View Full Version : lovewalt's "no plan" plan trip Day 5

lovewalt
05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Cast of characters:
Me~ Holly aka lovewalt
DH~Corey
DD~Maura age 6
May 1-10 Pop Century Resort ~Magic Your Way Plan w/Quick Service Dining
Sorry it’s taken awhile to post another installment…..sometimes life gets in the way. Anyway, on to
Day 5 Tuesday May 5th, 2009
Another early wake up call. Today is EMH for Epcot. We were kind of dragging though so we did not make it to the park until around 8:30.We headed straight to Soarin’. Wait time was posted 20 minutes so we got in line .When we got into the pre-show area they realized they had miscounted there were only 2 spaces left ,not 3.So we waited in the “boarding area” again and saw the pre-show again but at least we got the first row after all our waiting. After Soarin’ we got Fast Passes for my friend Aaron who was meeting us later. Then we went to check out the times for Test Track and Mission Space.TT was 45 minutes so we decided to skip it. Maura didn’t really want to ride it anyway and frankly I find it a little lackluster. So it was off to Mission Space.30 minute wait for Orange and 10 for Green. Maura has never ridden this and was very excited about it but she did want to do the less intense Green Team which was fine with me. I like Mission Space and on our last trip when they offered a choice between Orange and Green, I still went with Orange. I have never gotten sick but the last time I felt really weird afterwards and I decided not to tempt fate this trip. So Green it was and you know what? I didn’t miss Orange at all! Maura LOVED this ride. And really wanted to go again but we promised we would later and moved on to Spaceship Earth. This was under refurb on our last trip so we were anxious to see it again. I liked the new narration and the computerized stuff at the end was fun but there wasn’t a whole lot to look at on the return trip “back to earth”. Maura thought it was just great though .Next stop, The Seas with Nemo and Friends. I have never waited in line more than 5 or 10 minutes for this before but today it was about 30 minutes before we reached our clam shell .Oh well still enjoyable. While in line, I received a message from Aaron that they were in AK. They had a one day pass from one of his former CM friends (did I mention Aaron used to for at WDW?) so they were making the most of their only day at the parks. They would head to Epcot after they hit the highlights at AK. So anyway, while in The Seas, we decided to check out Turtle Talk with Crush. We have always managed to miss this show before for one reason or another but today we saw it and it was really cute. Maura did not want to sit up front with the kids but that’s ok she liked the show anyway. After The Seas we were starting to get hungry and Aaron had said not to wait for them to eat so we went back to The Land and used the food court there.Maura and I both had the sushi and Corey got the rotisserie chicken. After we ate, we headed over to Living with the Land. There was a school group ahead of us (and we saw LOTS of these groups this trip) and they were pretty loud. Not misbehaving, just a little excited but they made the line area very noisy. The man in line behind us wanted to talk about the Swine flu and the impending doom that we all were under. I was happy to finally get on the boat. The school group had their own boat ahead of us but Swine flu man and his wife were seated behind us. Fortunately, he stopped talking when the ride started. I miss the live boat operators/tour guides. The pre recorded tour is ok but just not the same. When the boat docked we headed over to see Figment. For some reason Maura decided this ride was scary and didn’t want to go on. I thought she was confused with Honey, I Shrunk the Audience and assured her that this wasn’t a 3-D show but she burst into tears and said she didn’t like it when Figment turned into a skunk. Uh-Oh, I think the first over- tired meltdown was about to start. I reminded her about the Image Works Labs at the end of the ride and she calmed down and actually laughed when Figment turned into a skunk. She was happy again and playing on the squares that light up and make sounds in the Lab when I got a call from Aaron that he and Justin was here and just walking in under Space Ship Earth. We told them to meet us at The Land for Soarin’. But they actually caught up with us between the Imagination and Land pavilions. We did the introductions. Aaron is my co-worker and has been for 3 years but we live in different towns and have never met each other’s families, even though it felt like we knew them from the many conversations we’ve had at work. I told them I had Fast Passes for Soarin’ and they were thrilled because the wait time was up to 75 minutes. Since I only had 3 Fast Passes, it was decided I would accompany them and Corey and Maura would head to Club Cool and we would meet them there. So off we went. They told me they had done Big Thunder at MK that morning, since MK was where Aaron’s CM friend worked and then they went to AK and did the Safari and the Forest Trail. Aaron wanted to ride E:E but Justin didn’t (he’s not a ride person) and since it was another super hot day they decided to escape the heat of AK. Soon it was time for us to board Soarin’ and Aaron was very excited since it had not opened up before he stopped working at WDW. And Justin was…..terrified. As much as I tried to ease his worries that this was a tame ride. He was white as a sheet and had a death grip on the hand rests. He did like it and calmed a bit once he realized this wasn’t some high speed rollercoaster. We were lucky enough to get the first row so they got no dangling feet in their faces for their very first Soarin’ experience. After our flight we headed to Club Cool. I wanted to pull the “try the Beverly…its great” prank on Justin but after his traumatic Soarin’ ride I didn’t have the heart. But I got Aaron. He asked,” Now which one of these is the really bad one?” and I told him “China” so he did end up drinking the Beverly. And he called me a name I can’t repeat here. LOL. In the meantime Corey and Maura were enjoying Frozen Cokes while they waited for us. We regrouped and decided to head to the World Showcase.

lovewalt
05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
We took some pictures of topiaries for the Flower and Garden Festival along the way. They had a great Lion King Display at the entrance of The World Showcase. We moved on to Mexico and talked Justin onto the boat ride. He did fine. After checking out The Marketplace, Maura spotted the Kidcot Station and wanted to get a mask and start collecting. So Aaron and Justin decided this would be a good time to grab a bite to eat. They went to the counter service place in Mexico while Maura made her mask and then we moved on to Norway so I could get a spray of Laila, Maura could collect a charm for her mask and we could eat some school bread. Justin was limping along pretty badly and had developed a huge blister. So they decided before we went any further into the World Showcase they wanted to make a trip back to their hotel and tend to the blister and get another pair of shoes. So off they went with the plan to call when they got back to meet up again for IllumiNations. Corey, Maura and I moved on to China where I got a plum wine slush while Corey and Maura collected the charm. And so this is how the afternoon went, browsing the countries, visiting Kidcot stations and sampling food and drink offerings. I have to mention France here. Ever since Maura found out we were making another trip to WDW she has been talking about visiting the France pavilion. Some kids may be excited about Mickey Mouse, but Maura was excited about France. I was a little excited myself since it was the home of the Grand Marnier slush that gets such rave reviews and it didn’t disappoint. But Maura’s real excitement was to see Impressions de France. She took in all the things in lobby while waiting for the theater to open for the show. And had her picture taken with the Gargoyle. Then we watched the movie. I must admit to nodding off a bit in the nice a/c on such a hot day .But Maura sat completely enthralled and asked to do it again. We didn’t that day but I guess you never know what a kid is going to get excited about on a trip to WDW. Anyway, after touring all the countries Corey was ready to call it a day. He was hot, getting cranky, and had no desire to stay and see the fireworks. So we said goodbye and Maura and I were on our own. We decided to see the movie in Canada since it was new from our last trip .I did enjoy the new version and was happy to still hear Canada,oh Canada. During the movie I felt my phone vibrate. A message from Aaron. Seems he fell asleep while Justin was tending to his blister and then Justin did too and was still sleeping. Remember they had just driven non-stop from Maine to FL the day before so I guess they were pretty wiped out. So they weren’t going to come out for IllumiNations after all. They apologized for being “old farts” which is pretty funny since I’m pushing 40 and they are in their 20’s! No problem. It’s not like we don’t see each other EVERY DAY. I wished him a happy rest of his vacation and safe travels for his ride home. Then Maura and I were off again. We went back to Mexico and rode the boat ride again. Then we went to Norway and rode Maelstrom. This had a long wait time earlier in the day but was now down to a 10 minute wait. So we rode with the trolls and then stayed for the movie. Maura really likes these movies. Perhaps I have a future world traveler on my hands? So now it was about 30 minutes until IllumiNATIONS. So we found a spot in Norway and waited for the show. It was beautiful and moving as always. Then it was time for the stampede for the park exit. We walked slowly knowing there was no need to rush .The lines for the buses would still be there no matter how fast we got to them. We had been there in the park for 13 hours and Maura has short legs. This was the first trip she did not use a stroller and she did really well. So we stayed to the side so that the faster walkers could pass us. Then I heard an impatient voice behind us saying “Why do we always get stuck behind SLOW people?” Now I could have let it go but it bugged it me too much. So I stopped, made a grand sweeping gesture and used my best sarcastic tone to say “Please, After YOU!” I’m sure the effort was wasted on them but it made me feel better. Honestly, some people! It’s not like they really got that far ahead of us in that crowd anyway. Sheesh. Slow and steady won the race for us because we reached the front of our bus line just as a fresh bus pulled up so we didn’t have to stand for the trip home. Corey was sound asleep when we got back to Pop and it didn’t take long for us to join him. With no wake up calls set for the morning we relaxed into dreamland.
UP NEXT: A visit to the Poly and another trip to Epcot

faline
05-23-2009, 03:51 PM
That certainly was a very long park day! It was nice you could meet up with your friend even though it turned out to be for such a short time!

January-2007
05-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for reporting.

Kathy Jetson
05-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the report.

DizNee143
05-26-2009, 09:46 AM
sounds like a wonderful day!! very busy and you guys sure did get a lot in today!! thanx for sharing!! :mickey:

yjgirl32
05-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Very nice report. Thanks for sharing.

pdrlkr
05-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: