PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me...

PixieMagic
05-14-2009, 07:35 PM
About Shades of Green? I know it's for military, but I can't seem to find any info on it? Does anyone know anything they could share and like/dislikes or where to find more information??

TammiMcMan
05-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Sorry I can't give you any specifics, but here is the website if you want to look through it, http://www.shadesofgreen.org/ .

deedeenmickey
05-14-2009, 09:01 PM
I have stayed at the Shades of Green 3 times. It is a really nice hotel. It is only for military and Department of Defense employees. It has I think 3 resturants, 2 pools and nice big rooms. It has it's own transportation system to the TTC and you get all of the benefits such as EMHs just as if you were staying at a Disney owned hotel.

I don't think anyone would be disappointed it has it's shops and such. It just lacks a little of the "magic". The employees are very helpful and friendly it just has that "structured" feel to it. It's hard to explain.

If you have specific questions just let me know.

Pirate Granny
05-14-2009, 11:06 PM
We stayed there last year around this time. I really liked the room and the size...bathroom was large...the room we had was in the older section and pretty far from the front desk and bus...that said...I would stay there again in a heartbeat...the price is right....Although our adult daughter felt it really lacked the Disney atmosphere, although I think 'cause we were checking into the GF after a few days at the Shades...it was the anticipation of getting to the GF.
:pirate:

pcoleman
05-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Love, Love, Love this resort. I am one of those people that does not need mickey mouse everywhere. I enjoy the lush feel of the place. Coming from northern Michigan, being surrounded by all the tropical feel is great. I can get all the "magic" in the parks all day long, its nice to come back to the resort and just relax. I have always felt very safe at this resort. We have taken many people with us when we go since we can reserve several room, everyone now picks it as their favorite. Our friends now compete to get spots with us. You cannot go wrong with SOG.

TheRustyScupper
05-15-2009, 10:41 AM
1) Shades of Green used to be the old Disney Inn.
2) They have the largest rooms on property.
3) Since they rehab'd the resort, it is gorgeous.
4) Plus, it is a super-duper deal for military folks.

wdwfansince75
05-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Shades of Green is a great place for those who qualify. The rooms, as stated above, are the largest on property. You can get more info, including room pictures, at their website.
Shadesofgreen.org
Also, allearsnet.com does have info, including reviews.

From our standpoint....
New wing is most convenient for garage or for buses. Buses need work: Buses run to/fm DHS and to/fm AK on hourly basis, and about e very 15 minutes to TTC...Last trip, we drove on several occasions (free parking at Parks), or used the more convenient bus to TTC, then bus to AK and DHS...
Poly is only a short walk away, and since we usually spent part of every day at MK, we made the walk practically every day...allowed stops at Capt Cook for Dole Whip!
Restaurants are not the best on property, but are very reasonably priced...and are rarely crowded....we used the buffet at least 4 times last trip, including a breakfast buffet the day we left. Evergreens is now closed, and we will miss it!

We prefer the new wing....DW loves to sit out, and feed the many birds, including turkeys, ducks, and ibises that come to chat. Grounds are clean.

There is no room tax on your rooms, so you pay the posted rate for your rank. No surprises at checking or check out! You do pay a daily parking fee ($5), but the parking garage makes parking most convenient for those who take advantage of free parking at the parks and waterparks....or DTD.

There is no tax on items, including alcoholic beverages, purchased from the conveneince store. The store does have limited supplies of souvenirs, including tee shirts, swimwear, cups, mugs, and watches. Also has baby supplies....convenient for us as we have brought infants to SoG on 2 occasions.

The tickets are cheaper here than any other source I have found...but remember if you want to upgrade tickets, or add days, you have to do so at SoG.

Items purchased in parks or DTD can be delivered to SoG....you pick them up at the desk, usually the next day.

Kids loved the pools, and rarely found them crowded.

With only one exception, we have found the guests here more polite, considerate, and quiet than at any of the other resorts.

Also be aware that each qualified guest can reserve up to 3 additional rooms during most of the year, or two additional rooms over the Christmas holidays.

PixieMagic
05-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the info and please keep it coming! Also, I know you can purchase park tickets there, but can you still purchase the dining plan or no? Is there still a ME? Not sure how it works when there is a non-Disney resort on Disney property....

wdwfansince75
05-15-2009, 12:11 PM
While you do get to use EMH, you can't use the Disney Dining Plan, and you cannot use ME...Those are for Disney Resorts only.

mejsimon
06-02-2009, 07:23 AM
I have stayed at SOG a few times. No free airport transportation but they do have a rental kiosk. Nice sized rooms. They do have a ticket booth with longs and a nice guest services (esp for off-site planning info). You can get tickets for non-Disney stuff too. You can join the extra Magic hours as for this purpose it is also considered on-site. This is a huge plus for us.
They have a nice fitness center, few places to eat-decent pools and the lack of Disneyness is actually not so bad for us. My son has some special needs and gets overwhelmed at times-this is a real nice get-away without being too far away. :mickey:
The lines at the bus are nowhere near like the resort parks. I did really like having the monorail at Contemporary. For my son that was like having a ride at the hotel.

mejsimon
06-02-2009, 07:24 AM
And from what I found when calling Disney for Priority Seating to the Dining Plan.

DisneyMiMi
06-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I agree with everyone else - it is nice to go back to a quite hotel and unwind after the excitement of the parks. I've stayed at SoG twice and enjoyed both times very much (planning my third trip this Oct). But I have to tell you my reason I like it so much - Queen Size Beds!! The rooms are spacious and with having to sleep with my five-year-old granddaughter that "travels" in her sleep all night, I definitely enjoyed the extra space.
I have nothing bad to say about this hotel so I hope you decide to try it. I think you will see why everyone is so complimentary.