PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Brown Derby

jrpersinger
05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
How is it? When I made my ADRs yesterday, that was all that was available in the Fantasmic Package. We wanted Mama Melrose. DH is not to thrilled about the sides, but he said all the entrees look great. Is is worth it? Do they have any alternatives for the sides?

Leighler
05-12-2009, 01:37 PM
I love the Brown Derby. I won't be going this year b/c I'm on the DDP and I don't really want to use 2 credits for it- I would go and maybe pay OOP- plus I want to try a bunch of new places. I LOVE the cobb salad. It's so yummy! I'm not sure about the sides. I seem to read a lot about restaurants being accomodating so you could certainly ask your server. :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
05-12-2009, 02:04 PM
The sides certainly do seem rather "fancy"... but they would most certainly switch out roasted potatoes or rice for the more exotic offerings. (We've never had an issue with it at other restaurants... can't imagine BD being different.)

jrpersinger
05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
The potatoes are the only thing that DH said he liked. He hates any sort of veggie other than potatoes. It all looks good to me. :)

SBETigg
05-12-2009, 02:58 PM
I love Brown Derby. It's the best in the Fantasmic offerings for us. Otherwise, we prefer other restaurants for 2 ts credits, but that's not to take anything away from Brown Derby. Good food, and it can be fun to see the occasional old-time Hollywood star swanning around. They don't appear regularly, but a Douglas Fairbanks jr. type showed up at our last Brown Derby meal.

I think they would allow substitutions, though it always strikes me as a shame to switch when the meal is so carefully prepared so that all the flavors and textures are complimentary. My thought is that it's only a side dish, try something new! But I'm guessing your husband won't agree with me there, and the main thing is that he should be happy with his meal :)

jrpersinger
05-12-2009, 03:12 PM
But I'm guessing your husband won't agree with me there, and the main thing is that he should be happy with his meal :)

LOL, No... No he won't. However, I do 100%. I love trying new food. I will always try anything once. I may prefer not to be told what it is until afterwards tho. ;)

I am really glad to hear this is a good choice. I had not looked into it before. And when they said it was the only available package that night, I was nervous about booking it. But even more nervous about not getting my FIL and SIL in to see Fantasmic! after I have raved about it for years. LOL

Disnamic Duo
05-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I think HBD is WAY better than Mama Melrose. As a matter of fact, it's my favorite restaurant in WDW (that we've been to so far). If your husband likes fish, I highly recommend the pan fried grouper.

ransam
05-12-2009, 04:28 PM
i loved the Brown Derby.
the atmosphere was really cool.. kind of an old hollywood feel....the cobb salad was incredible, and for desert try the grapefruit cake! it's really worth going off your diet for.

KatMark
05-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm in the minority here. We did not care for BD at all, and certainly do not think it is worth two table service credits per person. We were there at 1:00 in the afternoon with only five tables occupied and had absolutely horrible service. The food was mediocre at best--I sent mine back twice, and DH absolutely HATED the grapefruit cake (the smell made me nauseous).

rsumrall
05-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I LOVE the HBD (though I can live without the grapefruit cake). The pork tenderloin is a wonderful choice. I have eaten here 3 times and each time it has been the highlight of that particular trip.

DawsonAR
05-13-2009, 01:21 PM
We think it is great. We love the Cobb Salad.

Belster
05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
We like fun food options to try anytime we eat so do my children so we did not think twice about the odd side options and really enjoyed our dinner there in October. We will revisit every other trip.

They also have great service!!! Try the chop salad it is fab!!

Hope you enjoy it!!!

artyboy
05-13-2009, 04:54 PM
It's hands down the best place for lunch in WDW!

Always fabulous service and food...although, I'm certain that it may be on the high brow side for some folks taste!

Try it...you'll like it!