PDA

View Full Version : Am I being mean?

KAT1811
05-17-2009, 02:02 PM
We are heading to the World in November for two weeks. :joy: Week one we are a party of 5 (DH, DD#2 4 turining 5 on our trip, DD#3 2 3/4, and DS 8 months at time of travel). Week 2 we are a party of 8 (adding in DD#1 13 and my parents). DD#1 cannot miss too much school :write: so by meeting up with us she'll only miss 4 days instad of 9.

We are staying at OKW in a studio Week #1 and a Two Bedroom Villa Week #2. I am thinking that we would all be much better off if my parents got their own accomodations(assuming they actually come, mom got laid off so that might impact their trip). I think we need our own space but I fear that I am being mean :thedolls:. We do A LOT with my parents :crowd:, a bit too much maybe, and think that DH and I need to start branching out on our own. We went to WDW last year without them (for the first vacation alone ever) and really enjoyed the quality family time we had :grouphug: . I am not opposed completely that they are joining us this year but think that we need our space as a family unit. What are your thoughts? :help:

Leighler
05-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't think that's mean at all. It's your vacation and you want to enjoy it. You're paying a lot of money to go down there and if you want your own space you should have it. They should understand and might even want their space as well....hopefully! ;)

spoiledraf
05-17-2009, 03:17 PM
We had booked a group of 9 in a BC 2 BR villa. My wife and I, my son, his wife and two kids and my daughter, her hubby and son. The kids are all under 5. We were going to give the kids the BRs and we we going to use the sofa bed. It would have saved some money but we would have probably lost our minds. Too many people in too small a space and not being used to everyone elses habits. Not to mention, Nana and Papa had no bathroom readily accessable in the middle of the night :blush: We opted out for three seperate rooms. I think mom and dad will appreciete your plan to be seperate but equal. :thumbsup:

BluewaterBrad
05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Oh gosh.... i feel your pain. Eventually you will have to break away a little. Most of all.......... Have fun!!:mickey:

Jen C.
05-18-2009, 10:06 AM
If your parents are the ones who will be looking after your DD #1 the week prior, then I would suggest doing whatever works better and more cost effective for them. While I agree that it is "your" vacation, I think that you may "owe" them if they've helped make the first part of that vacation possible. Just my opinion.

;)

Live4WDW
05-18-2009, 10:54 AM
If your parents are the ones who will be looking after your DD #1 the week prior, then I would suggest doing whatever works better and more cost effective for them. While I agree that it is "your" vacation, I think that you may "owe" them if they've helped make the first part of that vacation possible. Just my opinion.

;) Could'nt have said it better.:mickey:

Checkers
05-18-2009, 11:15 AM

;)

I agree. Since your mother lost her job, perhaps you could treat them to their own room especially if they are looking after DD#1 for the week. I know that my DH & I when we travel with family always have our own room. Always nice to have your own space at the end of the day!

As for being mean, no, I don't think you are being mean but I am wondering who did the inviting of your parents? Did you invite them or did they invite themselves? That would answer your question. Since your mother lost her job they may opt not to go and that would solve your dilemma.

MNNHFLTX
05-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I can understand your desire to have a little space for your family to spread out. If the plans have already been put into place for this trip, though, and your parents are expecting to stay with you, I wouldn't rock the boat--it's bound to cause hurt feelings. You can always set the stage on this trip for future trips by commenting on crowded the accommodations are starting to get because of how big the family is growing. Then when you start planning another trip, lay it out right at the beginning that it would work out best for your parents to have their own accommodations this time around. Just my opinion.:mickey:

KAT1811
05-18-2009, 01:15 PM
A few details that may affect your thoughts:

My parents invited themselves along. We typically travel to the World together (although we went alone last year for two glorious weeks) so it is more open invite than specific invitaions by either one of us. We travel everywhere together. Everywhere, all the time. She is determined to come (I don't blame her nor am I upset at her determination just feel torn) while I would prefer to have my family to myself. I guess I'm feeling a little bad about wanting to be alone.

They may be "watching" our daughter for the first week but it isn't very different than usual as the children sleep over their house often (they only live a few miles from us). My aunt has also offered to let her stay with her, DD's best friend's mother has said the same, and there is always my in-laws (also right down the street from us and my MIL is retired) so there will most likely be a bit of moving around during the week. She is a gypsy and loves to travel so it would be like a minivacation for her alothough she is still home.

We have been spending too much time together and are having more disagreements than normal so I think that close quarters may be a recipe for disaster. We usually have connecting rooms but can always get away from each other. I am SO afraid to fight on vacation, I'd lose it since this is the only time we get to spend together as DH works 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week from March until November and keeps a rather insane schedule the rest of the year but not as bad. Oh, the joys of owning your own company.

We are "renting" a friend of DH and mine's DVC points. The cost is very reasonable and we are saving a TON of money on the accomodations. For week #2 DH, the baby and I will take the master, the other three children will take the second bedroom (so they can go to bed early) and then we offered to let my parents stay with us on the couch bed in the living room. My mother was a bit put off that DH and I were not giving them the master bedroom "so you're going to stick your father and I on the couch?" Dad was fine with that (he is a smoker :sick: and gets up at night to smoke so this way he can go outside and not bother anyone.)

Mom stated that our friends were saving us a ton of money but not them. I really feel that she is being ungrateful and does not appreciate the chance we have to stay in such fabulous accomodations. I guess I feel like if that is the way she feels then she can get her own room. They cannot afford to stay at OKW with us so that would put them downriver at POR.

So given the new insight mean or not mean?

Checkers
05-18-2009, 01:51 PM
I agree. Since your mother lost her job, perhaps you could treat them to their own room especially if they are looking after DD#1 for the week. I know that my DH & I when we travel with family always have our own room. Always nice to have your own space at the end of the day!

As for being mean, no, I don't think you are being mean but I am wondering who did the inviting of your parents? Did you invite them or did they invite themselves? That would answer your question. Since your mother lost her job they may opt not to go and that would solve your dilemma.

Not mean!:mickey:

Woozle
05-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I feel your pain. My kids (DDs 2 & 9), DH, and I live with my parents (it saves us money and helps out my Mom with my 8 & 10 yo sisters and my dad who has early onset Alzheimers). We also feel like it would be nice to do something without the rest of my family. DH isn't even going to DW with us in a few weeks or trick or treating at DLR in Oct.
It really sounds like you could use the space. You may want to consider taking a "surprise vacation" to everyone but you and DH, so that way no one can tag along. I had to do that in March so that I could meet up with friends at DLR with just my kids.
Good Luck and no matter what enjoy your time together. :balloon:

KAT1811
05-18-2009, 02:48 PM
It really sounds like you could use the space. You may want to consider taking a "surprise vacation" to everyone but you and DH, so that way no one can tag along.

That is how we got away last year alone! Funny you said that. None of our children knew until we were on our way to the airport! Everyone else found out a little sooner!