PDA

View Full Version : Whoo hooo! Help us plan an unexpected Christmas Trip!

Figment78
05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi everyone! Due to the stars aligning just right - our extended family will be visiting WDW this Christmas! Here are the details (ages are as of time of trip):

Dec 17 - Dec 24
AKV - Kidani, Savannah View 2 bedroom

Me, 31, Disney fanatic/expert
DH, 32, Disney fan / exert at letting me plan the trips!
DS, 1.5, Disney fan-in-training, loves all the Playhouse disney shows, Lilo and Stitch, and has already made his debut trip to WDW last March
DMIL, got bitten by the WDW bug on her 1st trip almost 3 years ago with us. Her dream was to experience WDW at Christmastime with her kids and grandkids....
DFIL, ditto my MIL's opinion
DSIL, 36, has been to Disney a few times (friends and work I think), but never with her DH or DD and not within the last 6 or 7 years. Appreciate fine wine, shopping, etc.
DBIL, 38?, might have been to WDW with the Dartmouth baseball team (he's a trainer). Outdoorsy type, also a foodie...
DNiece, 5, never been to WDW. Loves Princess and all things "girly"

I'm just now starting to get everyone started on planning some things for the trip. We plan to do some stuff together and some apart, and also swap babysitting duties a few nights.

I thought I'd open this thread to see what my fellow intercotees suggest for our group!

I'm already thinking - Princess breakfast for my SIL & family, Ohana's for me, DH and son. Perhaps Jiko for one of our adult nights out.

We're all SO excited!!!!! TIA

Missy_Mouses_Dad
05-20-2009, 04:18 PM
My two suggestions:

1) Attend Mickey's Christmas Party..very fun
2) Check out the lights at Studios "Streets". They are amazing.

MarkC
05-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Agree with Missy's post above. We were just there last Dec. 28-31 and were prepared for the worst as far as crowds go. However, if you get there at park opening you can do all the major rides in a little time. But be there early-- by noon the place will be packed. Get there at opening and you can be walking out while others are walking in. Best of luck. Mark

Meteora
05-20-2009, 08:06 PM
You'll have such a fabulous time! WDW during the holidays is truly magical. Definitely take advantage of all the holiday events--holidays around the world at EPCOT, the candlelight processional, the castle lighting, the special Wishes fireworks and illuminations finale...all really special. I don't even celebrate Christmas, and I still love it.

It will, however, be packed. Plan to get there early and be elsewhere during the crowded afternoon, then maybe come back in the evening. Even places like Downtown Disney will get very crowded, so plan accordingly. Also, make sure if you split up that you have cellphones, because with crowds like those it can be hard to re-locate people. And, most importantly, remember to breathe and take time to enjoy the decorations and the magic.

Figment78
05-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Great thoughts everyone!

I've actually been twice during Christmas time and you are right - there is SO much "extra" holiday stuff to soak up and see and experience.

Given that, the crowds, and the shorter touring days due to the early bedtimes of the kids, does anyone have suggestions about which highlights I should include in my recommendations to them that balances out the Christmas and the "regular" stuff?

Unfortunately MVMCP is out for us - the kids are asleep by 8:30 and neither will sleep in a stroller. But that's okay, we will go back someday. DH and I have been and it is awesome!

Kathie_WE
05-22-2009, 04:25 PM
We are going with a large group in Sept and if there is one piece of advice I would say -- do not feel that you all must do everything together. We are going to pick a few special events and then go with the flow.

One great event that is pretty low key but definetly interesting is the story time in EPCOT. Each country tells a story of Christmas from their own perspective and it is great. Gets you in the spirit in a very relaxing way!:thumbsup::thumbsup: