PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan... 1997

Bass T-bone
05-15-2009, 11:38 AM
We went to WDW on our honeymoon back in 1997 and I could swear that the dining plan was all you could eat back then. Or maybe it was part of a honeymoon deal... Can anybody confirm this?

Rhetoric2000
05-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Quite simply, the dining plan - in any form remotely similar to the current one - did not exist in 1997.

Maybe there was an ultra-premium service that has passed me by (I'm sure you would remeber it if there was); otherwise I'm not sure what you're thinking of.

Bass T-bone
05-15-2009, 11:53 AM
I remember putting the meals on our room key (card) but it seemed like it was all the food you could eat.

Rhetoric2000
05-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah, you have always been able to do that (or at least for a long time). Depending on the circumstance you can charge pretty much anything you get in the parks to your "central" hotel bill for the length of your stay: you can do the same with retail purchases as well.

But you still had to pay for all the food when you checked out of the hotel.

Bass T-bone
05-15-2009, 12:03 PM
That must have been it, thanks...

ThanxForNoticin
05-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Over the years, there have been a number of plans and packages available at Disney. I can remember back as far as around 1980 when we were there, had pre-purchased a dining plan for the length of our trip, and that plan included 3 full meals each day. I think we had coupons we needed to hand in for each meal. Disney has adjusted these plans, perhaps even eliminated them for periods of time, but they always seem to come back in some form.

Seasonscraps
05-15-2009, 12:37 PM
For our HM in 2002, we had a package that included Magical Points that could be exchanged for TS meals, merchandise and maybe activities. I want to say we had something like that for a trip in 2001 as well but I am not 100% certain.

We had two points per person per day. The point included non-alcoholic beverages, appetizer, entree, dessert and tip - just like the DDP when it was first rolled out.

I don't know if this was available in 1997.

TheRustyScupper
05-15-2009, 01:01 PM
We went to WDW on our honeymoon back in 1997 and I could swear that the dining plan was all you could eat back then. Or maybe it was part of a honeymoon deal... Can anybody confirm this?

1) Yes, food was included within several past packages.
2) There have been dining programs, all the way up to the "Grand Plan".
3) They even had the "Honeymoon Grand Plan".
4) It is just that WDW never called them add-on plans like DDP.
5) They were really pricey, but all your food was included.

ThanxForNoticin
05-15-2009, 03:28 PM
1) Yes, food was included within several past packages.
2) There have been dining programs, all the way up to the "Grand Plan".
3) They even had the "Honeymoon Grand Plan".
4) It is just that WDW never called them add-on plans like DDP.
5) They were really pricey, but all your food was included.

Grand Plan - yes, that sounds very familiar. We only did it one year, because not only was it pricey, but we seemed to spend 12 hours a day in restaurants!

DisneyWFan
05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I think there was another plan called the white glove plan dont through American Express Travel and the American Epress Card

TheRustyScupper
05-15-2009, 07:48 PM
I think there was another plan called the white glove plan dont through American Express Travel and the American Epress Card

1) The White Glove Plan was a discount plan if you used AMEX.
2) Discounts ranged from 5%-20% for food and merchandise.
3) There was also a resort room discount, if available.
4) However, you got a free dessert with a $50 meal purchase.

Maleficent's Dad
05-17-2009, 08:01 AM
In addition to the plans that TheRustyScupper mentioned, Disney used to have an add-on called the "food & fun" option. This could be added on to a Disney package in the 1990's.

You received coupons to redeem - two meal coupons, and two "fun" coupons per night of your stay.

The meal coupons entitled you to one sit-down meal. So with this option, you had two sit-downs daily.

The fun coupons were for things like the water sprites, horseback riding, etc...

jszczur5
05-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Grand Plan - yes, that sounds very familiar. We only did it one year, because not only was it pricey, but we seemed to spend 12 hours a day in restaurants!

12 hours a day in Disney restaurants sounds fine to me. Hubby and I are going this year without kids - just for the dining. I'm sure I'll persuade him to go on some attractions with me, but that will be just to fill time before our next meal!

spoiledraf
05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
In addition to the plans that TheRustyScupper mentioned, Disney used to have an add-on called the "food & fun" option. This could be added on to a Disney package in the 1990's.

You received coupons to redeem - two meal coupons, and two "fun" coupons per night of your stay.

The meal coupons entitled you to one sit-down meal. So with this option, you had two sit-downs daily.

The fun coupons were for things like the water sprites, horseback riding, etc...

We did a food and fun card deal in 95, I don't recall any "Coupons" though. We ate pretty much anything we wanted any where we wanted but as for the fun part, it was a pretty miserable rainy trip and we didn't do much more than use the boats.

ThanxForNoticin
05-20-2009, 12:50 PM
12 hours a day in Disney restaurants sounds fine to me. Hubby and I are going this year without kids - just for the dining. I'm sure I'll persuade him to go on some attractions with me, but that will be just to fill time before our next meal!

ENJOY!!