PDA

View Full Version : Riverside or French Quarter?

dumbo10705
05-23-2009, 10:54 PM
My DH just surprised me with a trip to WDW the week of Sept 13, which is also our DD 2nd Bday(Yeah). He booke PO Riverside. How is it? Do they have elevators, I thought I saw somewhere that one of them had no elevators. Everything is booked, but I just want to make sure that it's going to be good for us w/ our dd.He tried to get ASMU suite but nothing available. If there are any other suggestions for another mod., please let me know. I am so excited:party:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I don't remember if POR had elevators but POFQ does. I like the size of POFQ, it's small and easy to get around after a long day at the parks. The good news is that you can use the pools at both resorts when you stay at one or the other.

hauntedmansiongirl
05-24-2009, 03:04 AM
POR is a great resort, but very different from POFQ. It all depends on what you like. POR is huge- lots to do but also lots of walking. Riverside Mill, the food court, is awsome and one of the best on property. It also has many quiet pools, which are usually empty. The theme pool on Ol' Man Island is great, as is the hot tub (although it's usually packed). Alligator Bayou is rustic and charming, and the Mansions are elegant and pretty. They are only 3 stories, and I don't think that there are elevators, although I'm not 100% sure. You can request a first floor room though.

I have never stayed at POFQ but I've heard good and bad. Some people love how compact it is, and the fact that it is usually the last bus stop before going to the parks and the first drop off once you get back from the parks. It has a real New Orleans Mardi Gras feel, which is pretty cool.

No matter where you go you'll have a great time! You can't go wrong with either resort!:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
05-24-2009, 11:48 AM
POFQ is more compact and not as spread out which comes in handy at the end of a long day :mickey:

tinkerddeedee
05-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Well we just got back from our first stay on site, at POR. It was great BUT, very very very large! The bussing system was below par, for us. There are four stops and it seems like your always waiting for a bus! I don't know, maybe this is the way it is for the rest of the resorts. POFQ is much smaller and one stop.
I'm pretty sure there are elevators in the mansion area of POR, but none in the AB section. We were on the second floor and that got a little tedious!
We were in building 35 in AB and it took us 7 mins. to walk to the main area. Not bad, but again after a while it got tedious as we ate all our dinners there. We did have a quiet pool right outside our building, but we only used it 3 times. We drove, so we were able to drive to the main area if we wanted, but I wasn't planning on using the car for anything!
I know this sounds like we really disliked POR, but we didn't. We LOVED it. These are just the only things WE found we didn't like. And these are the things that are important to US. It could be different for someone else!
Hey, if my DH suprised me with a trip here, I'd take it in a heartbeat! Have a great time!

sisterdisco
05-24-2009, 09:19 PM
We stayed at POFQ last August---no complaints.
We enjoyed the pool, which was never crowded.
We walked to POR, and ate breafast there one day-----IT WAS INSANE CROWDED.
My kids (10 and 11) like the pool at POR better. The pool at POR was way more crowded an the resort required a TON of walking.
Hope that helps!

garymacd
05-24-2009, 10:22 PM
We prefer FQ for the size and theming. It is very romantic and old fashioned. There are also beignets near to every room. The bus stop, pool, food court are all close by.

Having said that, the Mansions at Riverside are very beautiful. We stayed there once and really enjoyed it. We have never stayed in the Bayou. Actually, the walk to the main building from our building wasn't that bad. We were as far away as possible, too.

Mitzie
05-25-2009, 07:56 PM
OH Oh!! Pick me, see my hand up..that is the teacher in me..all joking aside. We stayed last Oct. at POR and the AB section and just loved it! I felt the themeing was beautiful. We ate diner our first night there at Riverside mill and all enjoyed their meal. I got the pasta made your way and it was enough for me and my DS. One night we got back and used a snack credit for some icecream and things, also very good. We spent two different evenings at the main pool and found it very relaxing. We were in building 36 and it was alittle bit of a walk to the main building but very 'doable'. The bus stop was close and we really never had a long wait. Staff was nice and helpful. Hope to be blessed to go back in the future. This trip is CRB just to see another Mod. Hope to like it as well as POR.

E-Ticket4
05-25-2009, 09:41 PM
The mansions have elevators. They are sort of H shaped and the elevators are at the middle line area. Love POR. The size has never bothered us, but we also have not gone at peak times to be pressed by the crowds.

Lakin
05-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Some people love how compact it [the French Quarter] is, and the fact that it is usually the last bus stop before going to the parks and the first drop off once you get back from the parks.

Just for clarification, it is the first bus stop before going to the parks, and the last drop off once you get back from the parks.

Sorry to be a bother, but I just wanted to clear up any confusion that may occur later. :mickey: