PDA

View Full Version : please help...leaving tomorrow morning!

Amy_617
05-15-2009, 11:14 AM
If I am putting this in the wrong section, please move it for me. I think this is where it should go though. :)

We are taking my son to WDW for his first trip and I just have a couple of questions. We are leaving tomorrow morning so any help would be greatly appricated.

1st....I have his umbrella stroller and his reg size stroller, he doesn't like the small umbrella stroller b/c there is no room for him to stretch out. My question is...is there a size limit on the strollers you are allowed to bring into the parks? It is not a huge stroller, but not the small umbrella strollers either. It is the kind that comes as a combo when you buy the infant carrier as well.

2nd...he is still on alittle bit of formula. He gets about 20 ounces a day, and will not take the powder kind that would be easy. He requires the ready to feed, which means I will need to take a cooler in with just his formula in it. It requires to stay cold. Is this going to be a problem?

3rd...He turns one on June 2nd, so we wanted to get his hair cut while we were there. Is the MK barber shop still open?

4th...(i know this is alot...sorry)If anyone has any advice on taking an 11 1/2 month old to disney..I would kindly take it. This is our 1st child...and the 1st time we are taking him, so it will be a different kind of experience for us.

Anyways, I know that was alot of questions, but I know this would be the place to post them to get the best answers. How great is intercot!! :cloud9:

Thanks in advance!! :thumbsup:

yjgirl32
05-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I can answer a couple of your questions: I would take the little bit bigger stroller. ou want to make your child as happy as possible.

The barber shop is still open to the best of my knowledge.

Not sure about the cooler- i'm sure someone will be able to let you know.

My advice is to just relax and have fun. Don't worry about things you are going to miss. You can see it next time.

Good luck

g8rgirl29
05-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I don't think bringing a small soft sided cooler with some ice packs will be a problem.

Strmchsr
05-15-2009, 11:40 AM
There's no size limit on the stroller size. We took our own full size stroller for DS3 this last week instead of the umbrella stroller because it's more comfortable and it was no problem.

As for the cooler...I can't remember for sure. I know you're allowed to bring your own food and drinks into the park, but for some reason I was thinking coolers weren't allowed. I'm not 100% sure about that, though. The tiny soft-shelled kind would probably be okay. However, one option for you might be to take the formula to the baby station that is in each park. I think they have a fridge where they could store it for you. Instead of carrying a cooler we took DS8's insulin to the first aid station and they stored it with no problem, so I imagine the baby center might do the same thing. Again, though, not 100% sure.

As mentioned, above, the barbershop is still open and great.

My only advice for a child that young is keep him on his schedule. Don't push in an effort to see "everything." At this age the trip is more for you, anyway, and he'll just enjoy whatever he sees. Let him get his naps, don't keep him up too late, and don't try to get him up at the crack of down. Again, just normal routine stuff. It'll keep him (and you) much happier throughout the vacation.

Another point (as a meteorologist and a parent) it's REALLY hot down there right now. Be sure to put a very high SPF sunscreen on and watch your son carefully to make sure he stays hydrated.

Have fun!!:mickey:

Amy_617
05-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks so much guys!! This helps so much! I just got off the phone with disney to double check on the cooler thing, and she said the baby care center cannot store anything for you, but I would be able to carry a small cooler in with his formula as long as no glass was envolved. Just wanted to post that just in case someone else had the same question I did. Anyways, thanks again!! Can't wait!! Too bad it is calling for t-storms all next week...oh well...we will still have a wonderful time!! :thumbsup:

Beast_fanatic
05-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Yes, the cooler if fine so longer as it is small enough to be held in one hand by one person and technically, it's not supposed to be on wheels (as pulling something behind you is a tripping hazard to others), but sometimes those do make it into the park.

In addition to glass, they also will not allow you to bring alcohol into the parks (not saying you were going to, just adding it as further clarification).

Strmchsr
05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Just wanted to post that just in case someone else had the same question I did. Anyways, thanks again!! Can't wait!! Too bad it is calling for t-storms all next week...oh well...we will still have a wonderful time!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for updating with what you found out.

And don't worry too much about those thunderstorms (check my forecast a the top of this forum). Most should be the afternoon variety which last less than an hour. It's not an all day thing. That's just normal Orlando summertime.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
05-15-2009, 01:25 PM
One suggestion I would have is to upgrade to park hoppers if you haven't already. That way you can go back to the hotel for a nap/relax for a few hours, then go back to the park(s).

We did this when dd was 3, and it worked out great.

Strmchsr
05-15-2009, 01:36 PM
One suggestion I would have is to upgrade to park hoppers if you haven't already. That way you can go back to the hotel for a nap/relax for a few hours, then go back to the park(s).

You can re-enter the same park during the day without park-hoppers. The park-hopper option is only needed for switching parks, not returning to the same park later in the day.

kakn7294
05-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Actually, there is a size limit on strollers but most modern strollers fall within the guidelines. I don't know the exact dimensions but basically, it must fit through the gate at the turnstiles at the park entrances. I'm sure your own stroller will be fine. When we had one like that, it was.

As far as advice on taking a baby that age, keep him out of the sun, get a raincover for his stroller and cover it whenever you go inside and have to leave the stroller outside, take advantage of baby swap when he's asleep so you can do the attractions he'd like when he's awake, use the baby centers as a cool and quiet space to take a little break - they don't let you stay longer than 30 min but it's a nice break, take familiar items from home - a favorite toy or blanket, take lots of pictures - my girls don't remember their trips when they were younger but they love the pictures, and relax and have fun!

KylesMom
05-15-2009, 03:40 PM
get a raincover for his stroller and cover it whenever you go inside

This is great advice - and with the # of birds around, it doubles as a seat protector. I can't tell you how many times I had to wash DS's stroller lining when we used to have it with us at Disney! :D

Relax and have the time of your lives! :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
05-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Stroller fan would be money well spent. :soapbox: Little ones can't fight the heat like we can. Also watch for those little feet sticking out getting sunburned during the naps--a lightweight cover would prevent this.

pixiesmimi
05-15-2009, 10:14 PM
We go to the Dollar Store and get a couple of the cheap rain ponchos. They are big enough to put over the whole stroller when you have to leave it outside to keep it dry in case of rain. Also covers baby if you are having to run through the showers. We never leave home without one or two and they have always worked for us. Try to park your stroller under cover if you can to keep it out of the sun or rain. Of course, the stroller fairies come along and move them once in a while so tie a ribbon or something on the handle so you will recognize yours immediately when it has been moved in the "stroller parking" area. Don't leave anything valuable in the stroller while on rides. There are always the lockers if you need to leave extra supplies or cooler there while in the park. DD has a soft sided cooler that is insulated and puts her food and formula in it with a frozen bottle of water and ice packs to keep cold. We never had a problem while at the parks all day. It fits in the basket under her stroller.

tjstrike
05-16-2009, 02:52 AM
Personnaly, I'd skip bringing your own stroller if you're staying at one of the WDW resorts. It's well worth the $5 bucks a day (or you can get a weekly rental rate also) and not have to fight with your stroller getting it on and off the bus. :thumbsup:

Have a great trip !!

Strmchsr
05-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Personnaly, I'd skip bringing your own stroller if you're staying at one of the WDW resorts. It's well worth the $5 bucks a day (or you can get a weekly rental rate also) and not have to fight with your stroller getting it on and off the bus. :thumbsup:

Strollers are actually $15/day for a single and $31/day for a double and the length-of-stay discount has been pretty much reduced to nothing. So, if you stay 3-4 days you could buy your own stroller for the price of renting one.

kakn7294
05-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Strollers are actually $15/day for a single and $31/day for a double and the length-of-stay discount has been pretty much reduced to nothing. So, if you stay 3-4 days you could buy your own stroller for the price of renting one.And not only that, the OP's child is rather young and those Disney strollers are NOT comfortable for an infant.

thejens
05-16-2009, 10:21 PM
We always bring our own stroller. It is much more comfortable and is also nice to be able to store stuff in the bottom and put our drinks in the cup holder. Also, it is nice to have a stroller at bus stops, on the monorail etc. One trick I learned is to bring a light weight water proof tote bag to keep all the stuff in (sun screen, hand sanitizer, snacks, bottles, souvenirs, camera, maps etc.) This way every time you have to fold up the stroller one parent takes baby and tote bag and the other quickly folds up the stroller. We use fanny packs for stuff we wouldn't want to leave in the stroller during a ride (dorky, but hands free is essential when you have a little one!) We did buy a new, lighter weight, but still reclining stroller after a couple of years because we got tired of the bulky and less agile stroller that came with the infant attachment.