PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Coming to All AirTran Flights

Ed
05-12-2009, 08:16 AM
AirTran Airways has plans to offer wireless, broadband Internet service to passengers on every flight by mid-summer.

Sara K. Clarke
Sentinel Staff Writer
7:00 AM EDT, May 12, 2009

Ready to fly and surf at the same time?

AirTran Airways said this morning that it plans to be the first major airline to offer wireless, broadband Internet service to passengers on every flight.

AirTran is hoping the service will enhance productivity for business travelers -- who can access their companies' virtual private networks from 30,000 feet -- and will entice leisure travelers who can check e-mail, shop online and surf the Web.

"We'll have the entire fleet done by mid-summer," said Kevin Healy, senior vice president of marketing and planning for the Orlando-based airline.

The price tag for the service ranges from $7.95 for wireless access with a smart phone or PDA to $12.95 for laptop access on a flight lasting more than 3 hours.

In a written release announcing the new service, Bob Fornaro, the airline's chairman, president and chief executive officer, said he expects having Wi-Fi on every flight will give AirTran "a distinct competitive advantage over other airlines."

AirTran is partnering with Aircell, an airborne communications provider, to offer the Gogo Inflight Internet service. According to Aircell's Web site, the Gogo service is currently available on 207 commercial aircraft.

caryrae
05-12-2009, 10:32 AM
How does it work getting Wi-Fi on a plane that is 30,000 feet high and going 500 mph's?

tinksmom02
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Jet Blue offers FREE WiFi on its flights.

When I read the email from AirTran, I thought it said they were offering it free, as well. Guess I was mistaken.

Ed
05-14-2009, 08:49 AM
How does it work getting Wi-Fi on a plane that is 30,000 feet high and going 500 mph's?

The connection is made via satellite; essentially, the airplane has an antenna on the roof that receives the signal, and users connect via a router inside the plane. The technology's been around for years. Same basic system is used aboard cruise ships.