PDA

View Full Version : Free things to do around WDW?

Euby
05-21-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm staying near-property (Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort) and can only spend 1 day at the Magic Kingdom:(. What free (or cheap) activities do the resorts offer?

:rocks:

DizneyRox
05-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Walking around is always free... Outside of that, not much. You can view animals at AKL and FW or ride the monorail around the Seven Seas Lagoon and over to Epcot.

Most everything else has Mickey with his hand in your wallet however, at least in some way.

jakeybake
05-21-2009, 08:09 AM
You can walk around Downtown Disney (though keep that credit card in your pocket!). You can also visit the Boardwalk and take in the performers and grab an ice cream or a bit to eat (not free I know). Or what I always like to do, visit the different resorts. As DisneyRox said, you can jump on the monorail which makes it pretty easy to see the GF, Poly and CR.

Jay

Sportster
05-21-2009, 08:21 AM
My wife and I were down when Hurricane Wilma hit. Fortunately, the storm wasn't as bad as anticipated for the immediate orlando area. The worst of the storm had passed by around 11am. Of course the parks had decided earlier to close (they opened late in the day), so we decided to ride around and visit some of the resorts like Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Poly and Contemporary. It was nice to relax and take in the beauty of the resorts.

Downtown Disney is entertaining to walk around and visit.

Fort Wilderness is also another beautiful area to tour and relax. There's a nice beach with hammocks and you can get a nice reasonably cheap meal aty Trails End buffet.

deedeenmickey
05-21-2009, 08:55 AM
I believe the Campfire sing along and the movie at Ft. Wilderness is free. You can always ride the boats and watch wishes from the beach at the Poly or Grand.

PlutoToo
05-21-2009, 11:56 AM
The campfire, sing along and movie at Fort Wilderness. The Electrical water parade from the beach at the GF, Poly, Fort, or Contemporary The nightly movie at the Yacht club beach. The live piano player in the afternoon in the lobby of the Grand Floridian. The orchestra in the evening at the Grand Floridian. I think there is an African storyteller in the evening at the AKL. Some of the wishes fireworks from the beaches of the GF, Poly, Cont. Some of the Illuminations fireworks from the bridge between Boardwalk and Beach Club. Ride the boat from OKW or POR to DTD.

epceddie
05-22-2009, 03:13 AM
My wife and I visited the Grand Floridian for the first time the first week of May and we spent a very relaxing 45 minutes in the lobby listening to the piano player.
I requested the song "A Time for Us" from Romeo and Juliet, which is one of my wife's favorites, and he very kindly played it for us.
We really enjoyed exploring the resort and are looking forward to trying one of the restaurants when we return to the World in November.

GrumpyFan
05-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Catch a ferry boat from MK to Fort Wilderness (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/fortwilderness/default.asp) and stroll around.

Animal Kingdom Lodge (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/aklodge/default.asp) is also worth checking out.

joonyer
05-22-2009, 01:02 PM
You can ride the monorail for free, but you'd have to pay for parking or take a cab to get to the TTC (at MK) or Epcot stations.

Mousemates
05-22-2009, 03:55 PM
There are several vantage points to watch Wishes from around seven seas lagoon....you can also see the "tall fireworks" from illuminations from the bridge near the swan/dolphin near the boardwalk (which has free street entertainers).

Hair_Razor
05-25-2009, 09:49 PM
If you are specifically asking what Bonnet Creek offers free. You can do many activities, you can swim of course and they have put put. You can get games at the activities desk. Almost every night they have something set up for guests to do like movies on the lawn or karaoke. Otherwise I think most free things at other resorts have been listed.

BugeyedMuggy
05-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Grab a hidden Mickeys book (from the library)and search the resorts. While your are at the resorts you will see many things and meet many people. I mention the hidden Mickeys to show that if you look closely you will see alot of things most people miss. Disney tells a story and pays attention to detail in everything they do.

DisnIse
05-26-2009, 08:54 AM
1. Downtown Disney, including boat rides to Port Orleans, Saratoga, or Key West. You aren't supposed to do roundtrips, so get off the boat, walk around a bit (grounds are lovely!) and hop back on

2. Boardwalk / Yacht and Beach Club have great stores, restaurants, games,etc.

3. Fort Wilderness has the petting farm, playground, beach, and plenty of trails to walk and explore.

4. All Star Resorts have great photo op places. We bring our boys there a lot to eat at the food court and play around by the X and O's football field, the Herbie finish line, etc. It's cute.

5. Animal Kingdom Lodge has animal viewing, a nice playground, and plenty of Hidden Mickey sights in the common areas. Heck checking out the new DVC section is one of our things to do this trip on its own!

6. Monorail rides are good, too! The EPCOT loop to the ticket and transportation center is about 30 minutes, I think!

I'm sure there are others, but we love finding the free/cheap things to do, too!