PDA

View Full Version : Disney Buys Land for Resort Hotel at National Harbor - UPDATE (11/25) Plans Cancelled

disneyfamily05
05-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi All-
I know this is not Disney theme park related, but thought it was interesting anyway. In today's Washington Post there was an article titled: Disney Buys Land for Future Resort Hotel at National Harbor. It will be in the DC metro area (Prince George's County; as opposed to the Inner Harbor which is in Baltimore), they have purchased 15 acres to build a 500 room hotel - it will be built on a site that will/does cater to the convention industry.

Below is part of the story by Thomas Heath:

"Disney would not disclose the exact size and construction date for its National Harbor plan, "but it will be a project of significant scale and put a recognizable Disney footprint in the Washington area," said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Rasulo added that the project is not an attempt to build another Disney's America.

"The National Harbor resort is a completely different kind of project," Rasulo said. "It's specifically zoned for hotel, residential and other commercial development. This project is a hotel resort. It is not by any stretch of the imagination a theme-park project and never will be. We have no intention of building a large-scale theme park in the Washington area."

The new project might dovetail with Adventures by Disney, which offers guided tours that include a mid-Atlantic tour through Philadelphia, Williamsburg and Washington. The D.C. leg of the tour includes a guided bike ride around the National Mall and private tours of the Lincoln Memorial, the White House and Arlington National Cemetery, and a lunch trip to Mount Vernon. "

I was not sure if I was allowed to link to the story or not. Thought it may be of some interest.

Kenny1113
05-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Wow I might have to look into DVC again if they are going to start adding stuff outside of theme parks!

Figaro
05-18-2009, 10:30 PM
wow.... I'm genuinely shocked....it's in the Washington Post alright. I'm curious to learn more about this project. Nothing has been said internally about it....

Scar
05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Yea, but can we beleive this? I mean... it is the Washington Post. ;)

wdwfansince75
05-19-2009, 07:40 AM
National Harbor is just south of the beltway....and Blue Plains Treatment Facility....(and you thought that smell came from Capitol Hill!)

Access is from Indianhead Highway....The website is
http://www.nationalharbor.com/consumer/consumer.htm

Melanie
05-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Ah, Indian Head Highway...memories.

Anyway, it's right there on the National Harbor website.

National Harbor Sells Land to Disney
Site Being Considered for New Resort Hotel

NATIONAL HARBOR, MD (May 19, 2009) - The Peterson Companies announced today the sale of land at its National Harbor development near Washington, DC to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Disney is considering using the 15-acre site overlooking the Potomac River in National Harbor, MD as the location for a resort hotel for families and others visiting the National Capital Region.

“We’re thrilled Disney has decided to invest in National Harbor,” said Milton V. Peterson, chairman of the Peterson Companies. “Disney is the top family entertainment company in the world, and its purchase is a great vote of confidence in the future of National Harbor and the Washington area as a top family tourism destination.”

The new resort hotel would be one of Disney’s stand-alone resort hotels separate from the Disney theme parks. This new resort hotel, like the project under construction in Hawaii, will be in a prime geographic location and will provide guests with the same comfort, fun and amenities for which Disney is famous.

“As we began identifying possible locations to grow our business, the Washington, DC area immediately jumped to the top of the list,” said Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “National Harbor offers an array of entertaining activities for regional visitors, but it is also a family-friendly base camp, from which visitors from around the world can explore the stirring sights and inspirational stories of our nation’s capital. We believe National Harbor has the unique opportunity to offer a new level of family-friendly hospitality.”

Disney purchased the Maryland property from the Peterson Companies for $11 million.

For additional information about this announcement please go to: http://a.media.global.go.com/parksnews/natlharbor/natlharbor.zip.

About National Harbor:
Rising from the banks of the Potomac River in Prince George’s County, MD., National Harbor is a new 300-acre destination waterfront resort. With six hotels and 3,000 rooms, National Harbor features the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center. Many attributes include the tree-lined avenue American Way, public art including “The Awakening” sculpture by Seward Johnson, shops and offices, numerous high rise residences and the largest marina on the Potomac River. It is also the future home for the new Cesar Pelli-designed National Children’s Museum. The master developer for National Harbor is The Peterson Companies, one of the largest privately owned development companies in the greater Washington area specializing in large mixed use developments.

About Walt Disney Parks and Resorts:
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts are where dreams come true. More than 50 years ago, Walt Disney created a new kind of entertainment families could experience together, with detailed atmospheres and vibrant storytelling. His vision now includes a collection of five of the world's leading family vacation destinations: Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, Calif.; Walt Disney World Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.; Tokyo Disney Resort, Urayasu, Chiba, Japan; Disneyland Resort Paris, Marne-la-Vallée, France; and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, Lantau Island, Hong Kong, China. In addition, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts includes the world-class Disney Cruise Line, the Disney Vacation Club, with eight resorts and more than 350,000 members; Adventures by Disney, a guided group vacation experience to some of the world's most popular destinations; the World of Disney stores; and Walt Disney Imagineering, which creates and designs all Disney parks, resorts and attractions. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts’ first stand-alone resort hotel, Ko' Olina on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, is currently under construction and is scheduled to open in October 2011. For more information and images, please visit www.disneyparksnews.com.

Ian
05-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Huh. I'll be curious to see what they come up with here, seeing as how it's so close to home and all.

If it's a nice resort ... something along the lines of a Vero Beach or Hilton Head ... I'd definitely consider jetting down there a couple times a year for a nice long weekend or something.

Dsnygirl
05-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Hmmm.... will be interesting to see if they DVC a part of this hotel... would make a purchase a bit more tempting, as it's a driveable distance to a lovely area! :mickey:

Mickey's Pals
05-19-2009, 09:57 AM
:cloud9: I am so excited about this!! I live in the area and am also in the construction industry. I would be so exited to have the privilege of working on a Disney Project!! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
05-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Wow, this is very interesting to me. We are planning on taking a family vacation to DC one year. Its very important for us to show our kids our nations capitol. We've put if off thus far so that our kids can be at a better age to experience and remember the trip. Now I may just hold out until this resort is finished.

princessgirls
05-19-2009, 12:45 PM
This is good news today! I read it in USA Today. I think it will be a popular place for families to stay while touring the DC area.

Julie:mickey:

WriteDisney
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm so excited for this!! :thumbsup: Can I make my reservation now? :cloud9:

TheRustyScupper
05-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Wouldn't it be an oxymoron to put a Mickey Mouse in Washington?

jpH/keD
05-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah! Close to home!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I knew this was happening months ago! My friend is an engineer w/ the company contracted to start the buildings!! :):)

So exciting! Since I wont be going to FLA any time soon!! :(

buzznwoodysmom
05-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Does anyone know of the start date on this project? Or the estimated opening year?

figgie
05-20-2009, 10:49 AM
DH and I arrived in the DC area yesterday morning on a business trip this week. Being from FL we are used to seeing Disney news on the nightly news but imagine how surprised I was to see the Disney report of buying land at the Nation Harbor leading the stories of nightly news here also. Goes to show you, The Mouse is popular everywhere!

figgie
05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Forgot to give any information, oops. Anyway, it was stated that no actual building plans were released and actually, they bought the land without any restrictions of building on the land which gives them the option to resell the land if the economy doesn't get better. They bought 15 acres for about 11 million dollars. If they decide to build, they would probably follow the plan of the resort they are building in Hawaii due to open in 2011. Plan for about a year before they announce the plans and start to build and then another year or two to finish.

John
05-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Huh. I'll be curious to see what they come up with here, seeing as how it's so close to home and all.

If it's a nice resort ... something along the lines of a Vero Beach or Hilton Head ... I'd definitely consider jetting down there a couple times a year for a nice long weekend or something.

Jetting? Try driving or amtrack. Quicker.

Ian
05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Jetting? Try driving or amtrack. Quicker.I was using "jetting" in the late 80's sense of "let's jet."

It was not meant to imply the actual use of an airplane.

So take that, Mr. Literal. ;)

MOJoe
05-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Wouldn't it be an oxymoron to put a Mickey Mouse in Washington?

No. Just maybe a little redundant.

Actually he should fit right in. A well dressed entertainer from California.........reminds me of a former President. :cool:

Cinderelley
05-24-2009, 08:34 AM
When I first heard about this a couple of days ago I sent DS19 a text message. The best of both worlds for me - seeing DS19 & a little Disney - although he might not be stationed in DC by the time they open it.

MinnieMommie
05-25-2009, 01:08 PM
This would be an exciting addition to Adventures by Disney. I look forward to watching as this story unfolds and develops! :mickey:

BrowncatP
11-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Disney has decided to back out of their plans for a 500 room hotel in the National Harbor. I am so bummed:(!! I was looking forward to going the first month the place opened. News was reported today.

Melanie
11-27-2011, 02:55 PM
From Washington Post:

Disney backs out of National Harbor, in blow to Prince George’s County

by Thomas Heath, November 25

Walt Disney Co. announced Friday that it had canceled plans to build a 500-room resort hotel at National Harbor, dealing a blow to an ambitious project that is seen as an integral part of the economic future of Prince George’s County.

The Disney brand was expected to catapult National Harbor and Prince George’s to a higher class of national tourist destination. In the Washington region, the harbor is billed as one of the few places people can shop, see a show, host a large business conference and have plenty of affordable options to stay overnight within walking distance.

The loss hits home just as the development, majority-owned by the Peterson Cos., was recovering some positive buzz. It got off to a slow start in 2008, running immediately into a severe economic downturn.

“We are disappointed,” Jon Peterson, senior vice president of the Peterson Cos., said Friday. But he added that “there was always a little bit of uncertainty” over whether Disney would follow through after the company bought the land.

Prince George’s and the Peterson Cos. had ballyhooed Disney’s May 2009 purchase of 11 acres for $11 million as a validation of their vision for the 300-acre site.

The county, which borders the District on the east, is home to many prosperous African Americans and to the Washington Redskins’ FedEx Field. But unlike neighboring Montgomery County and Northern Virginia, it has struggled to draw the big-name national businesses that often contribute to robust tax bases.

That is why National Harbor, in southern Prince George’s, has become so important. If its 8 million square feet of residential, office, retail and hotel space are fully developed, the venture could generate $100 million or more a year in tax revenue, Peterson said.

But the harbor has had mixed success in persuading national retailers to open stores there and has faced some head winds in encouraging families to buy condominium units there. It is not readily accessible by Metro or by car from Northern Virginia and parts of Maryland. With only one-third of the development completed, about $2.2 billion has been spent.

County officials and the Peterson Cos. had staked a lot on the Disney project.

Chairman Milton V. Peterson, who has invested hundreds of millions on National Harbor, wooed Disney for several years and hosted Disney’s chief executive, Robert A. Iger, on a visit to the site.

Disney’s parcel sits on a rise at the top of a tree-lined promenade named American Way. It looks north toward the District and overlooks the National Harbor complex and the Potomac.

The Peterson Cos. is in discussions to repurchase the Disney parcel and reincorporate it into the developer’s long-term strategic plan for National Harbor.

Despite his disappointment at Disney’s pulling out, Peterson said, “We will take this in stride and move on to other opportunities. . . . We have the flexibility to change uses overnight.”

BrerGnat
11-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Although somewhat disappointing, after having driven around this area over the past few months, I'm not really surprised. The national harbor really is not in the best location. It's difficult to get to, traffic is always a nightmare, and there's really no easy way to get into the city. I think Disney was smart to pull out of this one.

iceicebritney
12-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I agree with you completely. There are so many better locations.