PDA

View Full Version : Not satisfied with proposed dining - ideas?

BMan62
05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Reading some of the recent reviews of The Wave and Sanaa (yes, I know it's new and going through growing pains,) I am getting a little concerned over keeping these two in our dining plans for September.

We are currently planning the following (in no particular order:)

Coral Reef (been here before [2003] - loved the atmosphere, were not overly excited about the menu) Time to give the food another chance.

Chefs de France (new to us) Looks interesting and menu has some different options that the 'boiler plate' offerings around 'the World'

Le Cellier (new to us - planning for late in our 8 night stay to make it easier to get good reservations) Our one 'steak and potatoes' meal.

Hoop Dee Doo Review (been here before - DW asked for it this trip)

Kona Cafe (new to us - we have done 'Ohana and were OK with it, but not one of our "must do's")

Sanaa (new [to just about everyone,] but 'm concerned over the early reviews and menu selection - I like Indian spicing, but DW is not so hot on it) We have eaten at Boma (3x) and Jiko (2x,) so they are not options for this trip.

The Wave (new to us, but again, early reviews are not too promising and are making me rethink this choice)

We don't do character meals, so that cuts down on some of our options.

We are not looking for any more 2TS meals (HDD is enough for one trip.)

We are looking for different menu options than steak or chicken all the time. Have eaten at Cap'n Jack's and food was OK, but atmosphere and service was not the greatest.

Last, but not least, we aren't really interested in buffets for this trip. This would be a 'last recourse' option.

AmandaChan
05-21-2009, 11:56 AM
I picked Raglan Road on the poll list because DH and I have been three years in a row and have never had a taste of anything that was less than delicious. Plus the atmosphere in the evening is great with Irish performers. Plus I've never ate at any of the resort restaurants :)

We tried Le Cellier this year for the first time and we loved it. I was a little concerned over some reviews but we had a great experience.

SBETigg
05-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I've read one lukewarm review of Sanaa and one good review. It's not enough to turn me off. I would definitely still plan to try Sanaa. It looks great, and the setting sounds pretty neat too. I need to try things for myself instead of going by early reviews.

That said, there's something about the Wave that just doesn't appeal to me, so coupled with all the not-great reviews, I think I would pass on that and try Raglan Road instead. I've been to Raglan Road twice and had very good food and service both times.

cer
05-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I did not vote for any...I have only been to one of the places on the list (Whispering Canyon) and really, it is just ok, for me. We have been twice and feel like we have "done it".

BUT I will tell you that we were able to try both LeCellier and Kona Cafe for the first time on our last trip and we were not disappointed with either.

I know you said you don't do character meals, but Garden Grill is a completely different character experience. Very quiet and the layout of the restaurant makes the dining almost private on the lower level... Again the characters are there, but it is truly so much better an experience. Family style, so you aren't having to walk through a loud busy restaurant while juggling a plate of food. I know I am off topic, but I don't think I will do character dining anywhere else anymore - just my two cents for anyone else who is looking for a different character dining experience....

alliekat
05-21-2009, 01:10 PM
We did Raglan Road on the last trip, we loved it. The food was flavorful and service great. Atomsphere was fun. My DD, age 11 is a picky eater and finished her whole meal. It's definitely worth a try! Enjoy whatever you do!

Rhetoric2000
05-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Kona Cafe is terrific - one of our every-time meals.

I've picked Captain's Grille (The best hidden secret in WDW, though there actually seem to be a lot of posts about it at the minute)

I've also gone for Whispering Canyon - corny but a great atmosphere and tasty home-style food.

I'd also consider Marrakesh depinding on how you fancy trying new styles of food (if indeed it would be "new")

Finally there is the Yak and Yeti, which has a wonderful atmosphere nad good menu - even though reports suggest it can get a little hit-and-miss.

I actually find Raglan Road really rather Fneh. But like the Rose and Crown, that could be more to do with being able to get similar food better and for less money at home.

estein80
05-22-2009, 12:40 PM
I haven't read other review of The Wave, but I no the customer review in my Passporter was fine.

DH, dd (10 months) and I went there two weeks ago and were very pleasantly surprised. DH and I each got an appetizer salad, I got the Avocado and Citrus Salad which was really good (and I'm not the biggest citrus fan). DH had the Mixed Greens Salad, also very good. For dinner, DH had the Flank Steak (dd loved the guacamole and we had to ask for more) and I had the Vegetable Stew (I don't eat meat, but was still very happy with my options. Dessert was also great, we asked if we could mix and match from the groupings they had and were told that we could, so DH had the Creme Brulee w/ the Creamy Indulgence group (we couldn't tell that it wasn't made with real sugar.) I had the Decadent Flavor group and was also quite happy.

obsessive planner
05-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I chose Ragland Road, DH and I went there on our last trip and loved it. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was really nice. We will absolutely go back again even with all the places we still want to try.