PDA

View Full Version : 8th grade grad gift

bibbidiboo3
05-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Looking for advice on an appropriate gift for 8th grade graduation for niece and nephew (different families). Money - how much? Or a gift certificate? Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks! :blush:

dnickels
05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
20-30 bucks I would guess? I think cash is an easier gift to give than a gift card.

It's interesting how things change, I'm not THAT old, but when I was in school I'd never even heard or thought of jr. high graduation or grade school graduation or kindergarten graduation or preschool graduation. I think after 8th grade finished I may have had a few days off then it was time to start summer work on the farm.

Disney Doll
05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
I was wondering about a HS grad gift for a nephew. I was thinking $50. We've had no contact with him for the last 6 years so I don't want to do anything extravagant, but I do want to give something. Honestly I was a little surprised when we received the graduation announcement. I'm clueless.

When I graduated junior high (1995) it was just another day.

NotaGeek
05-15-2009, 02:46 PM
8th grade graduation? I hate these new traditions of unmerited graduation -- graduation is HIGH SCHOOL or COLLEGE. Finishing 8th grade is nothing special, and shouldn't be an considered a milestone IMO. I mean graduating kindergarten is cute ... but 8th grade? Come on.

If I were you I would send them a card that says good job, or how about a book or a new back pack for the kid to use in 9th grade? If you must send cash $10 would be my limit. It's 8th grade, not Harvard.

For high school ... don't you remember? You send out a million announcements in hopes for cold hard cash ... $50 is more than appropriate.

SBETigg
05-15-2009, 02:53 PM
The 8th Grade graduation is a big deal around here. They even did it when I was a kid. Any reason to celebrate, why not? Just another rite of passage. Give what you feel comfortable giving. Instead of giving money, I would suggest some sort of keepsake to commemorate the occasion. Perhaps an engraved pen or charm for a bracelet, something like that (and you may look thoughtful without spending as much as you would feel the need to spend if you gave cash). The standard money gift around here seems to be about $50, twice as much for high school.

vicster
05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
I usually give $25.00 for eigth grade grad, $50.00 for HS grad, and $100.00 for college grad.

Another idea for 8th grade grad would be a sweatshirt for their high school.

Mickey'sGirl
05-15-2009, 03:03 PM
The 8th Grade graduation is a big deal around here. They even did it when I was a kid. Any reason to celebrate, why not? Just another rite of passage. Give what you feel comfortable giving. Instead of giving money, I would suggest some sort of keepsake to commemorate the occasion. Perhaps an engraved pen or charm for a bracelet, something like that (and you may look thoughtful without spending as much as you would feel the need to spend if you gave cash). The standard money gift around here seems to be about $50, twice as much for high school.
Ditto. It was a big deal for us some 25+ years ago. My niece is graduating from Grade 8, and Elementary School in June. We are proud of her, and will be giving her $50 to show her so.

crazypoohbear
05-16-2009, 08:27 AM
My DS is graduating from 8th grade on June 6th.
He attends a catholic school that only goes to 8th grade (the public high school starts in 8th grade). HE has been at this school for 10 years. It is all he knows and it will be sad when he leaves.

There is a graduation ceremony with the kids in graduation gowns taking place at the 4:30 mass. They receive diplomas, tassles etc.
I can't wait for it. We will have a party for him afterwards at the house.

He will also have a graduation dance, they go on a class trip and have awards night!

When I was growing up we didn't have graduation from 8th grade but I didnt' attend a catholic school either, I thought it was just something that catholic schools did but I have heard of other 8th grade graduations.
I know that my DS is hoping for gifts of cash becuase we leave for a cruise to Bermuda 6 days after graduation!!!

lulu'smom
05-16-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm glad I found this post. My older niece graduates 8th grade this year, and I didn't realize I was supposed to give her anything.:blush:

Magic Smiles
05-16-2009, 09:26 AM
My DS is graduating from 8th grade on June 6th.
He attends a catholic school that only goes to 8th grade (the public high school starts in 8th grade). HE has been at this school for 10 years. It is all he knows and it will be sad when he leaves.

There is a graduation ceremony with the kids in graduation gowns taking place at the 4:30 mass. They receive diplomas, tassles etc.
I can't wait for it. We will have a party for him afterwards at the house.

He will also have a graduation dance, they go on a class trip and have awards night!

When I was growing up we didn't have graduation from 8th grade but I didnt' attend a catholic school either, I thought it was just something that catholic schools did but I have heard of other 8th grade graduations.
I know that my DS is hoping for gifts of cash becuase we leave for a cruise to Bermuda 6 days after graduation!!!

When I was growing up (a long time ago), we also had a Grade 8 Grad and I didn't go to a catholic school. When DS graduated Grade 8 (3 years ago), also after being at the school since Kindergarten, they had Grad photos taken with the cap, gown and diploma, a trip, a ceremony with reception and then off to a pool party for the kids. It is a BIG deal here, especially for the girls with many parents spending LOTS on their dresses, hair and whatever else a girl my require. However, not as big a deal as a high school grad. Apparently they go on for days. It was a bigger deal for us as DS was the Valedictorian and was receiving awards. Funny though, for the life of me I don't remember what we gave him as a gift. The only other gift he received was money from his Grandmother.

For a niece and nephew, I would probably go with a gift card to some place that they really like. Even to a restaurant, if they like to eat out with their friends.

crazypoohbear
05-16-2009, 07:57 PM
When I was growing up (a long time ago), we also had a Grade 8 Grad and I didn't go to a catholic school. When DS graduated Grade 8 (3 years ago), also after being at the school since Kindergarten, they had Grad photos taken with the cap, gown and diploma, a trip, a ceremony with reception and then off to a pool party for the kids. It is a BIG deal here, especially for the girls with many parents spending LOTS on their dresses, hair and whatever else a girl my require. However, not as big a deal as a high school grad. Apparently they go on for days. It was a bigger deal for us as DS was the Valedictorian and was receiving awards. Funny though, for the life of me I don't remember what we gave him as a gift. The only other gift he received was money from his Grandmother.

For a niece and nephew, I would probably go with a gift card to some place that they really like. Even to a restaurant, if they like to eat out with their friends.

I guess it's all where you come from. I'm really glad that my DS is having a graduation and that we get to see him receive his Diploma.
My In laws are in their 80's and I don't know if they will be around in 4 years to witness his high school graduation :(
So this might be it for them.
My oldest DS didn't participate in his HS graduation (LONG, story,bad school, bad principal) but he also had his 8th grade graduation (same school as the youngest)
I am looking forward to it.
I know he won't be valedictorian or salutatorian but it will still be special.
There were some parents that were talking about renting a limo for the graduation dance!!
I said no way am I paying for a limo to drive my 14 year old to a dance in the cafa/gym/atorium!!!
I'm happy that your son's graduation was so special, I bet you really enjoy the memories!!

Magic Smiles
05-17-2009, 04:49 PM
My In laws are in their 80's and I don't know if they will be around in 4 years to witness his high school graduation :(
So this might be it for them.
I'm happy that your son's graduation was so special, I bet you really enjoy the memories!!

Yes it will be wonderful for the in laws to see the graduation. My Mother also was invited to DSs Grade 8 Grad and was so proud of him. She won't get to see him graduate high school as she passed away last Nov.
I have heard of kids from other schools renting limos for grade 8..........sorry that is a bit too much.

HollyB
05-24-2009, 10:36 AM
My twins are being promoted from 8th grade this year. We've decided to give each of them a T shirt with the logo of the local high school. To me it says, "Congrats, you did good, but it ain't over yet!" :D

Since I expect them to at least get a 4 year degree (and both are making noises about grad school already), I don't want to make too big a deal about 8th grade.

MaryPoppinsFan
05-25-2009, 10:39 AM
My son is graduating 8th grade on June 4th and it's a big deal at our small Lutheran school. in fact our school is combining with another Lutheran school in the area next fall so after 52 years this will be the last graduating class from Hosanna-Tabor school. he was confirmed last weekend which is an even bigger deal and we had a huge party after that, so the grade school graduation we'll just have the school reception afterwards. I'm sure he'll get at least 25.00 from his family.
The hard part is we had his confirmation, his birthday is the 30th and graduation the 4th. going to be an expensive month. plus we leave for Florida on the 5th.
on a side note our family is adopting our 10 month old foster child. we figured out that when my son graduates high school in 2013, his sister will graduate 8th grade and the baby will graduate will kindergarten. Talk about expensive!! :) :)

crazypoohbear
05-25-2009, 06:23 PM
My son is graduating 8th grade on June 4th and it's a big deal at our small Lutheran school. in fact our school is combining with another Lutheran school in the area next fall so after 52 years this will be the last graduating class from Hosanna-Tabor school. he was confirmed last weekend which is an even bigger deal and we had a huge party after that, so the grade school graduation we'll just have the school reception afterwards. I'm sure he'll get at least 25.00 from his family.
The hard part is we had his confirmation, his birthday is the 30th and graduation the 4th. going to be an expensive month. plus we leave for Florida on the 5th.
on a side note our family is adopting our 10 month old foster child. we figured out that when my son graduates high school in 2013, his sister will graduate 8th grade and the baby will graduate will kindergarten. Talk about expensive!! :) :)

WOW, I thought my June was busy, you beat me!
Congrats on the "new" baby and the graduation.
I'm glad that your schools combined to keep the school going. It's not ideal but at least there will be a church school to go to.
Have a great time with all your celebrations.

MaryPoppinsFan
05-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks crazypoohbear! We are going to have a great time. I didnt even mention my daughters 10th birthday is June 1st :) but I love all the activity. I'm also hoping to start a new job as I have interviewed twice and they are checking my references. :)

we prayed hard about staying with the new school but the church is truely our home so we'll stay.

SBETigg
05-26-2009, 12:40 AM
My twins are being promoted from 8th grade this year. We've decided to give each of them a T shirt with the logo of the local high school. To me it says, "Congrats, you did good, but it ain't over yet!" :D

Since I expect them to at least get a 4 year degree (and both are making noises about grad school already), I don't want to make too big a deal about 8th grade.

Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any degree of correlation between big celebrations for 8th grade graduation and ceasing to further one's education. My son had a large celebration for 8th grade graduation and he is headed to university in the fall and plans to go on to study law. My daughter also had a big 8th grade grad event (our public school really makes a big deal of it) and yet she also plans to head to college and she's an outstanding violinist.

I'm pretty sure telling them they weren't done yet wouldn't have been any more of a motivator than celebrating their accomplishments so far.

Melanie
05-26-2009, 04:37 AM
8th grade graduation? I hate these new traditions of unmerited graduation -- graduation is HIGH SCHOOL or COLLEGE. Finishing 8th grade is nothing special, and shouldn't be an considered a milestone IMO. I mean graduating kindergarten is cute ... but 8th grade? Come on.

AGREED 100%!!!!!!!!!!

Tinkerfreak
05-26-2009, 10:04 AM
My DD is ending 8th grade next month and there is no graduation but there is a semi-formal dance that only 8th graders can attend and only from her school. I love that they have a no-limo policy at this age. I think things are getting so out of control that by the time a kid does graduate high school or go to high school prom they have allready done the limo thing and it is not so special to them. If they have a graduation cermemony for every milestone it makes high school graduation just another graduation. I am proud of my daughter and we are having fun shopping for a dress for the dance and her and her friends are going to have fun getting ready for the dance together. I don't think they are missing out by not having a graduation ceremony, they are still excited to be starting high school next year.
My opinion is just my opinion and not in any way meant to critisize anyone. I hope everyone enjoys their graduation however they choose to celebrate it!!!:thumbsup: