PDA

View Full Version : DLH Rooms

maizey05
05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
On a popular site, where hotel reviews are posted, I've seen some reviews of DLH, which claim that the rooms are "dated", and "run down". (I can't imagine any Disney hotel room to be run down, and I highly doubt it's true!) Anyway, in your opinion, are they any more "dated or run down, than the rooms at PPH? (I stayed there last year, and we thought the rooms were nice.) Then again, I stay at Disney hotels for the theming, proximity to parks, service and:pixie:. I do not expect it to be the 4 Seasons. Anyway, how are the rooms at DLH, really?

CanadianWDWFan
05-22-2009, 12:55 PM
We stayed at DLH last summer and didn't find them run down at all. Here are a couple of pictures of the room.

Picture 1: (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/2745497800/in/set-72157606622567893/)
Picture 2: (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/2744658693/in/set-72157606622567893/)
Picture 3: (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/2744656337/in/set-72157606622567893/)

Hope this helps.

NotaGeek
05-22-2009, 01:27 PM
On a popular site, where hotel reviews are posted, I've seen some reviews of DLH, which claim that the rooms are "dated", and "run down". (I can't imagine any Disney hotel room to be run down, and I highly doubt it's true!) Anyway, in your opinion, are they any more "dated or run down, than the rooms at PPH? (I stayed there last year, and we thought the rooms were nice.) Then again, I stay at Disney hotels for the theming, proximity to parks, service and:pixie:. I do not expect it to be the 4 Seasons. Anyway, how are the rooms at DLH, really?
I have stayed at the DLH many many times ... I have never been in a room that needed updating. The rooms are fully Disney themed and comfortable -- no doubt it's getting to be time for the hotel to do a major renovation, but this is a 4 star hotel, not 5 ... it's in-line with the comforts at any Marriott, Sheraton or Hilton -- with that Disney Magic thrown in as a bonus.

Aisling
05-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Back about a decade or more, the rooms were getting pretty run down, but Disney sprinkled some magic and made the rooms all new and spiffy. So, that was 10 or so years ago, if you think the rooms are run down because they are a decade old, then yeah, they are. But I've never seen anything to make me think they are old and in need of repair. We're staying there in a week and I'll post pics of what our room looks like. Now, I have been told that the rooms in the tower that has the front desk (I always forget that name!) are not as nice as the other towers, but that's hearsay and I've never seen it for myself.

My favorite rooms in the DLH are on a higher level (7 or 8) with a Downtown Disney view. I love being able to throw open our window and watch the people. We've also had a Neverland pool view and that's fun too. You get to watch the kids slide down to the pool.

Here's a thought - since you are debating between the GCH and the DLH, why don't you get a concierge room at the DLH, those rooms are bigger, on higher floors, and you get drinks and food all day in the concierge lounge! AND if you husband or mom needs a break while the baby is napping, you can hang out at the concierge lounge to watch tv, or just relax sans enfant. Now that's an idea! We loved the concierge room when we stayed there last year. We're not doing it this time since we're only there one night for my son's birthday.

Have fun!

Aisling
06-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey, thought I'd update my previous post - we stayed in the Magic Tower at the DLH last night and our room was just as nice as all the others we've stayed in. The Magic Tower is the one with the front desk, where I'd heard the rooms were run down. Not so! We had a room that overlooked the parking lot (not so great), but we were hardly there, so we didn't care. If we'd stayed longer I might have requested a pool view, but one night didn't make much difference.
Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know all the rooms are great in the hotel!

Have a great stay and I hope you enjoy your trip!

Marceline
06-04-2009, 12:50 AM
We stayed at the DLH in the Magic tower two weeks ago. IMHO dated is definitely a word that came to mind. By no means run down, but the carpet and drapes were showing their age, and this combined with the sort of bland 60's style modern office building look to the exterior made for a certain feeling of dated-ness.

The classic Disney theme is very nostalgic and it was great fun to get to stay in the first Disney hotel:mickey:....but it was a touch disappointing after many stays at the WDW resort hotels. They are just not the same types of property.

Having stayed at DLH once, I plan on trying the PPH or the GCH next time. I thought the GCH was gorgeous!!!:thumbsup:

maizey05
06-04-2009, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the insight, and giving me an update from your recent trip. I'm not a picky person. I am easily wrapped up in the Disney magic, during my vacations there. It sounds like any of the DLR hotels would be fine with me. Thanks again for your input!:mickey:

Woozle
06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
We also wouldn't say that the DLH is run down. We prefer staying here to the other 2 onsite hotels. Normally, we ask for the Wonder Tower. The rooms are a little bit bigger.

Ed
07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
We just booked a "Premium" room at DLH in late September. We've stayed at Paradise Pier before, but never at DLH.

Anybody got any insight on exatcly what a "Premium" room might be, as far as what floor(s), view, room size, etc. ?? :confused:

TIA !

NotaGeek
07-20-2009, 04:49 PM
We just booked a "Premium" room at DLH in late September. We've stayed at Paradise Pier before, but never at DLH.

Anybody got any insight on exatcly what a "Premium" room might be, as far as what floor(s), view, room size, etc. ?? :confused:

TIA !
Room size is all the same ... premium rooms are higher floors with a view towards Disneyland or Downtown Disney. The Disneyland side rooms do have a view of the Fireworks and they have the music on the TV ...

Ed
07-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Room size is all the same ... premium rooms are higher floors with a view towards Disneyland or Downtown Disney. The Disneyland side rooms do have a view of the Fireworks and they have the music on the TV ...

Cool! Thanks, Michael. :thumbsup:

Tried to get a studio @ the villas at GC; just bought into DVC there, and that's supposed to be their opening day. But only thing available was a 2 BR villa; a little "overkill" for just the 2 of us! Sounds like DLH will be a very acceptable alternative.

Mammabruski
07-20-2009, 05:30 PM
My DM has been talking about going to DL for our next family vacation, and how she'd like us all to stay at the DLH. So I was curious and googled "DLH room pictures" and found that they are all to be renovated over the next 3 years. I imagine if you google "DLH room pictures" and add renovation, you'd get the link which had pics of the proposed renovations. Very, very nice. So if you're planning a trip in mid-2010 (when the first phase is scheduled to be finished) perhaps you can request a newly renovated room! Any ways, I'm sure you can still google images of the DLH rooms. Gotta love the internet! :mickey:

NotaGeek
07-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Cool! Thanks, Michael. :thumbsup:

Tried to get a studio @ the villas at GC; just bought into DVC there, and that's supposed to be their opening day. But only thing available was a 2 BR villa; a little "overkill" for just the 2 of us! Sounds like DLH will be a very acceptable alternative.
Hey Ed, if you decide to splurge for the 2 bedroom villa ... I am available. :mickey:

I love the DLH ... that being said, last October we tried the DCA thanks to Carol's DVC points and it was really fabulous!

NotaGeek
07-20-2009, 06:02 PM
My DM has been talking about going to DL for our next family vacation, and how she'd like us all to stay at the DLH. So I was curious and googled "DLH room pictures" and found that they are all to be renovated over the next 3 years. I imagine if you google "DLH room pictures" and add renovation, you'd get the link which had pics of the proposed renovations. Very, very nice. So if you're planning a trip in mid-2010 (when the first phase is scheduled to be finished) perhaps you can request a newly renovated room! Any ways, I'm sure you can still google images of the DLH rooms. Gotta love the internet! :mickey:
Yep, there is also an on going post with all the information right here in the Disneyland Accomodation thread (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=157139) ...