PDA

View Full Version : to buy or not to buy tickets to the parks

Paiges
05-22-2009, 11:28 PM
We have a good size group meeting at WDW in Sept. My inlaws don't get around very well and probably won't want to ride any rides. They are considering not getting tickets to the parks for most days. I think they should go to the parks! Anyone with experience in this area/advice to them on whether they should try the parks or not? (They will be getting one motorized scooter for sure. Tickets will also depend on whether the rest of us are eating dinner in a park, since they will be joining us for dinners.)

Thanks!

princessesmom
05-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Even if they don't want to ride any rides, there are lots of great shows which they would likely enjoy. They could find a nice spot to sit and watch the afternoon parades. They can join you for lunch and/or dinner in the parks. Once you pay for 3 days, the additional days cost very little. So if they are going to go a few days anyway, they might as well go with you all the days. What would they do instead?

Seasonscraps
05-23-2009, 02:21 PM
What would they do in the parks? Would they go on any rides? A lot of them are mild. There are several shows and of course there are the parades but if they are going to spend the day waiting around for everyone else to go on rides, they may enjoy spending some of that time at the resort more.

They do have to option to add days to prepurchased tickets if they change their mind once they get there. Try to get them to do park days early on at an easy pace and they may be sold! But I don't see the problem if they are planning to buy tickets for a couple of the days you are all going to be there. Their park days and park meals can be coordinated so they are not paying admission just to go in and eat.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-23-2009, 11:17 PM
My Mom was in a wheelchair the last couple of times she went to WDW and she still had a great time in the parks. There are lots of rides they can still go on, especially if they can transfer to the ride vehicle. And the shows, parades and fireworks are not to be missed. They really should get park passes.

thejens
05-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Are you staying at a Disney resort? Which one? Being stuck at a value would be quite different from enjoying the AKL. Travel from park to resort is a factor to consider too. Your inlaws might be anxious about simply getting there and back. My Mom travelled with us despite an advanced lung condition and used her rented scooter everywhere she went. She had a ball and went on practically all the rides (okay, no mountains.) Some even allowed her to stay on the scooter. My thought is that your in-laws might light to visit the parks for a meal or fireworks or show each day if it is not too difficult. The scooter was very easy on the monorail and pretty easy on the bus. It was very easy to navigate the parks and resorts. It does not go on the boats. We stayed at the Poly so my Mom could simply hop back on the monorail any time she wanted. We also chose a nice resort where she could enjoy herself and relax if she wanted to. She chose to stay in the parks all day with her grandkids, but she is a trooper. You may want to talk to your in-laws to see what they are looking forward to on this trip. They may really enjoy being at a resort and relaxing and joining you just for meals. On the other hand, you might be able to allay any concerns they have about the parks. I know that before I visited WDW I could never have imagined how enjoyable an amusement park could be! Be sure to report and let us know how it goes! Try not to stress too much over the big group. Having a little "go your own way" time may not be a bad thing!

Paiges
05-24-2009, 12:18 AM
We are staying at POR. I am excited to stay there, but from the description, it doesn't sound like there's that much for them to do during the day if they hang out there.

I will pass on your comments to them. Thanks for all the input!

We will have a few days before the whole group descends, so definitely will be able to go our own way!

wardie1
07-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Are you a Flambe Cola Cow?:mickey:GREAT NAME! YOU ROCK!:thumbsup:Guess who?

wdwfansince75
07-04-2009, 07:48 PM
There are so many things to do at the parks that can be done in an ECV, they should go for it. EPCOT is especially great....wide open spaces, and lots to see....and lots to eat and drink!
All the parks accomodate people in ECV's, on rides, and for the shows. And getting to go on rides with their grandkids will become special memories for them, and for the grandkids. DD#2 still remembers riding again and again on "If You Had Wings" with her DGM...and we all remember PoTC with DW's parents...
Even though DW and I have made repeated trips with kids and grandkids, each trip is different, and each is special. Convince them that sharing WDW with them will be special for them, for you, and for their grandkids.
Suggestion....getting ECV's on and off buses can be a challange...but doable....but consider driving to parks....remember to bring their HC passes....especially convenient for AK and EPCOT.

On our last trip, we brought a friend who had had recent hip replacement surgery, and rented an ECV. DW also rented an ECV. They both were able to enjoy many rides, and shows...I found that allearsnet had the best planning location for guests with disabilities....There are also several guidebooks especially for guests with disabilities.

Noticed that you are already looking at Grand Gatherings...we tried for the morning one at Tony's...but waited to long to book it....they tend to fill up early. Do some Character Meals with them....Ohana for breakfast is a family style meal...good food....also consider Garden Grill....again, family style, good character interaction, and good food.
Suspect you are on the dining plan...so they had to get at least a one day ticket...they have up to 14 days after first use to add days....Take them to a park the first day....and let them decide then, if all of these extra hints don't work. At WDW, it is always better than you thought it would be!

dmosher
07-04-2009, 09:57 PM
We had a few family members that visited us while we were there and had no intention of hitting the parks. After a few questions, we decided to forgo the parks on the days we were together and instead hit a water park, etc. We usually work into our schedule "days off", so we just made these those days and on our days in the parks, they could relax at the resorts, beach, etc. Everyone was happy.
:pipes:
D