PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon in Disney World with first timer

parrothed26
05-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi, Im getting married August 15th and my new wife and I are going to Disney Word for our honeymoon for 5 days (my shortest trip ever!) but its all the time we have. Ive been to WDW about 30 times by my best guess, she however has never been. I want her to be as addicted to the place as I am so I wont have any trouble spending the money to get back lol. I have my set routines, MK on the first and last days, shows, water parks etc. But I really need to make this an amazing trip for her, being her first impression of WDW. Any special ideas? Places to go, things to see for a first time adult? Thanks :mickey:

SBETigg
05-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Don't worry. It's going to be great. She'll get there and love it, too. My husband thought I was crazy when I suggested a Disney honeymoon, but I'm lucky that he was willing to indulge my whims. I think he was picturing a Six Flags type of place. It's really hard for people who have never been to imagine the whole Disney experience and how it's so much more than a theme park. Now he loves it almost as much as I do. I'm bordering on obsessive, and he's not quite that far gone- but he does love it.

I would recommend to take it slow. Think of the things you really want her to see and do, the things that make it special for you, and don't try to fit in everything and do too much. Make a plan, but be flexible. Our favorite places are the Magic Kingdom (we run around like kids) and World Showcase (where we enjoy being a little more adult in shopping and dining). Make ADRs. I like California Grill, 'Ohana, Grand Floridian Cafe, Narcoossee's, Teppan Edo/Tokyo Dining, Rose & Crown, Chefs de France, Marrakesh, Boma. Maybe fit in a character breakfast. Enjoy the parks, but maybe enjoy some lingering afternoon breaks at your resort. Best wishes and have a wonderful time!

TheMartellFamily
05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Have dinner at California Grill during fireworks at the MK, makes the idea of saying I do worth it, the food is good too. Enjoy the time together. Take things slowly since she has never been there and let her take it all in. We tell ourselves that if we miss anything we know we will be back. Congrats on your new life together and enjoy the Honeymoon!

spoiledraf
05-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Boardwalk Garden Suite. Quiet, romantic, yet close to parks and great dining options. Pricey? Yes! But you said you wanted to impress her.

But...you may also spoil her and she may expect top of the line every time.

Congratulations and good luck.

Ryan Towle
05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
That'sssssss pretty crazy, because I'm taking my girlfriend (not a honeymoon), in August...also for 5 days...and she's never been before...and I also want her to love it as much as I do...We're going the 9th-14th though, so we'll just miss ya.:eek:

PixieMagic
05-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Go Poly Garden view - let them know it's your HM and 9/10 times they'll bump you to concierge! It's a super romantic resort and seeing the castle everynight from your hotel will WOW her. I took my husband for his first trip to WDW on our honeymoon and he still brags about it...we took it slow but got most everything in and we only did 5 days as well. A couple things that made him go wow: I surprised him with the Segway tour that goes through world showcase before the park opened (he was amazed), set up a call from mickey to his cell on the morning we left for the airport (saying he'd see him real soon!), took an afternoon at the Poly and just swam, layed in hamocks, and rented the sea raycers to zip around the resorts and MK, and we spent the first night sipping Lapu Lapu's, sharing a hammock, and watching the fireworks/EWP:cloud9:
Also, don't be shy! Wear those bride and groom ears and buttons with pride! The CM's go out of their way to make things magical for you!!! Congrats and have fun!!!

dmosher
05-11-2009, 02:51 AM
Had the exact same experience (Honeymoon was on her 2nd trip) and she loved it so much SHE suggested it for our honeymoon. I can't speak for her (so I will ask her to weigh in on this one) but I know one thing that makes a perfect and easy romantic night.

Go to EPCOT and watch the closing fireworks. Now sit and wait. Everyone will leave rather quickly. Wait a little longer, talk about what you want to do tomorrow, whatever it takes to keep her occupied until the crowds are gone. Are they gone? Good, now stand up, take her hand and go walking around the world showcase in the dark. the lights are still on but low and trust me it is the most romantic thing in WDW. Truly!
She will love it!
:pipes:
D

PixieMagic
05-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Had the exact same experience (Honeymoon was on her 2nd trip) and she loved it so much SHE suggested it for our honeymoon. I can't speak for her (so I will ask her to weigh in on this one) but I know one thing that makes a perfect and easy romantic night.

Go to EPCOT and watch the closing fireworks. Now sit and wait. Everyone will leave rather quickly. Wait a little longer, talk about what you want to do tomorrow, whatever it takes to keep her occupied until the crowds are gone. Are they gone? Good, now stand up, take her hand and go walking around the world showcase in the dark. the lights are still on but low and trust me it is the most romantic thing in WDW. Truly!
She will love it!
:pipes:
D

Ditto that...plus the walk through FW is amazing as well...the music playing, the dancing fountain with the lit up SSE in the background...so romantic!:cloud9:

LauraF
05-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Ours wasn't a honeymoon, but I took my BF there for the first time a few years back and he's more anxious to go back this year than I am (which is saying something!)

His big worry was that it would be 'for kids' and be all Dumbo rides and carousels and too may cute things. (This from the man who fell in love with Philharmagic. hehehe) I balanced it out by having more of an emphasis on the things I knew he'd like to do, especially if they got us out of crowds.

And yes, another vote for walking around the lagoon after Illuminations. Best. Date. Ever.

egospotter
05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I took my husband to Disney World for our honeymoon and it was his first time. He was hooked without me having to do anything and said "we are coming back here every year for our anniversary, right?" Well, we are now nearing our 3rd anniversary and have yet to miss a year.

I would say that a cool thing to do for any first timer is to find something at the world that ties into a special interest of there's, a tour or a special place to eat comes to mind. I took dh on the Behind our Steam Trains tour (it was my first time to) because he is really into trains. It was something that we could share together and a way to show him how really cool WDW is beyond the rides and shows.

An important time for anyone bringing first-timers for the first time: be clear on your plans and strategies. We know what to skip first-thing and come back to later, but they don't. And it's hard to give them too much information because you want just about everything to be a surprise. So when you are passing by a show in progress to high-tail it to Splash Mountain, make sure you've made it clear that you aren't skipping things, you are going to get back to them later. Or be ready to compromise. We got into our first married fight because of this. Now, even though he's been there 3 times, I make sure to go over every schedule with him. That way we are on the same page and I can always go back and say "hey, we agreed!"

Dulcee
05-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Best tip for taking a first timer: Take your time!

With 5 days you aren't going to see it/do it all but you can do a lot. So breath and enjoy seeing her reactions to the places/attractions you love. And if you don't get to every must do its not a big deal.

Also, from a female perspective, try to remember its a honeymoon and not just another vacation. WDW is a fantastic place for treating your new wife like a princess. You may want to check out a massage or spa package, private dining in your room one night, or making a dinner reservation at a signature dining restaurant with the notation that you are there celebrating your honeymoon.

Congrats and Enjoy!

GAN
05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Have dinner at California Grill during fireworks at the MK, makes the idea of saying I do worth it, the food is good too.

I agree. It is a great atmosphere and offers excellent food/service, along with one of the best Wine Lists around. Remember that there is a viewing deck that will allow you outside to watch and get a better view.

A couple things that made him go wow: I surprised him with the Segway tour that goes through world showcase before the park opened (he was amazed)

This a great idea. We did it as well and felt it was one of those things that you don't get to do just anywhere. Our guide gave us a pretty thorough World Showcase tour, filling us in on a lot of secrets and explanations.

WDW is a fantastic place for treating your new wife like a princess. You may want to check out a massage or spa package

I can recommend Mandara Spa at the Swan/Dolphin -my girlfriend(now fiance) loved it. Not sure how it rates with the GF or SSR spas.

PixieMagic
05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Just thought of another...arrange a special surprise with your hotel...DH somehow got in touch with the resort beforehand or maybe sometime during our trip and had a "special surprise" waiting for us in our room when we got back from the parks that night! There were wedding balloons, a white chocolate sea shell filled with m&m's, a plush stitch (my fav), a lilo and stitch photo frame with a card from him, chocolate covered strawberries with the plates and napkins aranged in the form of a mickey head with box tie, and a pic of mickey and minnie with a special message from them! It was simply amazing!!:cloud9:

Cinderella's mom
05-11-2009, 07:31 PM
First let me say that I used to live in Hattiesburg, so congrats!!!

Now on to what you asked about. It was my husband's first time! I thought he would love it as much as I did! Needless to say, I cried on more than one occasion when he didn't! :( It was not that crowded, wonderful weather, and decorated for Christmas. What more could anyone ask for? :mickey:

Anyway, he liked the other park up I-4 better. I was shocked! I mean, who doesn't LOVE Disney? And how could I have married him?

We are celebrating our ten year anniversary this year at WDW and now that we have children, he likes Disney! He is still not a Disney Nut like me, but he is getting better! LOL! Our daughter is 7 and this will be her 5th trip. Our son is 2 and this will be his 2nd. Actually his 3rd, but I was pregnant his first trip!

Anyway, if you tell the CM that it is your HM, they really go out of their way to make it special! We got to ride in a boat all by ourselves in Pirates and several others. Although, they would always tell us that cameras would be watching the whole ride to make sure we did not do anything on the rides, I guess... LOL! We ate at the Castle for dinner. The horse drawn carriage ride at POR was so romantic! Make sure you watch all of the fireworks! Wishes is our favorite! :cloud9:Depending on where you stay, it can be so romantic! We liked staying at POR in the Mansion section. Since we live not far from NOLA, it reminds us a lot of the antebellum homes there and in Natchez. But LOVE the AKL! We stayed our last trip there and he doesn't want to stay anywhere else!

Best of luck on your wedding!!!

parrothed26
05-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Thank You all so much! these ideas are great. I cant wait to do them all lol. I have the most amazing woman and I want her to see this one wonderful place as I do.

AmandaChan
05-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Just don't forget your Just Married pins so everyone can give you extra attention!

PixieMagic
05-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Thank You all so much! these ideas are great. I cant wait to do them all lol. I have the most amazing woman and I want her to see this one wonderful place as I do.

Awww! That's so sweet!:cloud9: