PDA

View Full Version : time crunch?

ananda
05-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I am a newbie to WDW. I am more excited than my kids (5 & 7) are because I have waited almost 36 years to go.:mickey: We are going on August 19th. Our flight gets in at 11:59am and we have reservations at the Crystal Palace for 3:30. Is that going to be too much of a rush? I heard that it takes a long time to get from the airport, to the resort and get checked in. Thanks.

faline
05-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

Where are you staying and how are you getting from the airport to Disney?

ananda
05-22-2009, 01:25 PM
We are staying at the All-Star Music and we are taking the free shuttle thingy (remember, I am new to this).

faline
05-22-2009, 01:32 PM
That would be Magical Express. I'm guessing you will let Disney handle your luggage so will not need to stop at the luggage carousel to pick up your bags.

I'd count on 1-1/2 hours to get off your plane and get to Disney. Are you doing the advanced check-in? That might save you some time. Check-in desks at Disney tend to get quite crowdd particularly when several planes let off folks who are heading to popular resorts. I'd plan 1/2 - 3/4 hour to get checked in. Then, I always suggest that folks plan on 1 hour in travel time from start to finish. It could go much quicker than that. For example, a bus to the Magic Kingdom arrives just as you walk up to the bus stop but it could take quite a bit longer. Service tends to slow down a bit mid-day as there aren't as many folks who are traveling to parks and resorts at that time of day so bus wait time could be as much as 20-30 minutes if you've just missed a bus.

It's likely doable but 3:30 might be cutting it a little close particularly if you get delayed anywhere along the way such as a mid-afternoon thunderstorm impeding your landing or slowing traffic on the way to Disney.

wildernesslady
05-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Can you change your reservation to 4:00 so you are not to stessed? Or maybe a different day. Since you are new and don't know the lay of the land it might be easier to do a counter service that day. Or, if you know you are going to be late, call dining when you check in and make other arrangements. I'm sure someone else would appreciate the cancellation. Have fun!!!

ananda
05-22-2009, 08:34 PM
They did not have any other openings that day. Are there other suggestions of nice places to eat in MK that might be available? Not necessarily a character meal, but somewhere fun for our first experience there.

Goofy Texan
05-22-2009, 09:24 PM
I recommend you skip having a dining reservation your first evening. Feeling like you need to hurry will make you miss out on a lot. You'll likely end up in a frenzied rush the minute your plane lands. As you are trying to keep your family corraled and headed toward yor resevation, the rest of the family is:

Wanting their picture taken in front of the large icons at the resort

Oohing and ahhing at the monorail as it slips by over your head

Looking stunned at the castle at the end of the street. (Getting them moving again requires you to run around and close all the dropped jaws.) The castle then acts as a magnet pulling everyone toward Fantasyland.

Oh and don't forget the parade starts at 3pm. Making your reservation may mean you have to act like a salmon swimming upstream.

Instead, keep things loose that first evening. Hit the Magic Kingdom when you're checked in and ready to go. Take your time walking down Main street, soaking up the sights and atmosphere as you go. At the hub, check out the times board and head toward something with a 20 minute or less wait. Eat when you're hungry at any of the counter service places that look good - you get the idea.

An organized touring plan might be needed any other day, but arrival day is just for doing what feels right. Remembering my first trip, I know I wouldn't have wanted to turn away from the Magic Kingdom to sit in a restaurant for 2 hours - even if it's a nice place with good food and some crazy characters. But maybe that's just me.

dmosher
05-22-2009, 09:52 PM
It could be cutting it pretty close. You never know how long your Magical Express--> Hotel Check in--> Bus to the Park will take. If you really want it, go ahead and do it. In many cases you will not be seated immediately anyway, so if you are a few minutes late it will be OK, worst case scenario, they give away the table and you have to wait for the next available one.
:pipes:
D

faline
05-23-2009, 03:43 PM
With free dining, it might be tough to get another reservation for a buffet or table service restaurant on your first day.

While not in the Magic Kingdom, you could try to see if there is any availability for Chef Mickey's (Contemporary) for later that day or at O'Hana's (Polynesian) or at Whispering Canyon (Wilderness Lodge) or at 1900 Park Faire (Grand Floridian) All are good places for kids. Chef Mickey's and 1900 Park Faire are character meals. The others are not but do have activities that keep kids involved and engaged.

The Contemporary, Grand Floridian, and the Polynesian are a short monorail ride away from the Magic Kingdom while Wilderness Lodge is a short boatride away.

The Magic Kingdom is open until 10 p.m. on the 19th so you could always return to the park after your meal if you still have enough stamina. Given that it's a travel day for you, you might opt to make an early evening of it so you are ready for the rest of your Disney adventrues!

mreinventtt
05-23-2009, 05:41 PM
We went to Disney last your on August 17th we flew in from Philly and landed around 1:00 pm and we also stayed at Allstar Music. It took about two hours from the time we got off the plane to the time we arrived at the resort and about another 30 minutes to check in. Depending on where your hotel room is located it could take you another 20 minutes to find your room and make your way to the Magic kingdom bus stop. The wait for the bus to the parks is usually no more than 15 minutes.It is about a 20 minute ride from the resort to the kingdom and it will take you another 10 - 15 minutes to walk from the bus to the resturant. In my estimation it will take you about 4 hours from the time you get off the plane to the time you arrive at the restaurant. I suggest eating at the resort the first day that way you don't have to rush around your first day. If your not down for eating at the resort try Cosmic Rays in magic kingdom it is a counter service in future world the kids will enjoy the entertainment.

Tink#64
05-24-2009, 12:50 AM
I would recommend lunch from the food court at AS's eaten poolside! We love to do this for lucnh or dinner. If you want to get out a bit, take a couple hours for Downtown Disney for dinner or icecream. Or head to DTD first, there's Rainforest Cafe there & T-Rex for fun! Can always take a little time to relax poolside later in the evening. We never make big plans on arrival day, you never know exactly how things are going to go. DTD for shopping & dinner and then a swim is our arrival day tradition! Then we head back to the room to unpack & get ready for the next morning & our first park day! Bed at a decent hour so we can start bright & early & be in the parks at opening time!

Wishes for a magical trip! :tink: