lovewalt
05-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Cast of characters:
Me~ Holly aka lovewalt
DH~Corey
DD~Maura age 6
May 1-10 Pop Century Resort ~Magic Your Way Plan w/Quick Service Dining

Day 7 Thursday May 7th, 2009

Again with an early wake up call. We followed our usual shower, dressing, snack at the food court routine and then boarded the MK bus for EMH. Upon entering the park we head straight to Fantasyland and rode Peter Pan, Small World, and Pooh then scooted over to Frontierland just as it was opening to the general public. I couldn’t talk anyone into riding Splash Mountain with me so that’s where I headed alone as Corey and Maura stopped for the Country Bear show. The ride was pretty much a walk on and after I plummeted to the Laughin’ Place I met up with Corey and Maura at Big Thunder Mountain but the ride was down for an undermined amount of time. So we moved on to try Tom Sawyer’s Island but it was still too early for it to open. So we headed back to Adventureland to see about taking a Jungle Cruise. The line looked pretty long and it was posted 20 minutes. Well we didn’t have anything else to do at that time anyway so we got in line. It moved fairly quickly and were put in the boat with a female skipper who was very lively and adlibbed throughout the ride. On our last trip we got a skipper who was very monotone and sounded like he was reading everything directly from a script so we were happy for the improvement. Once the boat docked we headed back towards Frontierland and boarded a raft for Tom Sawyer Island. We had fun exploring since it had been a few years since we ventured over there but it was once again above 90º and rising so we decided to leave and go get some lunch at Columbia Harbor House. Corey and I enjoyed the Anchors Aweigh sandwich and Maura had the mac and cheese (I think).After lunch we thought we’d head back to the hotel for a break. The heat was getting quite brutal and we knew if we stayed in the sun all day we would be in no mood for SpectroMagic and Wishes that evening. So we headed back up Main Street passing through the shops for an air conditioned pathway. We were going to head out but Maura pointed out that we hadn’t ridden the Railroad yet this trip. So up the stairs we went to wait for the train. Maura had fun picking up pieces of the Mickey head shaped confetti off the platform left over from the opening show. Soon we were able to board our train for our “scenic trip around the Magic Kingdom” After making the circle we exited the park and headed back to Pop. Maura was interested in a swim and I decided to do one more load of laundry. While I waited for the load to dry, I checked in with Maura and Corey at the Bowling pin pool to discuss the evening plans. We decided on another food court dinner before heading back to MK. While we discussed our food options we decided that 10 days was a bit too long to eat quick service for every meal. We regretted not making an ADR for one of our favorite places, Boma. I got to thinking that we really hadn’t encountered a whole lot of crowds. Wait times for all but the extremely popular or new rides had been practically nonexistent. Maybe, just maybe, we could get into Boma for one of the last 2 nights of the trip, even though it was going to be the weekend? I didn’t think this out loud because I didn’t want to get Corey’s hopes up but on the way back to laundry I stopped in our room and hit the dining line on the phone. Not only did they have openings (plural) for the very next night they were great times for us.5:15 is what I ended up with but I had choices from 4:45 to 6:15.YAY! Corey was thrilled to hear the news. After the laundry was folded and swimming was done we took a little rest until dinner. We ate another food court dinner and then Maura and I headed to MK alone Corey once again decided to relax at the hotel. I will mention that back in February Corey was involved in an accident. He drives a town plow truck in the winter and had been plowing all night during a blizzard. He hit some slush which pulled him into the path of a tractor trailer truck. He did get some broken bones and fractures that have since healed but still give him trouble from time to time. We are very thankful that his injuries were as minor as they were. If you had seen his plow truck that they had to cut him from, you would find it hard to believe he was walking around WDW 2-1/2 months later! He has never had an accident and hasn’t ever gotten as much as a speeding ticket before. So he was pretty shaken up. He really needed a vacation so if he wanted to call it quits after a few hours in the park I didn’t push. We were all much happier than we would have been if he wore himself out. So anyway, Maura and I headed off to MK. We had some time before Spectro was to start so I asked if there was anything she wanted to do. Yes, she wanted to ride Small world…AGAIN. So we did. We thought about Peter Pan but the line was posted 40 minutes. That would be pushing it to get a decent spot for the parade. So we headed back to Main Street got some ice creams and found a spot across from the Main Street bakery. Maura had brought along her spinning light up Minnie Mouse that she had purchased at Fantasmic and not only did she entertain herself she also kept a baby sitting in a stroller next to us amused as well. While we waited for the parade I felt the vibration from my cell phone. It was my mother-in-law. As tempted as I was to ignore I answered just in case there was some sort of emergency. There wasn’t, she was just calling to say hi. We tried to talk but it was getting very loud and crowded on Main Street and I am not one to shout out my phone calls in public so I suggested she call Corey’s phone since he was in the nice quiet hotel room. She has never been to WDW and doesn’t understand why Maura and I would be out alone at night on a “main street” waiting for a parade. Was I sure that was safe?LOL. Soon after the call the announcements began that Spectro was starting shortly. I began to feel that last minute push of people trying to squeeze in at the last minute. Fortunately for all involved no one tried to step in front of us. I have to add that there was a school group sitting next to us. And they were very polite and well behaved. The young man right next to me kept asking if I was sure Maura could see ok since the “push” began, and offered her the spot in front of him. She could see just fine but it was a refreshing change to see such concern instead of the “it’s all about me” attitude. So Spectro began and Maura watched with such an expression of joy that I was reminded of her first trip to WDW as an 11 mo old baby. She watched Spectro then with the same awestruck look. I almost cried. I love these moments. They are so worth the price tag of the vacation. After Spectro we headed closer to the castle for a better view of Wishes. We were on the Tomorrowland side of the castle so we had a great view of Tinkerbelle flying, which was the part Maura most wanted to see. After the fireworks it was time for the long slow walk in the sea of people back to the bus stop. No complaints from anyone that we were moving too slowly tonight. And we didn’t have as good luck with the bus as we had at Epcot closing. We did find a small space for Maura to squeeze in and sit but I had to stand. Oh well. I survived. Back in the room Corey was sleeping but he did wake up long enough to tell me about the scolding from his mother for letting us out to the big scary Magic Kingdom alone. LOL. I knew that was coming!
Up Next: The Day of Buses!

pianobabe
05-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I have enjoyed reading your trip reports. They are getting me excited about our upcoming trip in September. I am glad you had a good day. I am also very glad Corey was able to go to WDW with you. MIL's sure can be funny. I do have to say, mine would have been right there beside me. She is as big of a Disney Nut as I am.

LorrieP
05-24-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm glad to hear that Corey is doing well. I remember hearing about that accident on the news.

I'm enjoying your trip reports. We leave in 18 days!!

I can't believe your co-worker drove down!!

faline
05-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Recovering from an accident, particularly with broken bones, takes longer than one might think. Even after healed, I'm sure he's moving a bit more slowly than usual but I'll bet he'll be fine by time you go again!

Very nice day from start to finish!

January-2007
05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks for reporting.

DizNee143
05-26-2009, 10:25 AM
wow sorry to hear about your hubby..glad he is fine!!! and i can see why he doesnt wanna push his luck with the way he feels..
sounds like you all had a very nice day!
and omg..that is just to funny about your MIL!
you should show her pictures of the scary main street and parade!! lol..maybe just maybe she'll get a clue? :mickey:

yjgirl32
05-28-2009, 11:16 AM
That sounds like something my Mother-i-law would say. Luckily I convinced my in-laws to come along for our trip in Sept. Thanks again for sharing.

pdrlkr
05-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: