PDA

View Full Version : Please help talk me in or out of plan, with suggestions?

egospotter
05-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Ok, so here's the deal. We are going 8/29 - 9/7 and our dining window is just around the corner (Sunday.) Because I've had 90 more days to plan this year than I normally do, I have been over-thinking everything and have changed my plans about as many times as there are happy haunts in the Haunted Mansion.

So, every year we try to get to as many new places as we can. New meaning new to the two of us together. Most are not new to me, but are to my husband... but I digress. I also try to plan a meal at a resort that DH has not been to yet, so he can see it. Also we try to slip in a character meal because we are just a couple of Mickey-crazed kids inside 20-something bodies.

We need two meals at or around Magic Kingdom, one character meal and one with an excuse to go to Grand Floridian.

The original plan was Dinner @ 1900 Park Faire with Cindy & Crew and Dinner @ The Wave. But DH thought Cindy too girly and I wasn't too excited about the menu at The Wave.

So now the plan is Dinner @ Chef Mickey's and Dinner @ Grand Floridian Cafe. The problem is that I am not overly excited about Grand Flo Cafe, but I want to show hubby the hotel.

What do you all think? Have you been to GFC and liked/loved it and think I should go? Or do you have other suggestions I've not thought of yet?

Thanks, I look forward to your posts! :mickey:

dmallan
05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare? We've done this in the past. Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Mary Poppins, Alice and Mad Hatter.
Food is good; you'll get a chance to look at GF.

Wrigley
05-21-2009, 04:27 PM
I'd also recommend 1900 Park Fare for breakfast. We did this on our last trip and really enjoyed it! The food was really good, and the character interaction was good as well! This will give you that chance to check out GF!

the other micki
05-22-2009, 12:04 AM
I just wanted to mention that you don't have to eat at GF to see it. We hopped off the monorail and spend about 45 minutes in the GF shops and lobby (really enjoyed it), then hopped back on the monorail and made our ADR at Ohana.

egospotter
05-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Oh I know we don't have to eat there to go there. It's just a good excuse!

I am now leaning toward late Breakfast at 1900 and dinner at either O'hana or Kona Cafe. Any thoughts?

Also I saw in my guide book that 1900 Park Faire is open for breakfast until 11:30. Does anyone know if they seat all the way up to 11:30 and how a late seating (11:00 - 11:30ish) might affect character interaction?

SBETigg
05-22-2009, 09:18 AM
I love Grand Floridian Cafe. I think it's one of the best on property, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's so lovely and comfortable, good food, friendly service. I don't know why you would be hesitant to go.

irish1967
05-22-2009, 09:11 PM
The Grand Floridian Cafe is great! It is on our "must do" list for this year. The food is excellent and we have never had less than stellar service.

Tigger&Stitch
05-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Hmm...how about a meal at the Wilderness Lodge? Or the Contemporary? Artist Point and California Grill are incredible places to eat.

Then keep the 1900 park fare breakfast (we are trying a meal there this year as well).

dmosher
05-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Artist Point and California Grill are incredible places to eat.

I second that! Book a Reservation for the California Grill about 30 min's before the scheduled MK fireworks. I promise you will not be dissapointed and you get to see something you always see from a whole new persepctive... very, very cool!
:pipes:
D

thejens
05-22-2009, 10:40 PM
I agree that Cali Grill is awesome, my all time favorite, but if you want to check out GF try Narcooses. It is fabulous and has a lovely view. Get there a little early because there is a scenic walk through the grounds to get to the restaurant. Ohana is a lot of fun for dinner and there is plenty of food. I really like the food better in Kona, but most seem to prefer Ohana. Watching Wishes from the beach at the Poly is a nice touch after dinner at Ohana if your reservations are earlier. We loved Park Fare for breakfast also. The characters are funny. I have heard that Cindy's stepsisters and step mother are pretty funny too, though so tell your hubby not to be so uptight about the princesses!!!

egospotter
05-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Thank you all so much for the great suggestions!

I don't have anything against Grand Floridian Cafe, the menu just didn't excite me much... Hubby will go anywhere I tell him to, but I want him to enjoy where we are going also. We really like Asian food so I think that Kona Cafe is a good fit - I've already picked out the Shrimp and Scallops.

I love the California Grill, we went there last year and got a table by the window for the fireworks. We are on the DDP and are "splurging" on Hoop Dee Do and Brown Derby this year so CG, Narcooses and Artist Point would eat up to many credits. I think Narcooses will be on the list for next year.

maxrebo77
05-23-2009, 05:43 PM
If you have an early dinner, try to see the torchlighting ceremony before you go to Kona.
Anyone who goes to GFCafe, try the dessert sampler. If you are into pairings, they have an excellent dessert beer there.

egospotter
05-25-2009, 12:23 PM
We are going late so that we can see the EWP and then hope back over to MK for EMH.

YYFN

MinnieMommie
05-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Thank you all so much for the great suggestions!

I don't have anything against Grand Floridian Cafe, the menu just didn't excite me much... Hubby will go anywhere I tell him to, but I want him to enjoy where we are going also. We really like Asian food so I think that Kona Cafe is a good fit - I've already picked out the Shrimp and Scallops.

I love the California Grill, we went there last year and got a table by the window for the fireworks. We are on the DDP and are "splurging" on Hoop Dee Do and Brown Derby this year so CG, Narcooses and Artist Point would eat up to many credits. I think Narcooses will be on the list for next year.

Great choices! 1900 Park Fare for breakfast and Kona for dinner are among our favorites!! :thumbsup: