PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Joke

jerrywilborn
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
My DS7 doesn't watch much TV or movies; not because we don't let him, but because he has very little interest in it.

We have a trip planned for October and unfortunately this means he wont "get" a lot of the rides and shows. What movies would you guys suggest we show him to let him in on the magic?

KylesMom
05-11-2009, 12:12 PM
You know, while there are so many character greetings that have to do with Disney-related movie characters, many of the actual attractions have nothing to do with Disney Movies - or in some cases, the movies came after the attractions (Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc).

For instance, you don't need to "see" anything to enjoy most of Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom (except for Toy Story - Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin comes to mind). Liberty Square, Frontierland and Adventureland are, for the most part, Disney originals which you don't need to watch anything to "get". Fantasyland has the most movie-related attractions (Snow White, Alice & Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan).

Same with Animal Kingdom - while many characters are represented from Lion King, Pocahantas, etcetera, most of the actual attractions will need no explanation from movies.

DHS is a bit different - but it is supposed to be a movie studio. Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Toy Story, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers - they are all represented here.

As long as your son has the Disney basics down (Mickey/Minnie/Goofy/Donald/Pluto), he's sure to have a blast! :mickey:

thejens
05-11-2009, 11:08 PM
My kids loved the Toy Story Movies and Peter Pan, but really I wouldn't worry about it. It is great that your child doesn't want to watch tv or movies. He will meet the characters for the first time in the parks and forever associate them with the fun he had there. I don't think kids have to be programmed into enjoying it by tv. Honestly, the less you have to stand in character lines and buy expensive character toys the better! Just have fun in the park!!!

disneynarula
05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Our DS who was four when we went was a total Pixar snob. I don't think he had ever seen any of the other animated features.
He loved all the "old school" rides like Peter Pan.

The theming is so great you don't have to "get it" to love it.

BMan62
05-13-2009, 07:54 AM
My DS7 doesn't watch much TV or movies; not because we don't let him, but because he has very little interest in it.

We have a trip planned for October and unfortunately this means he wont "get" a lot of the rides and shows. What movies would you guys suggest we show him to let him in on the magic?

First off, congratulations on having a child not addicted to the 'idiot box' or video games.

Don't 'force feed' him anything. The jokes are pretty much out there for anyone to pick up on. If he wants to know where they come from, or what they actually reference, it would be good to introduce him to the movies/shows once you get back home.

ryca1dreams
05-13-2009, 08:07 AM
The theming is so great you don't have to "get it" to love it.

True, but a ride like the Mad Tea Party just takes a different meaning after viewing Alice in Wonderland, etc.

But, you're right...WDW has its own kind of magic. Enjoy.

GrumpyFan
05-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Truthfully, it's really not necessary to have seen any of the movies to enjoy the attractions. It might help with familiarizing them with some of the characters, but it doesn't really add that much. In fact, I would say it might actually give them a different perspective having not seen the movies. There's no comparison of story line, so they can form their own version using their imagination. So, it could actually be a plus.

joonyer
05-13-2009, 05:07 PM
If you do choose to watch some Disney movies, I would select at least a few from among the following classics:

Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty or Snow White

Pinocchio, Peter Pan (has Tinkerbell) and Robin Hood

Dumbo, Sword in the Stone, Alice in Wonderland.

Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King

Toy Story, A Bug's Life

Mary Poppins, Pirates of the Caribbean, Swiss Family Robinson.

Wow when I started I didn't think this list would be long, but there are so many good ones. Too many to list.

Don't forget to try to find some Mickey Cartoons. Got to know the mouse. There are a couple of Movies with Mickey that would be good, Mickey's Christmas Carol, Once upon a Christmas, and Prince and the Pauper.

poeticeclipse
05-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I think as long as your son knows the main characters (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald, etc.) then you shouldn't be worried. You want your child to be able to say "Look! It's Goofy!" But, I don't think they need to be able to identify 'Smee' in order to enjoy themselves.

Why not buy a few Disney coloring books and let you kid have at it? I think just "seeing" the characters will be beneficial.

ransam
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
if you get the disney station on cable they show lots of cartoons so he can see MIckey and friends on Mickey's Clubhouse.

andreallybadeggs
05-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Good for him. Does he enjoy reading/being read to? We have books for just about every Disney film ever made. (In fact, our DD's first sight words were "Belle" and "Beast") You could do a Disney bedtime story per night that would introduce him to Disney/Pixar stories. Then, if he wants, show him videos of the stories he likes best. Be aware, though, that many of the videos are "in the vault."
Also, if he doesn't like sitting through entire films you might just show him clips so he's familiar with characters but not tied down so long. After he's been introduced to several of them he might also enjoy a game of "name that character". Use video clips or old fashioned picture flashcards.
In any case, pp's are correct. He'll have fun regardless so just enjoy yourselves.

Mrs Bus Driver
05-16-2009, 11:00 AM
He doesn't need to see the movies. The parks are fun enough without having seen them. And IMHO the cast members in the character costumes are great. If you want him to interact with characters he will have fun. The most important thing is all of you together having fun. :mickey:

Mousemates
05-16-2009, 11:55 AM
My list of must sees would be:

Toy Story (for Buzz and TSM)

Lilo and Stich (because if he hasn't seen the movie and doesn't know stich is "nice", it might freak him out a little bit.)

Song of the South - to understand the story line on Splash mountian

Peter Pan

Snow white

And a couple of the Disney classic cartoon discs (say volume one mickey and vol 2 Donald and vol 4 chip and dale) to introduce him to the "real stars of WDW"

DD would suggest Cinderella (what the castle is about) and Sleeping Beauty (if you plan to go to see Fantasmic)

As others have said...seeing them is not necessary to enjoy the parks...but having seen them does make the park more enjoyable (imo).

thejens
05-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Just had to add that although I do not think seeing movies is as at necessary, it can be fun. I am sort of a Disney dork, and admit to making my boys watch Snow White before our first trip because it was Walt's first. I told them how before this movie there had never been an animated, musical in color movie before and that Walt Disney was an amazing artist and inventor. It also told him the story of how Walt took his children to crummy little amusement parks and wished there was something nicer and better for the whole family. I liked it that when we went to WDW they understood a little bit of how the magic started. I also encouraged the boys to look for hidden Mickeys. They had never really watched Mickey Mouse cartoons before, but the Disney characters are ubiquitous in our culture at this point I think. My boys also liked the movie Swiss Family Robinson and thought it was cools seeing the tree house.

dmosher
05-16-2009, 10:35 PM
I agree, especially at that age that watching the TV shows or movies will not make that much difference. Sure certain things may enhance the stories of the rides, but who cares who Jack Sparrow is at that age when you are surrounded by Pirates! Right? Of course knowing who Buzz Lightyear is may help, but truthfully, Space Ranger Spin actually has little to do with the Toy Story films, so it probably won't matter. Disney does this on purpose as tie-ins to the films but not so much that they are a necessity. DW has not seen MANY Disney films, but she Loves the rides and she is in her 30's! Where as I am the same age ands have seen pretty much EVERY Disney film and am just as excited as her in WDW.
No, I honestly do not believe it will have that much effect on his experience. In the end he may not have any desire to wait in line to see certain characters (a blessing for you no doubt) and when it is over, you may find him WANTING to see a few films, but that's about it. Nothing wrong with that!
:pipes:
D

biodtl
05-17-2009, 10:26 PM
He doesn't need to see anything to "get it", but if you want to familiarize him w/o using the tv/movie angle, why not borrow some Disney books from the library and read them together?

jerrywilborn
05-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks, ya'll, for all the replies... Great suggestions. I appreciate it; and I'll let you all know how it goes trying to indoctrinat... err familiarize him with Disney like I have been indoctrinat... err... familiarized.

TwinniesNMeLoveWDW
05-18-2009, 10:25 AM
My daughters were pretty much up on the Disney animated classics before I took them when they were 7, but the one thing I thought they may not get was the Swiss Family Treehouse. I bought the movie for them before that trip, and they loved it! Then as we were walking through the treehouse it all made sense to them. I was afraid that without having seen the movie, it might be boring for them.

BluewaterBrad
05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
How about Nemo or the Lion King?:mickey:

GAN
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd second Finding Nemo. Plus it's a great movie and I think your son would enjoy "Turtle Talk w/Crush" when at Epcot -given his age.

Kathy Jetson
05-23-2009, 12:58 AM
My ds5 could have cared less about Mary Poppins last year when we were there. After having just seen the movie he can't wait to meet her and get a pic with her.

jerrywilborn
05-24-2009, 01:06 AM
So we all sat down and watched Lion King tonight and he's now decided that he wants to be Timon and I'll be Pumba for MNSSHP.

I'm starting to wonder if this was such a great idea. ;)