's one thing to look at the pictures, but it's another to be there and see the little details. Like the trivia on "memory lane" (which I love). It's just fun to me - I got to Disney to be a "kid" and Pop puts me in that frame of mind.

I also happen to love their food court best (and I've stayed in a mod and a deluxe before).

The pools are indeed cool - I didn't realized they were heated also until I went in December!

But the main thing is that is serves it's purpose. All I need when I go to Disney is a bed and a shower, nothing fancy. You can get that at All-Stars too, but Pop just feels like home to me.

(BTW Strmchsr, give me some tips on those steaks...)

TiggerD
05-25-2009, 01:13 PM
We have stayed at a lot of the resorts on property but we like POP because it is themed the way it is. We love the different pools and the music that plays. The food court is crowded but understandable and the food there is good. We have no complaints about the bus service and it is clean. We are in our mid 50's and we like to remember when this or that came out. It brings back memories of our younger days. September cannot get here fast enough to get back there.:mickey:

DizneyRox
05-25-2009, 01:28 PM
OK, I just have to ask this question:

What is it about Pop that everyone loves so much?
Not everyone... I can't stand any of the value resorts. Too many people, makes transportation a nightmare, the food courts a mess, and the noise levels are just oo much.

BUt I'll say that POP is probably my least hated value, probably becuase of the "newness". Doesn't seem as dingy.

Strmchsr
05-25-2009, 01:30 PM
(BTW Strmchsr, give me some tips on those steaks...)

Yatchsman Steakhouse is hands down the best steak. California Grill is also excellent. Surprisingly, the Rose and Crown steak was one of the best flavored I've had. Couldn't get enough of it. Le Cellier is by no means bad, but I think those are better.

alaMode
05-25-2009, 04:00 PM
but after staying there in March, I'm hooked!

I liked the retro family vacation vibe.

We stayed right in front of the Hippy Dippy pool and I loved hanging out at the pool yet being so close to the room.

The staff was great--everyone was friendly and helpful--what more do you need?

I LOVED leaving the wet towels at the pool and ringing up for a new set. They always arrived within a reasonable time.

The mousekeeping was excellent and we received towel animals for the first time ever!

The main lobby (Century Hall?) was wonderful--very fun and upbeat and it had an amazing lounge to watch classic Disney cartoons while we waited for ME--made the experience more bearable somehow!

I'll never stay anywhere else again!

Tess
poly 07
poly 08
pop 09
pop Christmas 09

hoop de do
05-25-2009, 05:14 PM
If you can, the best way to find out would be to stay there. It is great. That being said, when I'm at Disney it is hard to find negatives. There may be some inconveniences but none to really complain about. I always have a great time. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

forever a child
05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Well, after reading everyone's posts I think it still comes down to the retro theme and that the hotel is newer than the others. I still just don't care for the theme so I will pass. :bolt:But I guess that is what makes Disney so great, something for everyone's taste.:minnie:

Tink#64
05-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Forever A Child, you are so right! Everyone has their fav's and what they are comfortable with. Our first stay was at ASMo's & it was perfect for us at the time! DS's were 4 & 6 and they were into Toy Story, 101 Dalmations, etc and the theme there was just right! We really didn't like all the stops with the busses. ASMo's is last in the AS line up so most of the time the bus was full by the time it got to us and on the way back "home" in the evenings so many stops til we made it back to ours, but we really didn't know that it wasn't like this at all resorts at the time. Of course now I know that the mod's have mutiple stops, so really not any difference there.

Our next trip, Pop had only been open for 6 months and we wanted to try it because it was new and we'd seen the construction during our 1st visit and really wanted to check it out. Part of the attraction was for sure the fact that it was new! Well let me say, we were hooked. We absolutely love the theming there! We enjoy walking around the beautifully manicured grounds, listening to all the different music played in the various decades and reading the trivia signs! We like to take pics with all the nostalgic icons too! Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head are my personal fav's! My DS's still enjoy the seperate water feature there, the water jets! HourGlass Lake is so serene, I like having a room with a view of the lake, and being able to watch some of IllumiNations from that end of the resort! I can't tell you how many times we've had an early night, gotten DS's in their pj's with a snack & enjoyed being able to see SSE & some of the fireworks even when we're having a "down" night! The bus situation is a huge improvement over the AS's and I don't think we've ever had to wait an unreasonable amount of time for a bus. And yes, at busy times, they often double up on the busses running to a particular park! Every trip we consider trying a mod, but we're actually nervous that we'd be disappointed because we really enjoy Pop so much! DH & myself really enjoy the pool scene as much as the DS's do!

I think WDW does a fantastic job with so many offerings, so that we can all find our groove in what fits each of us! We have friends that stayed deluxe their first trip and then Pop for their 2nd and they thought Pop was gaudy. We were not offended, this was their opnion, Pop wasn't "it" for them. For my family right now, Pop is our WDW home! :thumbsup:

caryrae
05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Checkin is quick as is the baggage handling.

Not all the time, depends on when you check-in. The one time we stayed at POP we waited in the check-in line for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Belster
05-26-2009, 01:05 PM
We also are a family that loves Pop!!!

The theme is much fun!!! Bright, and gives you a fun Disney feel.

The buses are a plus. I do not care what anyone says but I have stayed at Pop during all different seasons and the buses are consistant and quick. Plus you do not share buses.

The food court is great!!! Yes crowded but fun and great!!

The resort itself is very clean.

The pools are fun and large...I never feel like we are overcrowded in a pool. If I want a different pool option then I simply chose from one of the others.

Last the resort is Disney. When we bagan staying at Pop we were coming from staying at delux resorts all of the time. Due to financials if we wanted to continue with our WDW trips then we needed to stay value. Pop still gives me the magic feeling and the sevice is still great!! No it is not the Poly but I am still very well taken care of.

We love pop!!! My next trip is to CSR but I still consider going back to Pop.

JPL
05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
I basically became a fan during my quick solo trips a few days here and a few there.. I was not a fan of Values but with $59 a night AP rates you couldn't go wrong when I first stayed. It's clean, the buses were efficient, and I became comfortable with the layout after a few stays. I learned all the little shortcuts back to most of the buildings so nothing seems far away. I also like the variety ate the food court.

AllDisney
05-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Stayed at all the value resorts in the past. They really all the same. The choice one makes is truly an individual choice.

Stayed at POP on last visit and tried to get on the bus for the MK. The line was the longest for this park. After the 3rd bus came for the MK and we still didn't get on we ended up taking the bus to EPCOT and taking the monorail back to MK. I think this is a result of:
1. Time of day.
2. Went during free dining.
3. The size of POP alone is tremendous.
4. The popularity of MK.

We don't think we'll stay at POP again unless there is nothing available at the other values.

last real pirate
05-26-2009, 06:31 PM
i was very glad to see this post. we are going this dec and was not sure about the pop but i have enjoyed reading all your posts. thanks. come oooonnnn dec!

forever a child
05-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I think WDW does a fantastic job with so many offerings, so that we can all find our groove in what fits each of us! We have friends that stayed deluxe their first trip and then Pop for their 2nd and they thought Pop was gaudy. We were not offended, this was their opnion, Pop wasn't "it" for them.

I think this is my problem with Pop! The theme seems too gaudy. :crazy:Just me!

FenwayGirl
05-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Gotta say, I did not like Pop at all! The lay out is terrible and too spread out. The pathways are confusing (especially if you are stuck out in the 90's building like we were) It was nice to have the bus to ourselves, but I seriously doubt that I would book there again...just didn't feel like Disney at all! just my 2 cents.