PDA

View Full Version : Surf Lessons

Frog
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
I remember on a vacation vid we received a few years back a clip of surffing lessons at one of the water parks...
Has anyone done this? Is it still available? How far in advance would one need to reserve a spot?
Thanks...

faline
05-12-2009, 12:32 PM
To my knowledge, this is still being offered. I've never done it though.

Surfing

Typhoon Lagoon offers high-performance surfing in the 2.75-million-gallon, temperature-controlled wave pool, for an additional fee.

Functions range from between three and three-and-a-half hours and are available before or after regular Park operating hours.
Right, left, and center break waves can be generated at heights of up to five feet. Refreshments are available.

Group size is limited to 10 to 20 surfers per booking.

Call the Typhoon Lagoon Surf hotline for more information at (407) WDW-SURF (939-7873).

disnewbie
05-17-2009, 12:47 AM
I checked on this last year for my husband, but unfortunately we had to reschedule our trip. If memory serves, the lessons start at 6:30 or 7am, are about $100, last for 2.5 hours (30 min instruction/2 hrs water time), and does not include park admission. Family can attend and watch from the "sidelines". I believe that you can make ressies 407-WDW-PLAY 45 or 90 days out. ...Hope that helps... :mickey:

dmosher
05-17-2009, 05:26 AM
Yep, it's still going. In fact the only reason I haven't tried it is the whole "how do I get there" thing.
:pipes:
D

Frog
05-18-2009, 10:20 AM
How cool would it be to do this as a family!!??
Don't know about an extra 500 to the vacation bottom line though...
Thanks for the info btw..

c&d
05-18-2009, 12:50 PM
We did it this April when we were down. It was great. It was me, DH and DS 10 yrs old. There were 9 others signed up making for a total of 12 in our group.

You will need to drive or take a taxi to TL. You have to be at TL at 6:45am to pay ($150/person) and sign all the legal stuff. After that's done they take you up to the water. You have about 15 mins. land training and then they put you in the water. You have a choice of the 3' wave or the smaller wave that comes after. Most of us took the smaller wave the first ride and then tried to larger one. There is one instructor on the deck and 2 instructors in the water. The in water instructors will ask which wave you want and will let you go at the right time. All the instructors were really good and really encouraging. You start really close to the back wall and go as far as the end of the wall. They put flags up to show you where you need to jump off the board. I rode a total of 12 waves during the time.

One thing I will say is it is tiring. Everytime you're getting up on your board you're doing a pushup and you have to lug it all the way back up to the deck. By my last ride over half of the folks were tired and not surfing any more.

There are 3 lifeguards on duty, one lucky one gets to spend the entire time in the water ducking the waves. There are also 2 photopass photographers there taking pictures and they'll give you the passes when they're done. We had a total of 7 cards by the time we were done surfing.

At the end they give you a "surficate" showing you took the course. They also walk you out of the TL and you then need to go purchase your admission tickets to the park.

We went in April and I think I reserved in February.

I highly recommend it.

Frog
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
that was a "totally awesome" report!
thanks for the great "vibes" man!
sounds like yall had a "tubular" time...
We may need to "check it out"

wendybird
05-18-2009, 03:51 PM
We too did this. We did have to drive to get there so early, but one thing I would like to add. Only my husband took the lessons, but my son and I went along to watch and take pictures (no charge). When the lessons are over, if you have a ticket to TL or an option on your parkhopper as we did, you can stay in the waterpark and you get to stake out your spot before everyone else is let in. Kinda Cool!!