PDA

View Full Version : lodging help - family of 7 with grandparents and kids

embutler
05-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Hello! I have never posted anything before but I am planning a trip to WDW for May 2010 and I need lodging suggestions. I will be traveling with my husband, three children (1.5 year old, 4 year old and 7 year old) and my parents. Money is a major consideration but so is proximity to the parks and comfortable rooms. My parents have specifically requested a queen or king bed. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to stay? Or any other tips? Thank you for the help!!!

g8rgirl29
05-10-2009, 12:42 PM
You could consider the cabins at Fort Wilderness or any of the 2 bdr villa's through DVC. I will send you a pm with a few links.

tinkerbellybutton
05-10-2009, 01:56 PM
WELCOME!!!

We actually had a party of 7 in 2005 when we took the kids, sister and parents along with us.
If cost is an issue I would say check into value resorts. We found it was cheaper to get 2 adjoining rooms at Pop Century (or any of the values) than it would have been to go anywhere else on property.
The little one can be in a port-a-crib that they provide, the others can share a bed, you and your hubby will have a bed and the grandparents will have their own room. Another bonus to the adjoining rooms is that maybe the grandparents will give you a night break and let the kids share a room with them for the night. (our kids loved that)
Have great trip!

playdead88
05-10-2009, 02:58 PM
i would go with a 2 bedroom villa at any of the dvc resorts :thumbsup:

TheMartellFamily
05-10-2009, 05:08 PM
The two value resorts is a good idea since then you will have two bathrooms. Make sure the rooms open inbetween them. The other option is All Star family suites. They have pack and plays for each room so let them know and it will be brought to the room. Hope this helps.

Daddy Mouse
05-10-2009, 07:10 PM
The best deal will be the All Star family Suites and a King room for your parents. Have fun planning.

sleepingbooty
05-10-2009, 07:55 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!

Since you said cost is an issue, I would definitely NOT recommend a 2 bedroom villa at one of the DVC resorts - very pricey. I think your most reasonable option would be to book two rooms at the resort of your choice, and request adjoining or connecting rooms. This has worked very well for us in the past when we've went with my parents. They've always honored our request. We'd like to try a cabin at Fort Wilderness, but we are worried about how that would work with 4 adults, 2 kids and only one bathroom. We prefer to stay onsite, and that's what I always recommend to others, but if you are considering offsite options, you could always rent a house or condo that would accommodate your whole party together for a very reasonable price. Good luck, and have fun planning!

SFTrny
05-10-2009, 09:35 PM
You might consider the newly refurbished Treehouse Villas.

TammiMcMan
05-10-2009, 10:48 PM
With one of your children under the age of 3, you could simply book 2 rooms at any of the value resorts. Unfortunately, you can't guarantee king beds or connecting rooms, but you can put in a request. Value season rack rate for 2009 is $82/standard and $97/preferred. So, estimated $200 for the two rooms per night.

An option if you want to guarantee a king bed, is to upgrade to a moderate resort like the Caribbean Beach. Value season rack rate for 2009 is $149/standard view, $175/king, water view and preferred. Here estimated cost per night for the two rooms would be $325.

As others have pointed out, the pro's with getting 2 rooms, is 2 bathrooms and possibly the connecting door in between. If you want to all be in one room, you're limited to just a few options. The first is the Fort Wilderness cabins which accommodate 6. There's a bedroom with a double bed and bunk beds, plus a living room with a pull down double murphy bed. That runs $265/night during the value season. You have the added convenience of being close to the Magic Kingdom and having a full kitchen. The 2 bedroom villas would be significantly more expensive at around $790/night.

embutler
05-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!! This site is great. I am planning to look into all options. Here are a few more questions-

1) Value resorts - I realize these are the lowest priced but did anyone find that the transportation was a big hassle? We have 3 young children and want to be able to come back for afternoon rest. We stayed in the WL lodge last May so perhaps we are "spoiled." Does anyone know if we can get a family suite for my family of five with an adjoining king room for my parents?

2) DVC rentals - Can someone explain the best way to make this work. I understand that it is cheaper to rent from an owner directly. What is the best way to do that? Can you still make ADR and receive other benefits?

Thanks so much!!!

g8rgirl29
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
There is a section here on intercot http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122549on what to watch for when you are renting DVC points. You can make ADR's with your reservation number. The only thing you will not get is daily maid service.

eeyoremom
05-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Welcome to intercot!!! I'll start by saying I'm the grandma. We have stayed with various of our children's families with grandchildren. We really like POR or POFQ. We always ask for connecting rooms, and we have always been given connecting rooms. I know they are not guaranteed, but they will try to get them for you. We love the boat ride to downtown disney. The 2 bathrooms are great. We always give our kids a nite out and we watch the kids. We do put them to bed in their room tho. The same thing can be done at the values, but the moderates are a little larger and a few more amenities. We have had bigger groups than what you are going to have. Have fun whatever you choice

catsmommy555
05-12-2009, 12:36 PM
We are a family of 7 and always take one more with us our kids ages are 3,4,16,16 and 17. We always mostly stay at sports and have never had trouble with taking transportation at anytime during the day. If you are at parks right when they are closed you may have to wait but ither than that is was always clear sailing for us. We always get adjoining rooms and you could get away with a king room for the grand parents and the other 5 registered in the other room as your little one does not count towards the room. That would be your cheapest way to go.

tinkerbellybutton
05-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!! This site is great. I am planning to look into all options. Here are a few more questions-

1) Value resorts - I realize these are the lowest priced but did anyone find that the transportation was a big hassle? We have 3 young children and want to be able to come back for afternoon rest. We stayed in the WL lodge last May so perhaps we are "spoiled." Does anyone know if we can get a family suite for my family of five with an adjoining king room for my parents?

Thanks so much!!!

I'm not sure about the suites but when we stayed at Pop Century the busses were only for that resort. We have stayed at All Star Movies and Sports and they share busses with other All Star resorts so that may be a consideration for transportation. I actually found the busses at Pop to be better than at our favorite resort, POR.

mouse-logic
05-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Rent the DVC points and get a 2bd room villa. There are 2 bathrooms, the grandparents can have the king bed, and you will be closer to one or more parks than any of the value resorts. The transportation will be more convenient, the pools, shops, restaurants and other amenities are far superior to the values. Price wise, yeah, it will still cost more for 2bd rm villa renting points, than two adjoining rooms at a value, but its worth it. Plus you get a full kitchen--never underestimate the benefits of a full sized refrigerator.