PDA

View Full Version : So - I'm thinking 'Ohana, what else should I plan to do there?

tss22
05-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Alright - aside from the monorail platform, I've never been to the Polynesian. However, I think I'm going to correct that this September by having dinner at 'Ohana with my wife and two young boys (4 and 2).

My question is, if you could get an ADR for any time you wanted, what time would you get it for and what else should we plan to do or see while at the polynesian? (water pageant? fireworks from beach or somewhere else?, anything in the hotel? etc.) Are there things (such as coconut races) to do within 'ohana and how often do they occur?

Thanks for any and all advice

Mickey 101
05-21-2009, 12:54 AM
We eat at 'Ohana every year while we visit Disney and try to time our dinner so that we will be finished on time to be down on the beach to watch Wishes. If you are seated by a window in the restaurant, you can also have a great view of Wishes and the Water Pageant while you eat. It's just that you may or may not have that particular view. We time our reservation to be about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours before the start of Wishes just to be safe. If we have a little time in between, it's always fun to explore the Polynesian and do a little shopping. :mickey:

KylesMom
05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
My question is, if you could get an ADR for any time you wanted, what time would you get it for and what else should we plan to do or see while at the polynesian? (water pageant? fireworks from beach or somewhere else?, anything in the hotel? etc.) Are there things (such as coconut races) to do within 'ohana and how often do they occur?

We eat at Ohana for dinner at least once each trip. It has been our experience that the later the reservation, the longer we've had to wait past our ADR time to be seated. Last year we had a scheduled ADR for 6:20 pm - and were seated at 7:15 pm. This has been the norm the past several years, not the exception. With the ages of your boys, I might suggest an earlier reservation versus a later one. I guess it all depends on how late your boys can "hang" into the evening. I know when DS was 2 at Disney, we rarely made it past 8 pm.

We've actually scheduled an ADR for 5:00 (when they open) this trip. It is our hope that we'll enjoy a great dinner, DS can "play" for awhile, then we can head over to MK to catch Spectromagic and Wishes.

They run the coconut races, parade and limbo approximately once per hour, then have other entertainment (hula lessons, singing) in between the games. As mentioned, you could also schedule a later ADR, shop in the Poly stores afterward and then catch Wishes & the water pageant from the beach if you didn't want to head to MK. DH and I enjoy Ohana for the food & beverages, and DS enjoys the games (with the food in between)! :lei::papple:

ElenitaB
05-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Might not be of interest to your DSs, but they do have an AWESOME gift shop at the Poly. We've also gone down to the beach after dinner to watch Wishes... all depends on the timing of your ADRs and Wishes for that particular night.

thejens
05-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I agree that the earlier your ADRs are the better. We usually have to wait and the service is leisurely. I would go early enough to be sure to be finished before Wishes. You can then watch the show and EWP from the beach. Or, if you prefer, it is very easy to hop on Monorail and watch from Main Street. If you are finished too early the gift shops are fun and the kids enjoy playing in the sand on the beach. We like to have a drink on the beach and relax. The games and races take place through out the meal and if they are important to your kids ask for the main dining room when waiting for your ADRs. We have been seated in the lounge area away from the activities and it is harder to participate there.

tinksmom02
05-22-2009, 01:29 PM
We eat at Ohana for dinner at least once each trip. It has been our experience that the later the reservation, the longer we've had to wait past our ADR time to be seated. Last year we had a scheduled ADR for 6:20 pm - and were seated at 7:15 pm. This has been the norm the past several years, not the exception. With the ages of your boys, I might suggest an earlier reservation versus a later one. I guess it all depends on how late your boys can "hang" into the evening. I know when DS was 2 at Disney, we rarely made it past 8 pm.

We've actually scheduled an ADR for 5:00 (when they open) this trip. It is our hope that we'll enjoy a great dinner, DS can "play" for awhile, then we can head over to MK to catch Spectromagic and Wishes.

I've had the same experience, and will be hoping for a 5pm seating in September. However, we're staying at the Poly...if you're just visiting, you might want to chance a 6 or 6:30 ressie and then explore a little until fireworks. (depending on what time they have Wishes, I guess)

Keneva
05-24-2009, 08:13 PM
We went to Ohana's when our DD was 6 and our DS was 2 (he was free). Our DD had a kid's burger. Neither of them ate much because they were to busy running around participating in the activities. To enjoy the resort you should really stay there but in absence of that just walk walk around the grounds by the pool areas and down by the beach. We have rented mouse boats each time we stayed and it is now a tradition. $30 per half hour and you can get a good view of the entire lake with all of the other resorts. Maybe after dinner take the launch over the MK for the evening.:mickey:

last real pirate
05-24-2009, 10:13 PM
i have only been there once and i fell in love with ohana's. the food was amazing!!! what ever you do, make sure you save room for the bread pudding. we also got some really cool pics from around the hotel by tiki staues and huts and stuff.