PDA

View Full Version : Is October right for us??

EmmMOM2
05-21-2009, 11:05 AM
We have always been in September but found our last trip a bit TOO hot!!

Anyhow we are now leaning towards October.
We are looking for Cooler temps then Sept but still swimming weather, Halloween decorations would be a plus, low crowds (any special weeks in OCT that are extra busy we should avoid?) and we also are looking to go while the free dining is NOT going on, I repeat NOT going on. haha.
Does October fit this bill?

My DH is a ABC employee so we get at least 20% OFF all food at Disney UNLESS its during the free for the public deal, which we CANT participate in.
Thats why we want to avoid the free dining period.

OR we could go in December the week AFTER thanksgiving, which is what my DH would prefer. But I'm worried we wont be able to swim and the kids may be cold (3 & 6 at the time we go). I'm also worried coming from the NE that the kids may get sick or something or we could have BAD snow when flying back in to CT.
Though I WOULD like to see the xmas decorations for once. :)

So Oct or DEC whose side are you on?

THANKS

Strmchsr
05-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Pros and Cons to both times. First, the week after Thanksgiving has gotten a good bit more crowded in recent years (the second week of December is actually less crowded now from most accounts), but October would be similar or maybe just a wee bit higher due to many schools now having a fall break. Still, neither time is awful for crowds. October you can count on as being warm but not oppressively hot. There's a hurricane risk, but by October the season is beginning to wind down so the risk is not as great as September. December's weather, on the other hand, is extremely variable. You could have highs in the low 80s, low 40s or both in the same week (I've experienced the latter). December also tends to have more rain events. I've had heavy rain in December both nights I've tried to do the MVMCP the last 2 trips. Swimming is certainly possibly in December as the pools are heated. You might freeze between the room and pool, but you can still get in the pool. All things considered, I'd probably go October. The Christmas decorations at WDW are beautiful, but I like the MNSSHP a lot better and the weather is better with similar crowds. Just avoid Columbus Day.

Figment78
05-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I do love WDW during the holidays, but I am going to vote for October. We've been in Oct/end-Sept several times and found it to definitely still be warm enough to swim. One year it was definitely chilly, due to a pending hurricane and the fact that it was closer to the end of Oct. But the halloween party is really fun.

Try to avoid Columbus day weekend if you can, as it is a bit more crowded. (but not unbearable by any means.)

Jeri Lynn
05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I have been both times. I love them for the things they have to offer.

I would suggest going in the latter part of October and you will still have warm weather, sometimes September's hot weather carries over into the beginning of October..

I am going this year the week after Thanksgiving and love that too, last time we went the weather was just perfect, but I have also been during this time and had very cold weather (once).

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong!!

SFD998
05-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I have been In September, October, November and December.

September can definitely still be way too hot so switching to October depending on the week should help with that.

The decorations for Halloween although nice are not as good as they are during the Christmas season IMO .

We used to go the first or second week of December, but have decided to start going in later October. It eliminates any concerns as far as flying out is concerned or returning for that matter (we are from CT too) and it doesn't make the final weeks before Christmas as hectic.

Putting everything aside I think I prefer the Christmas season, but the Halloween season is a nice alternative. You still have really good weather, still have seasonal decorations, still have an after hours party and either way you are pulling the kids out of school.

I would say October is a good time to go, but if you get the chance I would hit it at Christmas one year too.

Aggie97
05-21-2009, 02:37 PM
We visited the last week of October 2008 and loved it. MNSSHP and the Food & Wine Festival were wonderful. I would say the crowds were moderate. It's probably tied with early February as our favorite time to visit WDW.

The weather was pretty variable, but we really enjoyed it. Our highs ranged from the mid-60s to the mid-80s; lows ranged from the low 40s to the mid-70s. We had one day of rain.

We have visited WDW a few times in early December, most recently in 2007, and the holiday atmosphere is fantastic. The Christmas decorations and activities definitely are much more extensive throughout the WDW resort --all four parks, the resorts and DTD -- while Halloween was centered mostly at MK (with some activities at other parks, resorts and DTD on the 31st).

Whatever you decide, have fun! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-23-2009, 11:30 PM
I really enjoyed MNSSHP but the Christmas decorations can't be beat. We went the first week in Dec and some days it was still warm enough for my nephew to swim.

MinnieMommie
05-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I have visited multiple times during the months you mention. September is my least preferred (weather wise) and October is my all time favorite month to visit. The weather and crowds are great in October (discounting the Columbus Day weekend and Halloween) and my family really like MNSSHP and the F&W Festival. Early October can still be quite hot so I like to visit towards the end of the month. DH also likes November once the holiday decorations are up and even early December. That's nice too but again my vote would be for October. :mickey:

estein80
05-24-2009, 09:55 PM
OR we could go in December the week AFTER thanksgiving, which is what my DH would prefer. But I'm worried we wont be able to swim and the kids may be cold (3 & 6 at the time we go). I'm also worried coming from the NE that the kids may get sick or something or we could have BAD snow when flying back in to CT.

THANKS

Being a CT native and now a FL resident, I will tell you that it is often warm enough to go swimming in December, as long as you live out of state. I just told dh that I would like to go in Dec/Jan because I would like to wear a sweatshirt (it was 90 something during our last trip).

The snow problem is something that will definitely exist, but weather is always unpredictable.